Pregnancy And Parenting

8 minutes ago, Lex said:

Our first little boy was born on Friday evening, and he’s a chunky wee smasher - 8 pounds 11.
All the staff at the RAH in Paisley were great and mum and baby got allowed home 24 hours after he was born, now for the real fun stuff… Those first nappies are some weird shit, literally emoji28.png
Think I’ve read right though this thread from page one onwards in the last nine months. It’s like an epic novel at points, with a few pages between nervous pregnancy announcement and first days at school, and a few terribly sad stories I had no idea of.
Some great tips in there too, definitely the best of PNB, I’ve decided it’s the only parenting resource I need emoji1316.png

Congrats young Lex and welcome to the world your wee yin.  Hope your Mrs is in good health.

You will love being a dad..  Wee weans are absolutely fascinating.- even when they grow up!

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

My three were born before the aged of 3/4D scanners - so the best you got was a thermal paper print-off.  That was magic in itself so I am delighted for you and how things have progressed.

All the best to your Mrs and the wee one.

Thank you, it's very much appreciated. 

I was more than happy with the 2d ones from the side, seing the heart beating is somethung else. 

7 hours ago, Lex said:

Our first little boy was born on Friday evening, and he’s a chunky wee smasher - 8 pounds 11.
All the staff at the RAH in Paisley were great and mum and baby got allowed home 24 hours after he was born, now for the real fun stuff… Those first nappies are some weird shit, literally emoji28.png
Think I’ve read right though this thread from page one onwards in the last nine months. It’s like an epic novel at points, with a few pages between nervous pregnancy announcement and first days at school, and a few terribly sad stories I had no idea of.
Some great tips in there too, definitely the best of PNB, I’ve decided it’s the only parenting resource I need emoji1316.png

That's absolutely fantastic news Lex 👍 

I've had a good read through the thread over the past few months and calling it an epic novel is about right! 

20 hours ago, Lex said:

Congrats Lex. 

This thread really is an excellent place, has been a great resource for me from when I first posted in here as a very nervous 18 year old soon to be father, all the way through to today, as I post as a 30 year old father of 3. 

Was away with work so missed the 20 week scan, had a private one done to find out the gender, absolutely magic. 

I've always been very non plussed about 3/4d scans but I quickly changed my mind seing the wee one like that for the first time, incredible. 

Was that at the place in Edinburgh? We got a 3/4d scan there with our first and it was so clear, it was fantastic.

58 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Was that at the place in Edinburgh? We got a 3/4d scan there with our first and it was so clear, it was fantastic.

Nah this was one in Dunfermline, there's a few dotted about the place, had a scan done at Dundee in the early days of the pregnancy aswell. With it being so early it wasnt a 3/4d one though. 

All the staff at the RAH in Paisley were great and mum and baby got allowed home 24 hours after he was born, now for the real fun stuff… Those first nappies are some weird shit, literally [emoji28]
Some great tips in there too, definitely the best of PNB, I’ve decided it’s the only parenting resource I need [emoji1316]
It's threads like this and the depression thread that make p&b so much more than a football forum.

It's a genuine community, and we all need as much of that in our lives as possible (no matter who we are).

Nah this was one in Dunfermline, there's a few dotted about the place, had a scan done at Dundee in the early days of the pregnancy aswell. With it being so early it wasnt a 3/4d one though. 

Not planning on having anymore, but just curiosity, where in Dunfermline is it?
Used to be in Dunfermline quite often and probably passed it.

On the subject of finding out the gender. Did anyone on here NOT want to find out? I never with both mines, but mrs B let it slip both times. The first one was during half time at the Seville v Espanyol final at Hampden (funny how the small details stick with you) and the second, she was talking to my mum right infront of me (but seemingly oblivious to the fact i was there) she said “yeah, it is fine because we will just be able to keep all the blue stuff”

This has been hell today. Wee yin struggles with colic (all colic medicine isn't worth a f**k, yet they seemingly get to charge you as if it's liquid gold) and she wants held quite often through the day and sometimes night, but it takes around 4 seconds for both of us to reach the temperature of lava in this heat. The end result is two of us lying down next to each other on a cold floor, sweating and crying our eyes out for different reasons. 

