The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I can take a 0-0 draw in the Iron Man Match if they have a few points where you genuinely think the match can end, but because of how they paced it, not once did I think there was ever any danger of a fall coming. To take an old football phrase, it had 0-0 written all over it. It had nice moments, but for the most part, it was resting, resting and more resting, and people have gone on to show that it's not hard to show lots of effort over an hour long match. Hell, some have even done it over 90 minutes.

I've seen thing that tell me Gen-ME could be awesome, but they use to many spots for my liking.

That's their main problem. Have them in there with a team that has no idea how to handle them and it comes across like just a bunch of moves and not much else. Put them in there with an established team that can hold their hands and they suddenly become infinately more watchable.

:D dom that was classic! now why can't they have kick ass stable rivalry and funny promos like that anymore! the whole Raw set what better then, now it just looks too over produced

Also regarding the Sandman entrance, that is truely one of the greatest, I'm an ECW Mark, I love legendary entrances and this one has to be up there!

this is maybe my fav entrance in WCW just one that sticks in my mind as one I enjoyed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbKmQ1q8qu0

Thats the main reason for me why WWE is shit these days....a complete lack of not only a stable but stable vs stable rivalry.

On the point about it being over produced....is it every old school fan who longs for the old days?laugh.gif .....the days with the absolutely shite set....wan big massive curtain with a titantron and a ramp...simples.

best thing about dx vs the nation was they weren't TOP stars in the rivalry

like we had the rock vs triple h intercontinental championship matches and HHH vs owen and N.A.O. vs henry/godfather/d'lo. The thing with stables nowadays is they try to make them epic with putting the top guys in them like in the readyfail Main Event Mafia, they put all the top guys in one stable, this was shite as they had no opposition and controlled the titles

Evolution was a decent stable as it had guys of different generations in it, but yet there was no other stable rivalry and they faded out.

I would love to see Kofi, Mark henry, MVP and R-Truth in a stable and maybe they could have a rivalry with Miz, Show, Morrison and McIntyre? just a bunch of mid carders that would probably be more entertaining as a stable, losing the individuality and having just 1 entrance song per stable, maybe teddy long as manager of the nation mark 2.

Stables are a dying breed now, I'm still hoping for a Nash-Hall-Sting-Pac stable to be formed in TNA soon

For those of you who watch NXT, do you think any of the rookies can become stars?

It's an enjoyable show and all but I can't see any of them becoming major players.

Bryan and Slater are both good workers, but are far too small to make it in the land of giants and the rest of them are just bland FCW guys, no different to the Drew McIntyres, Tyler Reks' and Ricky Ortiz's of this world.

Oh and why the hell is Ashleys old music now one of the WM themes!?

Oh and why the hell is Ashleys old music now one of the WM themes!?

I thought I'd heard that song used in WWE numerous times before but couldn't think when and for what!

I agree about Drew McIntyre's entrance. Excellent stuff.

As for NXT, I'm not sure. I think big Wade Barrett has the potential to become a star. Daniel Bryan is obviously going to win it and get his chance to become a star so we'll find out with him. I'm not so sure he can, but then I look at some of the upper midcarders they have just now and he can be probably be better than most of them. Possibly Otunga as well with a gimmick where he think's he's amazing due to being on reality TV shows and being married to a celeb.

Edited by garymcc1874

Not just those aspects of the old days. Most of the gimmicks from the late 80s and early 90s would work these days. WWE should be trying to get that sort of lineup of characters out there.

What do you mean Dom Dom?

What ones do you think could be worked now? I think this guy might still work :D

What do you mean Dom Dom?

What ones do you think could be worked now? I think this guy might still work biggrin.gif

Honestly, if we're talking late 80s to early 90s, you could say that probably EVERY character would work in a PG WWE if they hadn't existed before. I was more referring to having characters LIKE them, rather than the exact same characters.

For those of you who watch NXT, do you think any of the rookies can become stars?

Otunga has the most potential I'd say as he just has "it". He can stand backstage and get a rollicking from R-Truth with John Morrison in there. He could do nothing and still show more charisma than the rest of the people in the room.

The black John Cena just has no chance. Absolutely none. Unless he has a hair cut, a face change and more. I'm under the impression that we're gonna get swerved and he's gonna actually BE Cena.

Daniel Bryan if he spends a few years with WWE, WILL make it. Probably for the same reasons that Benoit did. WWE recognize great wrestlers who work their arses off and are slightly over. Benoit was never that major and didn't have the size or charisma, but WWE felt he deserved his moment purely because he was probably the best in the world at the time.

Right another thing ...

Smackdown are finally beginning to get things right with the Wrestlemania build up. Where did Drew McIntyre buy a character from ? He's suddenly earned some mic skills and charisma. All he needs to do now is actually be over and he might have a shot. Did he win them on the Smackdown game ? Edge is frustrating these days. Having "Spear" as a catchphrase is a channel turner so I didn't actually reach the end of the show. The real highlight was the opening segment though. CM Punk is definately the best guy on the microphone in WWE at the moment.

The real highlight was the opening segment though. CM Punk is definately the best guy on the microphone in WWE at the moment.

Yep, he's shown that time and again over the last few months and at least WWE have recognised that with the amount of airtime he gets - heck, he even got mic time during the Royal Rumble! :D

CM Punk is definately the best guy on the microphone in WWE at the moment.

Unfortunate that he's came along about a decade too late. Punk would have been absolutely fantastic in the attitude era when the reins could have come off him a lot more and there was a lot of stuff for a hardline straight-edge living guy to get pissed off about.

Unfortunate that he's came along about a decade too late. Punk would have been absolutely fantastic in the attitude era when the reins could have come off him a lot more and there was a lot of stuff for a hardline straight-edge living guy to get pissed off about.

In that respect he would have been perfect for RTC.