Livingston - all the threads merged

9 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:
2 hours ago, Shaun De Bruyne said:
I thought Van Schaik would’ve had some more game time by now, anyone know the script with him?

Difficult for him to get near the team. GHL are a stick on in every game. I imagine that he's there in case someone gets injured.

Think Gallagher is one booking off a suspension.

2 hours ago, Shaun De Bruyne said:

I thought Van Schaik would’ve had some more game time by now, anyone know the script with him?

I have been thinking the same. I thought he'd have been phased in if it was a certainty that we were losing Halkett in this window. However, when I thought about it more, which games do you think we've been comfortable enough in to get him minutes on the pitch? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Edited by crispy

3 minutes ago, crispy said:

Aye, I thought we were gonnae pump Hibs then he would get booked for something petty ahead of Dundee. 

Frustratingly most of his yellow cards have been avoidable; either a needless tackle in the midfield or dissent.

I have been thinking the same. I thought he'd have been phased in if it was a certainty that we were losing Halkett in this window. However, when I thought about it more, which games do you think we've been comfortable enough in to get him minutes on the pitch? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Yeah I thought that was the plan to phase him in and since we haven’t says to me we’ll be keeping Halkett for the rest of the season? Probably just wishful thinking though.

Would’ve been good to have drawn a lower league team in the cup and we could’ve put him in to get a look at him. Anyone seen him in any reserve games?

55 minutes ago, Shaun De Bruyne said:

Yeah I thought that was the plan to phase him in and since we haven’t says to me we’ll be keeping Halkett for the rest of the season? Probably just wishful thinking though.

I wasn't saying this 'out loud'. Reallistically, I don't think we really had much opportunity to put him certainly not before Hardie returned since games are so tight.

55 minutes ago, Shaun De Bruyne said:

Would’ve been good to have drawn a lower league team in the cup and we could’ve put him in to get a look at him. Anyone seen him in any reserve games?

I asked this and couple of folk were helpful enough to indicate that he'd be doing ok alongside Saunders. Imagine he was a total defensive goliath! :lol:

Edited by crispy

43 minutes ago, Shaun De Bruyne said:

He played pretty well in the reserves as a trialist which is why we offered him a contract.  Certainly one for the future and, by all accounts, is very keen to get some real game time. 

He came on for a few minutes in the goalless draw against Celtic and didn't look out of place but strangely hasn't even appeared on the bench since then as far as I can see.  Saunders had appeared on the bench on a couple of occasions since then so I'm not sure if it was his doing that got the lad eased out but with Saunders moving on surely he should get a better opportunity?

The last reserve game was 11th December and the next isnt until 28th Jan as far as I am aware.

3 minutes ago, Durnford said:

He played pretty well in the reserves as a trialist which is why we offered him a contract.  Certainly one for the future and, by all accounts, is very keen to get some real game time. 

He came on for a few minutes in the goalless draw against Celtic and didn't look out of place but strangely hasn't even appeared on the bench since then as far as I can see.  Saunders had appeared on the bench on a couple of occasions since then so I'm not sure if it was his doing that got the lad eased out but with Saunders moving on surely he should get a better opportunity?

The last reserve game was 11th December and the next isnt until 28th Jan as far as I am aware.

Aye, other than the recent game against Aberdeen he hasn't featured on the bench. 

I suppose we have to talk about something until the end of January, haha!

My thinking was that Saunders was 'put in the shop window' by being back on the bench and making couple sub appearances. Seems to have worked. Got him off the books and I'm sure at his age he'd want to play each week anyway. We don't really have any other CBs other than GLH and Van S. He must be on the bench now i'd guess.

28 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Lamie is okay at Central defence but has really stood out on the left. 

Another alternative is to go to a flat four at the back I supposed with McMillan coming in at RB

Lamie def seemed best at LB. Was quality. He injured?

Would be very surprised if van Schaik doesn't play in the friendly against Vitesse next week. Wonder if any trialists will be flying out with the team as well.

Isn't Lamie actually supposed to be a CB? He's been brilliant on the left but would be happy enough with him in the middle if we could get another defensive player to fill in at LWB (we've got Crane at Raith but no idea how he's actually been getting on - and our other options are attackers).

My main worry with Halkett is that he's a big Rangers fan so would probably jump at the chance to go back. However, he isn't 35 yet so probably not even being considered by them.

19 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Would be very surprised if van Schaik doesn't play in the friendly against Vitesse next week. Wonder if any trialists will be flying out with the team as well.

Isn't Lamie actually supposed to be a CB? He's been brilliant on the left but would be happy enough with him in the middle if we could get another defensive player to fill in at LWB (we've got Crane at Raith but no idea how he's actually been getting on - and our other options are attackers).

My main worry with Halkett is that he's a big Rangers fan so would probably jump at the chance to go back. However, he isn't 35 yet so probably not even being considered by them.

Thought Crane did really well in our game against Berwick in the Betfred Cup despite playing alongside a very shaky Saunders (and this was before he'd come up against Celtic). Nippy and good on the attacking break but quick enough to get back and defend when necessary.

Lamie was mostly a central defender with Morton; actually the Morton fans said he was awful at left back but the quality of their other defenders probably meant that it was difficult to actually tell. When he's playing Lithgow also seems a let more settled.

The fact that Halkett supported the rangers as a kid isn't an issue; the main one seems to be the rest of his family are regulars at ibrox and no-doubt will be bringing pressure to bare (or should that be bear?)

18 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

There's Matthew Knox to Berwick confirmed, hopefully he returns as good as Jack Hamilton did.

Berwick is exactly the make-or-break opportunity that Knox needs.

They will give him the chance of a starting place; its up to him to grab it and keep hold of it. Playing every week in a settled side could be a huge boost for him.