The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Well, Hogan's massive announcement that would seemingly change the industry forever was, as expected, utter shit and in no way important at all.

He basically said that after 3 decades or so in wrestling, he was retiring forever and was disappearing. The guy hasn't wrestled any meaningful matches since about 2005, and the wresling world, and especially TNA, would be so much better off without him. Of course it will be some sort of angle so he can batter Sting, but I really wish he would f**k off for real, and take Bischoff, Russo and Flair with him.

Well, Hogan's massive announcement that would seemingly change the industry forever was, as expected, utter shit and in no way important at all.

He basically said that after 3 decades or so in wrestling, he was retiring forever and was disappearing. The guy hasn't wrestled any meaningful matches since about 2005, and the wresling world, and especially TNA, would be so much better off without him. Of course it will be some sort of angle so he can batter Sting, but I really wish he would f**k off for real, and take Bischoff, Russo and Flair with him.

Regarding your spoiler...

Not sure how accurate it is, but I've read that Hogan and Bischoff's deals are both coming to an end with TNA around the end of October and haven't been renewed yet...could be wish granted time

Anyone watching the Best of Nitro WWE Special just now? Sting and Flair from the last ever Nitro is on just now, I'm about creaming myself.

Seeing the Naitch has got me thinking - Booker T has his "fave five", who are your "fave five"?

For me:

Current WWE

1) Dolph Ziggler

2) CM Punk

3) The Miz

4) R-Truth

5) Zack Ryder

Current non-WWE (just TNA for me)

1) Austin Aries

2) AJ Styles

3) Bobby Roode

4) Gunner

5) James Storm

All time

1) Ric Flair

2) The Rock

3) Scott Hall

4) Kevin Nash

5) Road Dogg

WWE:

1. CM Punk

2. Christian

3. Cody Rhodes

4. Mark Henry

5. The Miz

TNA:

1. AJ Styles

2. Samoa Joe (so much talent being wasted just now)

3. Kurt Angle

4. Austin Aries

5. Robert Roode

All Time

1. Undertaker

2. The Rock

3. HBK

4. Chris Jericho

5. Stone Cold

Honourable mentions for Ric Flair, Kurt Angle, Triple H, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero who'd make up the rest of "J_Stewart's Top Ten" (patent pending :P ) ever.

Edited by J_Stewart

Current WWE:

1. CM Punk

2. Sheamus

3. Dolph Ziggler

4. Christian

5. Cody Rhodes

All Time:

1. Stone Cold

2. The Rock

3. HHH

4. Mick Foley

5. Chris Jericho

Can't really comment much on TNA as I don't watch it these days but AJ Styles, Angle and Samoa Joe are all great wrestlers.

As for top 5's:

Current:

1. Punk

2. Henry

3. Sheamus

4. Ziggler

5. Danielson

Non-WWE:

1. AJ Styles

2. Colt Cabana

3. Davey Richards

4. El Generico

5. Eddie Edwards

Current WWE

1) Mark Henry

2) Sheamus

3) Triple H

4) Dolph Ziggler

5) Kofi Kingston

Current non-WWE (just TNA for me)

1) Kevin Steen

2) El Generico

3) Akira Tozawa

4) The Young Bucks

5) Eddie Edwards

All time

1) Chris Benoit

2) The Rock

3) Ricky Steamboat

4) Rick Rude

5) Mick Foley

Watching SummerSlam 89 just now. The opening match, The Heart Foundation vs The Brain Busters Makes you wonder.

Why are there no decent tag teams nowadays? And why are there no decent managers anymore? Jim Cornett, Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Slick, Paul Bearer, all huge characters and just as important as the wrestlers.

Perhaps I'm growing out of it but I find wrestling quite boring and stale.

Edited by rexclark

Why are there no decent tag teams nowadays?

Air Boom already showing some promise, but it's too soon to tell, so I'm going to agree with you. The mid-late 80s had an utterly ridiculous tag division in the mainstream. Now you hardly have any.

Look beyond and you have lots of decent tag teams but that shouldn't matter as the main promotions should have more on offer. Triple H seems to have seen this.

The managers thing goes without saying. Ridiculous state of affairs when you consider the past of wrestling.

From a WWE perspective, tag team wrestling has been shit over the last few years with only a period in 2009 where it was actually good, with the battles between Legacy/DX and Jerishow/DX, while there was also the very short brief tag team of Edge/Jericho. Having former World Champions like Y2J and HBK holding the titles brought a sense of credibility to the division.

Since that time a bunch of no talented jobbers have held the titles eg The Hart Dynasty, Santino/Kozlov, The Corre and who can forget the worst tag team of all time, Otunga/McGillicutty. By having such useless superstars, the matches were as dull as the Divas matches and followed the same boring pattern.

Air Boom are a step in the right direction as they're over with the crowd, Kofi is a credible superstar and one who the audience can actually believe in. Their match against Miz/Truth at Night of Champions was very good and i hope it's a step in resurrecting the tag team division.

I do wish they introduced new look tag titles though, as the current ones look pish.

ICW have two big matches coming up...

The First Annual Square Go ( A Rumble match on the same night as the Rumble )

And this match which has gotten every ICW fan going mental with the thought...

ICW Deathmatch: Jack Jester and Chris Renfrew vs. Jimmy Havoc and Iceman

... that match is just sick on every level. Havoc is probably going to take it to the next level of deathmatch though. Wouldn't be surprised if this became one of them ones that people say "oh, that's not even wrestling" about. It's going to be utterly vile though and easily the most insane match on paper in the history of ICW, although that's purely down to the inclusion of Havoc.

ICW have two big matches coming up...

The First Annual Square Go ( A Rumble match on the same night as the Rumble )

And this match which has gotten every ICW fan going mental with the thought...

ICW Deathmatch: Jack Jester and Chris Renfrew vs. Jimmy Havoc and Iceman

... that match is just sick on every level. Havoc is probably going to take it to the next level of deathmatch though. Wouldn't be surprised if this became one of them ones that people say "oh, that's not even wrestling" about. It's going to be utterly vile though and easily the most insane match on paper in the history of ICW, although that's purely down to the inclusion of Havoc.

Where/when?

Anyone Watching HIAC tonight.

Nope. Working tomorrow and the card isn't, IMHO, inspiring enough to either buy it on Box Office or stay up and watch a stream.

I'll probably have a look tomorrow night before Raw if anything of note happens.