Pregnancy And Parenting

Congratulations Debbie. :)

Just thinking of the great feeling I had holding my newborn kids for the first time makes me kinda sad that I'm now a Jaffa.

I remember the joy of holding my son for the first time, proud to show the world I wasn't a jaffa.

Well done Debbie, but don't panic, we have all been there staring at the baby wondering why the f**k it wont shut up. I remember changing Cameron's nappy 4 times in one hour as he had just been fed and was still crying, so I thought it was wet nappy time.

Just get a pact with your other half that anythingsaid during the night to each other, shouldn't be held against you.

Oh and its OK to think kids are rubbish in the first few months, as they provide no entertainment.

Guest The Phoenix
Oh and its OK to think kids are rubbish in the first few months, as they provide no entertainment.

Probably the best piece of advice I have ever read on P&B.

Brilliant, WB, quite brilliant.

I remember the joy of holding my son for the first time, proud to show the world I wasn't a jaffa.

Well done Debbie, but don't panic, we have all been there staring at the baby wondering why the f**k it wont shut up. I remember changing Cameron's nappy 4 times in one hour as he had just been fed and was still crying, so I thought it was wet nappy time.

Just get a pact with your other half that anythingsaid during the night to each other, shouldn't be held against you.

That was one of the best bits of advice I got, you said it to me as well.

It's when you get home from hospital and the grandparents and the rest of the welcome home party leave you suddenlt think "f**k shite c**t w**k f**k shite bollocks" but you muddle through and then you wonder why you ever worried!

The first 6 weeks, getting feeding established and adjusting to life with a newborn are tough and at times really lonely.

Oh and the day 3 baby blues, I just cracked during visiting and everyone suddenly needed a cuppa and I curlled up and cried for about an hour :lol:

Guest The Phoenix

Probably not the right thread but I can't help but think that "The Black Nappy" would be an excellent choice of user name for a certain poster who changes his nom de plume on a monthly basis.

Ah, don't worry. Just remember to use cotton wool and NOT a baby wipe!

I didn't use baby wipes for at least the first month and just warm water in the bath with a wee drop of olive for a lot longer.

I didn't use baby wipes for at least the first month and just warm water in the bath with a wee drop of olive for a lot longer.

There's a few of things I refuse to use on a baby's skin - baby powder, lotion and soap - just because of what they can actually do to skin and what they contain. They might smell nice, but they're actually not particularly good. I can't remember all the names of the ingredients now, but just off the top of my head, baby powder can actually cause eczema and any form of powder is carcinogenic.

There's a few of things I refuse to use on a baby's skin - baby powder, lotion and soap - just because of what they can actually do to skin and what they contain. They might smell nice, but they're actually not particularly good. I can't remember all the names of the ingredients now, but just off the top of my head, baby powder can actually cause eczema and any form of powder is carcinogenic.

I use the Johnstones tip to toe on him and that's it. I'm lucky as he has excellent skin which I think is prob because I have avioded them. I had great plans not use disposable nappies but TBH I chose badly and that one went a bit tits up :( I'd use Bumgenius next time but not sure it's worth the outlay with just over a year (hopefully) to go.

The Top to Toe stuff is good, although if I'm honest, if I was buying his bath stuff myself (we're STILL using the stuff we were given when he was born! I can't believe how far this stuff goes), I'd use something that doesn't foam in the bath, as it causes dryness. Thankfully, he doesn't seem to have trouble with his skin at all, but then I only use the tiniest drop to make as little lather as possible.

I said I was going to use terry nappies. Hasn't actually worked out at all! I did for my second though and I actually really enjoyed it. It's a pain in the winter, but in the summer it's brilliant getting a washing line full of bright, white terry nappies. :D We just don't have the room here to dry them all.

Congrats to Debbie and Ryan!

WTF is this black nappy stuff??? :o

I'll tell you when you're older. :P

Seriously, if you really want to know, Google search "meconium". I advise against it unless you're a bit of a sicko or about to become a parent, though.

Probably not the right thread but I can't help but think that "The Black Nappy" would be an excellent choice of user name for a certain poster who changes his nom de plume on a monthly basis.
The Black Nappy can't agree with this as The Black Nappy has been busy these past few weeks researching the recurrence of black tar-like substances within terry towelling environs. The Black Nappy has ascertained that the tar like substance neither smells nor tastes quite as lovely as the cheesy snacks which doth go by the name of 'Wotsits'. The Black Nappy is going on the pull tonight, although The Black Nappy is also spoiling for a fight. These days.