Pregnancy And Parenting

He's a lot brighter today, although he's not himself yet. In my opinion if he had been kept in hospital the first time he went he would be back to normal now, as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if he has another relapse.

The NHS is obviously under tremendous pressure for bed space, but horsing people, particularly children, in and out of hospital only exacerbates the bed pressure. "Most sick" admitted, "least sick" rather than "recovered" discharged is a recipe for disaster.

There was a bit of a contretemps at the hospital the last time he was admitted, as the parents of another quite ill, but not as seriously ill, child felt their child should have been admitted as well, naturally enough on their part. I understand they were told in no uncertain terms they would have to wait their turn - which was probably logical, but not very tactful.

The GP has been very good in all this, the problem lies with the hospital, or more accurately, those who have decided to close hospitals willy nilly, while failing to equip Antrim to cope with the extra patients - bed wise, nurse wise and doctor wise.

Not good.

We've had the complete opposite experience with hospital here when our two have been in with breathing problems, as they both have been several times. On the contrary they will admit no matter how minor it appears and won't let us go home until they are absolutely 100%, not 98% or 97%. We've had some absolutely fabulous treatment up in Ward 15 at DGRI and I understand why they adopt a zero risk policy, but most times the final night has been wholly unnecessary. The last time we were in they did let us go a night earlier than we thought they would but that only because we live within a mile of the hospital and have been over the course so often that we know the signs and to whip them straight back in when we see them.

My two year old (on Wednesday) sang 'Happy Birthday' to his 3 year old brother yesterday. :D

Not good.

We've had the complete opposite experience with hospital here when our two have been in with breathing problems, as they both have been several times. On the contrary they will admit no matter how minor it appears and won't let us go home until they are absolutely 100%, not 98% or 97%. We've had some absolutely fabulous treatment up in Ward 15 at DGRI and I understand why they adopt a zero risk policy, but most times the final night has been wholly unnecessary. The last time we were in they did let us go a night earlier than we thought they would but that only because we live within a mile of the hospital and have been over the course so often that we know the signs and to whip them straight back in when we see them.

My two year old (on Wednesday) sang 'Happy Birthday' to his 3 year old brother yesterday. :D

That's nice - did you capture it for posterity?! smile.gif

The two year old in our family isn't particularly articulate, although she's getting there. She scolded her big brother all the way home in the car yesterday, and boy, was she cross! Maybe just as well she's not speaking too clealy, some of those words might not have been fit for hearing.

The wee grandson is nearly back to normal now, although he's still got a bit of a wheezle in his chest, he hasn't vomited today and he has eaten something. In fact, he is so much back to normal he has had to be confined to his play pen, as he was wrecking the living room, and nearly did his wee brother serious damage with one of his mummy's boots! So he is obviously on the right road, I think if he gets tonight over him without any mishaps he'll be nearly there.

No definitive answer about what was wrong with him, probably was a virus.

Add another one to the not very well list.

He's picked up a chest infection again so is on another course of antibiotics, he had a similar infection when he was six months and his medication cleared it up within a couple of days, three at most, hoping for the same again.

The doctor suggested putting a bowl of water underneath his radiator to get some moisture in the air in his room to help his wheezing, which definately helped. You could actually hear it through to monitor the previous night it was that bad. :(

Edit to add - noticed a flash of white at the top of his mouth over the weekend, checked it out an he's sprouted not one or two, but four wee teeth. Without so much as a wimper. Lad!

Edited by Cyber_soccer

My 3 and a half year old (Hannah) has been "waking" absolutely screaming and petrified looking and at times walking out of her room completely disorientated. When we've been trying to settle her she is completely non responsive, only occasionally muttering some randoms words and noises. At times when we have thought she has settled back down her eyes fire wide open and she bolts upright, almost as if possessed. It's pretty upsetting to watch TBH, especially as it seems we can't control it. This has happened at 9:30pm every night bar 2 for the past week. Due to her screams she is also inadvertently waking up Ruaridh (now 4 months old) which is making for one tired pair of mummy and daddy.

I have done a wee bit of googling and it sounds very much like night terrors. Has anyone had to deal with this and know of any tips /advice as to how to help tackle it?

My oldest daughter does that (she's 6 now), from memory, she started with a run of it over a couple of weeks too but it didn't last to long, she talks in her sleep most nights though; mostly complete nonsense with the odd comprehensible word, last night it was along the lines of "(blah blah) because (blah blah) in there eyes". luckily it doesn't ever disturb her sister as she doesn't shout out.