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This has been hell today. Wee yin struggles with colic (all colic medicine isn't worth a f**k, yet they seemingly get to charge you as if it's liquid gold) and she wants held quite often through the day and sometimes night, but it takes around 4 seconds for both of us to reach the temperature of lava in this heat. The end result is two of us lying down next to each other on a cold floor, sweating and crying our eyes out for different reasons. 

Is baby bottle fed? Try a larger teet. Keep them as upright as possible during the feed and after. If it doesn't settle in normal time scales it could be a lactose intolerance. If breastfeeding Mrs could try going dairy free. Raise the head end of the Moses basket/cot. 

7 hours ago, buchan30 said:

On the subject of finding out the gender. Did anyone on here NOT want to find out? I never with both mines, but mrs B let it slip both times. The first one was during half time at the Seville v Espanyol final at Hampden (funny how the small details stick with you) and the second, she was talking to my mum right infront of me (but seemingly oblivious to the fact i was there) she said “yeah, it is fine because we will just be able to keep all the blue stuff”

We didn’t find out. Didn’t matter, as long as it (turned out to be she) was healthy then the rest didn’t matter. 

7 hours ago, buchan30 said:

We didnt find out, cant remember why.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We had similar problems, before my mother in law suggested we ask our health visitor to check if it was silent reflux. She was right and we ended up getting baby gaviscon on repeat prescription and free. Sure it took a week or so but hes, generally, a lot better.

8 hours ago, buchan30 said:

We didn’t get a 3d scan there, but with our youngest we went to the scan studio on Chalmers Street in Dunfermline for an early scan as my wife was feeling pretty sick and we didn’t want to tell family before we’d had a first scan.

On finding out, we didn’t find out with any of ours. Wanted to keep it a surprise, and it also meant we weren’t tempted to buy loads of shite that would never get used anyway because you get given so much when they arrive!

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Is baby bottle fed? Try a larger teet. Keep them as upright as possible during the feed and after. If it doesn't settle in normal time scales it could be a lactose intolerance. If breastfeeding Mrs could try going dairy free. Raise the head end of the Moses basket/cot. 

Tried it all, new bottles, new teets, sitting up, burping every ounce, it all makes very little difference.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We had similar problems, before my mother in law suggested we ask our health visitor to check if it was silent reflux. She was right and we ended up getting baby gaviscon on repeat prescription and free. Sure it took a week or so but hes, generally, a lot better.

On gaviscon, which has stopped her bringing up milk so often but the colicky squirming and screaming still goes on. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

On gaviscon, which has stopped her bringing up milk so often but the colicky squirming and screaming still goes on. 

Yeah its a nightmare, and just horrible. Cant remember exactly how long it took the gaviscon to work but it did settle him down eventually, definitely took a while to have some effect though.

We're 3/4 months in now and its virtually gone.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah its a nightmare, and just horrible. Cant remember exactly how long it took the gaviscon to work but it did settle him down eventually, definitely took a while to have some effect though.

We're 3/4 months in now and its virtually gone.

She's been on it since Friday so maybe it will calm down a bit more, still feels to me like something else is bothering her though.

59 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

She's been on it since Friday so maybe it will calm down a bit more, still feels to me like something else is bothering her though.

My wee one ended up on some cocktail of all sorts stuff, gaviscone, omeprizole etc horrible time as there's nothing you can do.

46 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My wee one ended up on some cocktail of all sorts stuff, gaviscone, omeprizole etc horrible time as there's nothing you can do.

Aye, we've just about accepted we've probably got at least another 6 weeks of this, which is a lovely thought...

On 19/07/2022 at 06:48, RandomGuy. said:

I would have thought that was the answer.

Colic usually - usually - clears up by itself, after about 3 months?, but it is more than extremely stressful while it is happening.

On 07/07/2022 at 12:33, scottsdad said:

My step daughter has been with her new boyfriend for a few months and gave us the "great news" that she is pregnant. 

Trying to hide my disappointment and failing. She has 2 already she is barely coping with. 26 this year and never worked or went to college. I had wanted so much more for her life and she keeps chucking it away on gormless guys. 

I've a stepdaughter like that. Fortunately she hasn't got pregnant by them all, just the one. And, at the time he came along, he seemed a distinct improvement on the previous boyfriend.

But we have got 3 grandchildren out of it, so not all bad.

In fact, all my stepdaughters seem to chose unsuitable men, imo.