Livingston - all the threads merged

20 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Motherwell could do worse than sign him, originally came from them but he's improved immensely since then and would be a far better signing for them than Crawford and Lawless, prob Lamie and Gallagher too, solid player that never has a bad game.

Nothing against McMillan but with the way our squad is at the moment he's not really the sort of player I'd imagine we'd be looking at.

We've around 19 players already contracted for next season so I doubt we're targeting squad players. We've already got O'Donnell, Mugabi and Johnston as options for RB and both McGinley and Carroll are contracted at left back.

Looking at the way our recruitment has gone under Alexander I think we've probably moved on from the phase we had of signing Livi cast offs.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

That's a shame, esp Sibbald, think he'd get into the team once he's fit, but illness and injuries have really knackered him this season, expected McMillan to leave because he deserves to be playing regular games and wont get that at Livi. Best of luck to both of them, except when playing against us.  

Sibbald was class when he was fully fit. Covid seems to have caused him significant health issues, and I understand why he's moving on. I wish him all the best, and he'll easily get another Premiership club if he can get fit.

McMillan deserved more game time than he got IMO. He'll go to a Raith/Caley/Thistle type team, and be the best player in their squad.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

As much as it's sad to see them go, I don't think they'll be huge losses. Considering how little either has played this season they won't be leaving huge gaps in the squad. Shinnie is an all round upgrade on Sibbald and Kelly seems to have replaced McMillan with Brandon coming in too

Hard disagree with this point. I think a fully fit Sibbald is a better player than Shinnie. It's entirely fitness related with Sibbs IMO

Edited by thruthenight

Hard disagree with this point. I think a fully fit Sibbald is a better player than Shinnie. It's entirely fitness related with Sibbs IMO
Very similar players but Shinnie's experience edges it for me even if sibbs is fully fit. I'm a huge sibbs fan too

Nothing against McMillan but with the way our squad is at the moment he's not really the sort of player I'd imagine we'd be looking at.
We've around 19 players already contracted for next season so I doubt we're targeting squad players. We've already got O'Donnell, Mugabi and Johnston as options for RB and both McGinley and Carroll are contracted at left back.
Looking at the way our recruitment has gone under Alexander I think we've probably moved on from the phase we had of signing Livi cast offs.
My understanding is Motherwell are interested in Sibbald

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

He's so versatile, playing both sides LB, LWB, RB, RWB,  CM & DM, and he really could make any of those positions his own, i'd have him starting in midfield rather than Kelly, but it aint happening with Martindale. He can easily move anywhere else i've mentioned to cover injuries too.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

As much as it's sad to see them go, I don't think they'll be huge losses. Considering how little either has played this season they won't be leaving huge gaps in the squad. Shinnie is an all round upgrade on Sibbald and Kelly seems to have replaced McMillan with Brandon coming in too

I'd personally take Sibbald over Shinnie all day long, don't see Shinnie as an upgrade at all.

30 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Sibbald was class when he was fully fit. Covid seems to have caused him significant health issues, and I understand why he's moving on. I wish him all the best, and he'll easily get another Premiership club if he can get fit.

McMillan deserved more game time than he got IMO. He'll go to a Raith/Caley/Thistle type team, and be the best player in their squad.

Yep, wouldn't be bothered to see Shinnie leave, but i'm sad seeing Sibbald go, class player when fully fit, just had a horrendous time of it this season, hope the fresh start elsewhere gets him back to his best, going to hate seeing him playing against us though.

I'm in the same camp re: Shinnie. Wouldn't be bothered if he left, really don't rate him at all. 

Sad to see Sibbs and McMillan go but they won't be huge losses given recent contribution (or lack of). 

On 10/05/2022 at 19:03, The Wrong Car said:

I'd imagine Partick Thistle is a shout, better chance of regular games as Foster's away and he seemed to impress previously. Possibly Raith if Tumilty moves

I’d be delighted if he returned to Firhill as I thought he did really well for us.  Unfortunately we will no doubt face a battle with other clubs to try and get him to sign.

As well as McMillan would also be pleased if we could sign Sibbald.  Again would probably face a battle with other clubs and would expect Falkirk to be interested 

It's possibly Omeonga more than Shinnie who knocked Sibbald down the pecking order. As Edinburgh Livi put, if there's a silver lining to Sibbald leaving, I hope it's that Omeonga is therefore staying.

41 minutes ago, JD and associates said:

Alan Forrest in talks with Morecambe. Morecambe managed by Derek Adams, who I know personally. He’s a great guy! 

As much as I like to think you're talking shite, I actually saw him outside our last home game :D So fair play to you.

I'd far rather see Alan go down south than stay here to be fair

Edited by ATLIS

Martindale's tactics this season and how they've related to centre midfield choices:

From the pre-season friendies, it was clear he was trying to do a 4-3-3 based on Gerrard's Rangers which was in turn based on Klopp's Liverpool. What marks those two systems out is that the 2 centre mids ahead of the holder are not your conventional ball playing passers but instead they're primarily defensive pressing machines. Think Kamara and Jack or Henderson and Wijnaldum. This is why we often saw nominal full backs Lewis, Penrice, and McMillan used as the other centre mid along with Pittman in the first half of the season. The centre mids doing all that work reduces the defensive burden on the wide attackers as well as leaving the central attacking midfield space open for them to move into. This meant Bailey and especially Forrest had a great time of things. This system was likely chosen to get the best out of Forrest.

Martindale has known since around March, though, that Forrest won't be here next year. So we've seen a return to a 4-2-3-1 in recent matches which is no longer about indulging the wide attackers. It also puts Pittman back in his best role as an attacking midfielder. The two behind Pittman are staggered with one as more of a playmaker (think Sean Byrne) and the other just an outright holder (think Keaghan Jacobs). Holt is best as the playmaker so that's why Kelly has come in as the holder although I imagine Martindale will be looking for another player in this position over the summer. Omeonga dropping out the team is likely down to him also being the playmaker position and Holt has been chosen ahead of him. 

Sibbald couldn't get into the team as a centre mid when it was 4-3-3 because he can't really play as the "pressing machine" Martindale was looking for. Then now in the 4-2-3-1, he can do the playmaker role but Holt and Omeonga are there or he can do the attacking mid role but Pittman is there.

Edited by FreedomFarter

Was hoping our final game would be the one to officially relegate Dundee, but alas, they're already officially going doon. However it is good to have the final league game at home, giving us the chance to wish a few players a last goodbye in a Livi shirt, Sibbs, McMillan, Forrest (prob), Fitzwater (possibly), Maley (as a registered player), all the loan players (particularly Bailey who has been outstanding). I'm quite looking forward to it.

See you all in the bar pre match and post match, mon the Lions.:cheers