The sleep walking doesn't happen too often, maybe once a month or so, although even when she gets up to go to the toilet she has no recollection of it in the morning and she's non-responsive if you speak to her. Every now and then you get the spooky ones where she'll be standing next to our bed or in the hall stock still staring at us. sometimes she'll just stand there for half an hour or so completely unaware of herself. she's got big dark brown eyes too, so they look black and demonic in the middle of the night, and you know she's not awake because they just look completely hollow and soulless. I'm fine with it, and just shephard her back to bed, but there's been a few times when I've been woken up by the wife screaming in fright!

incidently, it doesn't bother my daughter in the slightest so we've never felt the need to get it checked out, she just seems to be on autopilot with the occasional hit of the pause button!.

Another poorly child here. Adam picked Charlie up from the nursery today to find out that he'd had a sleep while he was there. Charlie gave up his regular afternoon nap almost two years ago. He's had the occasional nap since, but it's only when he's been up half the night or he's not well. Once he got home, he sat on the sofa and didnt move. He didn't want any dinner, he even refused a Dairylea cheese strip and he's been known to go and sneak them out of the fridge at 5am. He didn't want a drink, he said he was "too sad" for a cuddle. He's got one bright red cheek and he's really warm. His breath smells very strange, exactly like my eldest did whenever he had tonsilitis. He ended up having a lie down on our bed with the telly on for an hour. Most days he couldn't sit still to save himself. He perked up a bit after a dose of Calpol, just enough to have a small bowl of soup but then returned to the sofa and then asked to go to bed at 7. I really hope it's not as serious as tonsilitis, but we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

Took him to the doctor this morning because he developed a rash along with everything else. Scarlet fever. Not quite as exotic as its yellow cousin, but I'd feel quite proud if we were having a competition on here.

Took him to the doctor this morning because he developed a rash along with everything else. Scarlet fever. Not quite as exotic as its yellow cousin, but I'd feel quite proud if we were having a competition on here.

Scarlet fever used to be a killer, I had an uncle who contracted it as a child (1920s), and it damaged his heart. He died a young man. Of course, smoking wouldn't have helped him.

I don't think scarlet fever is a big problem nowadays.

Scarlet fever used to be a killer, I had an uncle who contracted it as a child (1920s), and it damaged his heart. He died a young man. Of course, smoking wouldn't have helped him.

I don't think scarlet fever is a big problem nowadays.

No, the doctor was saying it's rarely serious these days and it's not very common anymore. We phoned the nursery to let them know and they've not had any other reports of it, so we're not really sure where he would have picked it up from, but he's an otherwise healthy boy so I don't see it being too much of a problem for him. He seemed really poorly on Friday night but since then he's just been a bit sleepy and grumpy - the latter not being so much of a symptom as an exaggeration of his short-tempered self! She also said that it's something that he's unlikely to catch for a second time after having had it once, so it's just another thing to get out of the way! I just wish he'd hurry up and get chicken pox from someone now!

our 5 and a half month old has developed insomnia she used to sleep from 8 to 8 waking up once for a feed. now she goes down at 8 up at midnight again at 3 and again at 5. The 5 am one its like she thinks its morning and time to get up. last night it was every hour and a half :( we recently started weening her with baby rice and mashed up veg at tea time and then porridge in the morning if that matters

our 5 and a half month old has developed insomnia she used to sleep from 8 to 8 waking up once for a feed. now she goes down at 8 up at midnight again at 3 and again at 5. The 5 am one its like she thinks its morning and time to get up. last night it was every hour and a half :( we recently started weening her with baby rice and mashed up veg at tea time and then porridge in the morning if that matters

She's probably just getting to the age where whens she's waking she's realising mummy and daddy will come running through once she starts crying. Google the Ferber method, it worked for us within a three nights and he's slept right through since.

edit - we didnt try this method untill he was 8 and a half months but i've just had a quick look and 5 an a half months shouldnt be too early to try it.

Edited by Cyber_soccer

Our wee one smiled for the first time today! tongue.gif

That's a brilliant feeling.

When I got home from work on Tuesday night I could hear Jack crying from the front door (grumpy rather than any issue) and as soon as he saw me he stopped crying and gave me a big grin. No feeling like it! (he went back to being grumpy shortly afterwards.)

Edited by diamonds2002