Livingston - all the threads merged

My personal thoughts on the current squad....

George - reasonably good goalkeeper - at 25 still quite young in goalkeeping terms. Seems a bit injury prone; picked up a knock against Dundee but played on through the remainder of the first half and whole of the second.

Hamilton - seemed to do reasonably well against Hearts. A reasonably competent keeper but with a chequered past.

Montano - great player on his day - picks up a lot of injuries but more due to playing style. Questionable temperament though

Parkes -Too injury prone to really be a first team regular - quite slow for a back three.

Devlin - good defender but really needs a settled defence so that he can build up a rapport.

Obileye - When he's in the team people moan about him; when he's out he's missed like ####

Bahamboula - Showed promise when I saw him last year but now probably fourth in line for the right wing position.

Pittman - say what you like; Scotty never gives less than 100%

Anderson - Proven goal-scorer but with so many different partners up front its been difficult to find a settled format - so often recently I've seen him doing we "flick-on's" etc but no-one's there. There's no real anticipation from those around him.

St Kelly/Brandon/Mackay - good players when they turn up.

Welch-Hayes - wasn't that impressed in the summer but put a competent display yesterday - fairly solid for one match - decent long throw.

Se Kelly - good enough as defensive midfielder; not a defender. Having said that he's our only reliable penalty taker.

Bradley - has he been injured? Seems to have dropped off the radar.

Teto - well at least I've seen him more often than the Loch Ness monster.

Holt - for good or bad Jason is the fiery heart of the team.

Nouble - Not the player he was this time last year.

Sangare -good player but inconsistent.

Nottingham - Town in the East Midland 

De Lucas - Can be a really good defender and not too shabby in set piece attack but has got really error prone over the past few weeks - could this be related to not having a settled defence?

Shinnie - Luxury player - lacking real graft as far as I can see but good at blaming others.

Lloyd - Why?

Guthrie - really want him to score a goal but will he?

Penrice - good player but seems to get demoralised if things aren't going well.

Lawel/Bitsindou - ?

The above pretty much sums up my view

In a good team Guthrie, Sean Kelly and Shinnie are rotational options however we seem to rely on them on a weekly basis. The signings we've made to give us options in defence (Nottingham and Lloyd) have only kept the physios busy. 

The rotation in attack and defence is clearly having an impact on player such as George, De Lucas, and Anderson. As much as he's a bit of a target for the boo boys, Obileye is clearly missed

Martindale needs to find a different balance to the team, however it's worth noting that some players that fans demand for, such as Stephen Kelly, haven't kicked a ball this season. We've also still not replaced Bartley, as Sangare doesn't have the discipline to play there

A 3-4-3 with 3 from Anderson/Bradley/Mackay/Nouble/Kelly up front, or 4-2-3-1  needs to be our formations going forward as at the moment we're a defensive minded team without a decent defence

4 hours ago, The Wrong Car said:

at the moment we're a defensive minded team without a decent defence

Very much this. Martindale's been trying to replicate the 18/19 side which had that rock solid central defence. Yet that season Lithgow, Halkett and Gallagher were available for every single match. So far this season we've had injuries to Devlin, Obileye and Nottingham. Then Martindale is unconvinced by De Lucas, dropping him twice already.

Our defence is being weakened by these regular absences so we've not been able to rely on it how Martindale had planned. The solution is probably to shift the tactical emphasis away from the defence and instead look to make more of our midfield and attacking players.

16 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Our defence is being weakened by these regular absences so we've not been able to rely on it how Martindale had planned. The solution is probably to shift the tactical emphasis away from the defence and instead look to make more of our midfield and attacking players.

Yep, one of the big differences between 18/19 and now, in my opinion, is the "identity" that team had: hoof it up and put everything into winning the ball in the opposition half and that's where we'd do the playing. This season (particularly the last few games) we hoof it up, and if we're lucky enough to win the ball, it just ends up passed all the way back to the keeper, then repeat until someone decides to be brave and sclaffs a shot harmlessly high and wide. I don't see the same pressing/intensity we had back then either (maybe that was just Shaun Byrne, and/or my shite memory) and we're more happy to let teams bring the ball forward and it's in our half closer to our box that the more intense closing down starts to happen.

9 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Yep, one of the big differences between 18/19 and now, in my opinion, is the "identity" that team had: hoof it up and put everything into winning the ball in the opposition half and that's where we'd do the playing. This season (particularly the last few games) we hoof it up, and if we're lucky enough to win the ball, it just ends up passed all the way back to the keeper, then repeat until someone decides to be brave and sclaffs a shot harmlessly high and wide. I don't see the same pressing/intensity we had back then either (maybe that was just Shaun Byrne, and/or my shite memory) and we're more happy to let teams bring the ball forward and it's in our half closer to our box that the more intense closing down starts to happen.

There was a funny moment against Hearts on Wednesday where Pittman won his own second ball. He headed it on for Nouble who'd ran the other way so Pittman had to chase his own header, he charged down the Hearts attempted clearance and we got the ball back. I think that's why Martindale is still so reluctant to use Pittman at centre mid, where I think he could be great alongside Holt. Martindale maybe wants Pittman always at attacking mid to lead that high press and to challenge for those second balls. Sangare is really good at it too. 

I think there's been a tactical change across the league in the 5 years since 18/19. Teams are playing more compactly now. Defensive lines are higher and forwards are dropping back rather than pressing instantly on your keeper and centre backs when they have possession. Its all about pressing triggers now, they wait until you try to play out to a full back or into a centre mid before doing a coordinated press.

That gives your centre backs a bit more time so it can seem like they're just fannying around with possession. Also that extra compactness of teams now has their defence and midfield lines closer together which makes them less susceptible to second balls dropping between the lines.

