Livingston - all the threads merged

Just seeing Jack Hamilton has the best Goal per 90 in the Championship, ahead of the likes of Lafferty etc. If Arbroath (fingers crossed) get promoted the best option would be to punt him back to them for a year of first team premiership football to really see if he can make it in the top tier. I do think with how we play now Hamilton would work for us as he has a real eye for goal and if we could see him progress like Anderson has with his all round game then he could be  a brilliant asset going forward. 

Upside is that if he does go we’re due a fair whack of money. It probably excludes Arbroath from being able to afford him.

It’s make or break territory for him, wouldn’t be surprised to see us use him in a swap deal like we did Jet/Bruce and Tiffoney/Penrice 

Just seeing Jack Hamilton has the best Goal per 90 in the Championship, ahead of the likes of Lafferty etc. If Arbroath (fingers crossed) get promoted the best option would be to punt him back to them for a year of first team premiership football to really see if he can make it in the top tier. I do think with how we play now Hamilton would work for us as he has a real eye for goal and if we could see him progress like Anderson has with his all round game then he could be  a brilliant asset going forward. 
Some of the goals he's been scoring have been fantastic too...not so much the poacher that we thought when he's scoring thunder scuds from 20 yards

26 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
42 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Some of the goals he's been scoring have been fantastic too...not so much the poacher that we thought when he's scoring thunder scuds from 20 yards

My biggest problem with him a couple years ago were his shots just seemed so soft and just rolled towards goal. His second on Saturday shows he's definitely improved them, lovely chop inside and a wee ping into the top corner.

He'll definitely get the chance to win his spot for us. Barring a ridiculously good signing I'd expect him to be sharing minutes in the League Cup groups, then depending on how he gets on either in and around our first team or back to (hopefully Premiership) Arbroath.

Edit: Didn't actually realise his contract was up this summer; in that case I suppose it's whether we offer him first team football as I'm sure there are a few Championship teams who might be willing to offer that along with a good wage.

Edited by LiviLion

53 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

My biggest problem with him a couple years ago were his shots just seemed so soft and just rolled towards goal. His second on Saturday shows he's definitely improved them, lovely chop inside and a wee ping into the top corner.

He'll definitely get the chance to win his spot for us. Barring a ridiculously good signing I'd expect him to be sharing minutes in the League Cup groups, then depending on how he gets on either in and around our first team or back to (hopefully Premiership) Arbroath.

Edit: Didn't actually realise his contract was up this summer; in that case I suppose it's whether we offer him first team football as I'm sure there are a few Championship teams who might be willing to offer that along with a good wage.

He can’t leave for free if he’s out of contract, and we’ve offered him a deal confirming that we’d be due compensation. It’s usually based on how long they’ve been at the club and in his case I think it’s about 5+ years. 

I think Hamilton would thrive in a top flight team if he was played to his strengths, he's a natural goal scorer and would score goals in the Premiership.

Maybe he'll have to move to another team to get his shot at top flight football though, same as Anderson had to do, would be a real shame if it comes down to that, after him being at Livi for so long. 

To be fair though the same was said about Bruce, he was a natural goal scorer but he’s managed to adapt his game into being so much more. We might need to adjust our expectations of Hamilton as a target man and think of him as a tall Bruce basically 

17 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Hamilton, despite looking decent for Arbroath, has shown absolutely nothing for us at Premiership level. He doesn't have the hold/link up play that we need.

I'm glad he's done well at Arbroath, but I don't see him making it here.

I think that's more on how we're wanting to play him, he isn't that type of player. Think he's scored a couple of goals for us, sure he scored his first goal against St Mirren under Holt. And he's improved since then too, but on that score i think you're right, if we are wanting him to play like Anderson or Dykes, it wont work, and he'll have to go to another Premiership team to be a success, same as Anderson had to do at Aberdeen.

He's a natural goal scorer if you get the ball to him, and with Nouble in our team i reckon we'd provide him with chances around the box, but neither are mobile enough to do the leg work Anderson does, so we'd need another player doing that in a front three.