We could still be playing right now and still not scored,problems abound on and off the park.

You can see the lack of cohesion and confidence within the team, the fans that were at Dens tried there best to lift the players and to be fair they did raise their game compared to previous games but TBH we look championship bound unless something changes within the club or we get something done in the January transfer window.

Edited by Dav nan Gael

4 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

We could still be playing right now and still not scored,problems abound on and off the park.

You can see the lack of cohesion and confidence within the team, the fans that were at Dens tried there best to lift the players and to be fair they did raise their game compared to previous games but TBH we look championship bound unless something changes within the club or we get something done in the January transfer window.

Looked like there was about 60 through.

Well done to them.

35 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

Every chance we could be bottom of the league later this evening.  The collapse since the ICT Scottish Cup debacle last season has been soul destroying. When will the downward spiral end?  In the Championship?

Don't think last season has continued into this one, we won away to Hibs for a start, and are on 10pts. Just going through a sticky patch, November is a tough month of fixtures, but December brings a lot more games we can take pts from, i'd wait till January before worrying about relegation. There are another 4 teams on as poor a run as us too, Motherwell have lost 6 of their last 7 games and drawn the other one.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I went to your reserve game today and was surprised to see George, Anderson, Montano, Sangare, Brandon and Guthrie all start against a young Partick side (finished 3-0). At a time when managers wrap their squad up in cotton wool is this something Martindale does often?

As well as the 1st team players Bradley and Lawal impressive on the day too.

Daniel Mackay limped off injured in the 2nd half.

Edited by BukyOHare

11 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I went to your reserve game today and was surprised to see George, Anderson, Montano, Sangare, Brandon and Guthrie all start against a young Partick side (finished 3-0). At a time when managers wrap their squad up in cotton wool is this something Martindale does often?

Shamal missed the last 2 games with an injury, I'd imagine this was a trial for him coming back in. Bruce only played 20 mins on Sunday, Montano has been suspended for 2 games, Sangare needs some minutes, Brandon hasn't played in 2 and Guthrie hasn't played I think in 2-3? 

All guys that need some freshness and minutes in the legs.

I really hope Lawal gets a chance, he's excelled internationally (youths) for Nigeria but can't break into our squad

5 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I really hope Lawal gets a chance, he's excelled internationally (youths) for Nigeria but can't break into our squad

He was all over the pitch, never seemed to stop running, despite his height he competes well physically and was very clever on the ball.

For a 19 year old playing in a new country, with the challenges that brings, he's not the finished article but definitely a player to look out for. Maybe one to get out on loan in January to help settle into the demands of the Scottish game.

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

He was all over the pitch, never seemed to stop running, despite his height he competes well physically and was very clever on the ball.

For a 19 year old playing in a new country, with the challenges that brings, he's not the finished article but definitely a player to look out for. Maybe one to get out on loan in January to help settle into the demands of the Scottish game.

The kind of player that'll run every game if we go down :D To be fair a Livi young team with Bradley, Lawal, Teto etc could be quite fun in the Championship

Our first choice defence was supposed to be Obileye with Devlin and Nottingham either side of him. Nottingham then got injured immediately which would've been fine, you can cope with one injury. De Lucas could've just come in, which he did. Yet we then got a second of those first choice three out injured, Devlin originally then as soon as he came back, Obileye. So we've had two of our first choice three out injured. This is when it started going to shit. Parkes isn't good enough, centre back isn't Sean Kelly's position, Welch-Hayes was also injured until recently, Montano looked the part but got immediately suspended.

That absolute clusterfuck of centre back availability completely pulled the rug from under us. It's prompted Martindale to now move from 3 centre backs to 2 in switching to a back 4. We'd have got at least a draw against Dundee last Saturday had we been able to field an actual centre back rather than Sean Kelly in that position (his reaction speed was very poor for that loose ball Rudden got to first, he then needlessly fouled Rudden and McCowan scored the free kick). The team played well and a confident Nouble would've put us in the lead first half. He's suffered, as has all the attack, from the shitshow going on in our defence.

Edited by Freedom Farter

8 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

a confident Nouble would've put us in the lead first half. He's suffered, as has all the attack, from the shitshow going on in our defence.

I agree with everything you've said except that. Nouble absolutely has lost confidence but I don't think it's all down to our defence. It's more linked to his move never materialising and our 3-4-2-1 system being deliberately set up to account for his expected absence.  

Everyone can see that Nouble has not been good enough recently but Martindale refuses to drop him.

Also our attack has suffered more from how they've been asked to play. It's been obvious that we would struggle for clean sheets but that's what we play for so there needs to be more emphasis on our attack with a defined build up style that isn't just punt it in hope. Using Nouble as an example he's often too deep for my liking and gets crowded out or runs into traffic. If he's further forward then there's a hope that 1v1 out wide he beats his man and is into the box. 

19 minutes ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

I agree with everything you've said except that. Nouble absolutely has lost confidence but I don't think it's all down to our defence. It's more linked to his move never materialising and our 3-4-2-1 system being deliberately set up to account for his expected absence.  

Everyone can see that Nouble has not been good enough recently but Martindale refuses to drop him.

Also our attack has suffered more from how they've been asked to play. It's been obvious that we would struggle for clean sheets but that's what we play for so there needs to be more emphasis on our attack with a defined build up style that isn't just punt it in hope. Using Nouble as an example he's often too deep for my liking and gets crowded out or runs into traffic. If he's further forward then there's a hope that 1v1 out wide he beats his man and is into the box. 

Aye, I hope the experiment of trying him as an attacking mid is now over. He must be played either up front or out wide.

13 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

As a matter of interest did Bahamboula play - he seems to have totally disappeared off the radar and, as far as I know, he's not injured.