3 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Martindale in that article:

“I feel in the Scottish market, I just get outpriced and it’s difficult to get guys who are ready to hit the ground running from the Championship here.

“I’ve not identified anyone up here who I feel can make us better that, to be honest, I can afford.”

Livi's success with bringing Dykes from the Championship probably influenced Hibs' signing of Kevin Nisbet the following summer. Connor Shields from QotS to Motherwell last summer is like Alan Forrest from Ayr to us two summers ago. I think Martindale was ahead of the curve with picking up Championship talent and that had the effect of waking up competitor clubs to what they were missing. Obileye might've been the last Championship gem we'll get for a while. 

For our league, Livi are 12th of 12 financially and that means you need to be creative with sourcing players. You have to look in places where your rivals are not looking as they can just outbid you. Martindale has always done this and shown remarkable competence at it. Going right back to Scott Pittman being signed from Bo'ness United.

5 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Martindale in that article:

“I feel in the Scottish market, I just get outpriced and it’s difficult to get guys who are ready to hit the ground running from the Championship here.

“I’ve not identified anyone up here who I feel can make us better that, to be honest, I can afford.”

Livi's success with bringing Dykes from the Championship probably influenced Hibs' signing of Kevin Nisbet the following summer. Connor Shields from QotS to Motherwell last summer is like Alan Forrest from Ayr to us two summers ago. I think Martindale was ahead of the curve with picking up Championship talent and that had the effect of waking up competitor clubs to what they were missing. Obileye might've been the last Championship gem we'll get for a while. 

For our league, Livi are 12th of 12 financially and that means you need to be creative with sourcing players. You have to look in places where your rivals are not looking as they can just outbid you. Martindale has always done this and shown remarkable competence at it. Going right back to Scott Pittman being signed from Bo'ness United.

Nouble and Hamilton have prob been 2 of the best Championship players this season, and both are already ours. If we could only find a way to get the best out of Hamilton next season we'd be doing really well and it would be like a new signing.

I agree that in the past he has not fitted in to our system that well but do feel that we have evolved over the past year to playing a different style, one that actually creates plenty of chances and one I think he could thrive in. Need to remember that early this season when he was still at the club the team weren't creating chances at all. 3 goals in the first 8 games before tripling it over the next 2 game weeks against a desperately poor Saints side and the thriller up in Dingwall. 

I'd love to see both Hamilton and Nouble play, sucking in defenders over to the right-wing with there physicality and really open up the left-wing to overload and find goals from. 

9 hours ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

I agree that in the past he has not fitted in to our system that well but do feel that we have evolved over the past year to playing a different style, one that actually creates plenty of chances and one I think he could thrive in. Need to remember that early this season when he was still at the club the team weren't creating chances at all. 3 goals in the first 8 games before tripling it over the next 2 game weeks against a desperately poor Saints side and the thriller up in Dingwall. 

Sure, this is why I'm open-minded on Hamilton. The team was shit for much of the first half of this season and given he only made late substitute appearances, I don't think he was a factor in that shitness.

Sure, this is why I'm open-minded on Hamilton. The team was shit for much of the first half of this season and given he only made late substitute appearances, I don't think he was a factor in that shitness.

Jack Hamilton had yet again been a success for the Lichties but this season he has added a tremendous work rate and physicality to his game. Still not good enough for Livi though so can we keep him please? [emoji6]

7 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Jack Hamilton had yet again been a success for the Lichties but this season he has added a tremendous work rate and physicality to his game. Still not good enough for Livi though so can we keep him please? emoji6.png

I'd def want him loaned back out to you next season for the first window if you made it through the play offs, would be great for his confidence playing for Arbroath in the Premiership and scoring goals. Same deal as Nouble this season, and come back to us in Jan all fired up and ready to go.

41 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

All but safe, couldn't ask for more for the 1st game after the split......hibs put to the sword next week please 🙏 

Reckon we were safe on 38 pts anyway, but yep, great getting the win and making it absolutely safe.

Would be great if we could finish on a high in 7th place, and with more points than the 4th placed team too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER