Livingston - all the threads merged

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Has Jon Guthrie been decent this season?

I’d say he’s been our best CB for the last two seasons. Although his contract is up at the end of the season we have an option to extend it for another year, the same goes for Devlin as well

Only asking as my ranking systems has moved onto CBs now, and he's rated the 8th best CB this season (so far) league wise.

One place above Gallagher 👀

Bit of a devil’s advocaat for you: would you rather Martindale gets the manager’s gig and lasts a couple of seasons before moving on (for better or worse) or remains as an apparent strong and positive influence for another e.g. 5-10 years but not as manager? I don’t think I’ve seen this in discussion yet.

Edited by crispy

Keeping "the structure" intact perhaps would've been the ideal but I think what has happened is that Livi don't have the luxury of such long term planning. We're in a relegation battle right now, this season, and Martindale was the most likely pick to immediately get the team performing to the level needed. If the manager job had become available at a time when immediate on-field results weren't such a priority then different decisions may well have been made.

Apologies as I have not read all the thread but I’ve thought Holt had did well at Livi, why did he leave?  
since they were promoted a few years ago despite always being tagged as one of the potential candidates for relegation Livi have been absolutely nowhere near it and well up the league table which is a complete credit to the club

Just perplexed as to why a decent manager with a club with a good set up and is more than comfortable in the premier league would have parted company when it’s not as though he has went down south or anything to a club that could pay a lot more.

27 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Apologies as I have not read all the thread but I’ve thought Holt had did well at Livi, why did he leave?  
since they were promoted a few years ago despite always being tagged as one of the potential candidates for relegation Livi have been absolutely nowhere near it and well up the league table which is a complete credit to the club

Just perplexed as to why a decent manager with a club with a good set up and is more than comfortable in the premier league would have parted company when it’s not as though he has went down south or anything to a club that could pay a lot more.

Don't think it was anything more than he didn't think he could take the club any further. Got us 5th last season and we were poor this season despite him trying a couple of different things, I imagine the way he saw it was that fresh ideas would be best for the club while also keeping a relegation/struggling season off his CV.

2 hours ago, third lanark said:

Managers only really last 2 or 3 seasons, things started getting stale so he decided it was best for everyone to step aside 

4 hours ago, third lanark said:

For some reason he started messing around with the team this season, and drifted away from the Livi model that has brought us success over the last 4 seasons. Martindale steps in and has us back playing how we play best, with a mobile front player and tweaking us at the back too and we win 3 on the bounce, only conceding 1 goal. Results under Holt were mixed and didn't tell the whole story either, same as the 3 wins under Martindale doesn't, it is plain to see the difference by just looking at how we are playing. Being pegged back by St Johnstone on Saturday had Holt been still in charge i'd have had no confidence in us winning the game, Accies and Killie both did that and went on to easily beat us, however under Martindale we had our old grit and fight back and pushed on the get ourselves back in front, then saw the game out quite comfortably with good game management.

Also noticed a big difference in substitutions, Holt was apt to wait far too long to make any, then replace like for like when it wasn't happening for us, so nothing actually changed and we lost the game, Martindale made quite radical changes and it paid off big style, at the time i was wondering WTF he was doing taking off Forrest for Brown, but post match he explained it and it made sense, he spotted a weak point in our defence that St Johnstone were exploiting and shored it up, also pushed Mullin forward to work with Robinson.

Anyway, for whatever reason Holt changed things it wasn't working this season and everything has looked a lot brighter since Martindale took over, harsh as Holt has been magnificent the last 2 seasons, but there it is.

Thought it a bit silly on Sportscene when Thompson  said will Holt be feeling let down because Livi have won 3 on the bounce and thinking why didn't they do that for him, answer being he wasn't setting us up like Martindale did in those games, and if they had any knowledge of Livi they would've saw that for themselves.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 23/08/2020 at 16:56, Mr X said:

So, what's been the worst thing for livi this week?

Losing Dykes?
Signing Stokes?
Or the realisation that you're getting relegated and are going to have to apologise to Tam Cowan?

Dunno, it's between moving up to 7th place in the Premiership and getting to the Semi final of the Betfred cup, can't quite decide which one is worse.

How's QoTS doing?

Goalkeepers
1. Robby McCrorie - 2021 (loan)
32. Max Stryjek - 2023
40. Gary Maley - 2021

Defenders
2. Nicky Devlin - 2021 (1 year extension option)
3. Ciaron Brown - January 2021 (loan)
4. Alan Lithgow - 2021
5. Jack Fitzwater - 2023
12. Julien Serrano - 2021 (loan)
21. Jack McMillan - 2022
25. Efe Ambrose - 2021
27. Jon Guthrie - 2021 (1 year extension option)
29. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - 2021

Midfielders
6. Marvin Bartley - 2022
7. Keaghan Jacobs - 2022
8. Scott Pittman - 2023
10. Craig Sibbald - 2022
18. Jason Holt - 2023
33. Steve Lawson - 2021
39. Carlo Pignatiello - 2021(?)

Forwards
9. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas - 2021 (1 year extension option)
11. Alan Forrest - 2022
14. Josh Mullin - 2021 (2 year extension option)
15. Matej Poplatnik - 2022 (1 year extension option)
17. Scott Robinson - 2021
20. Gavin Reilly - 2022
22. Scott Tiffoney - 2021(?)
38. Jack Hamilton - 2022

In
Ciaron Brown - Cardiff (Loan)
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas - PTT Rayong
Jack Fitzwater - West Bromich Albion
Alan Forrest - Ayr United
Jason Holt - Rangers
Salim Kouider-Aissa - Queen's Park
Lars Lokotsch - SV Rodinghausen
Robby McCrorie - Rangers (Loan)
Josh Mullin - Ross County
Matej Poplatnik - Kerala Blasters
Gavin Reilly - Carlisle United
Julien Serrano - AS Monaco (Loan)
Anthony Stokes - Persepolis
Max Stryjek - Eastleigh

Out
Robbie Crawford - Motherwell (Loan) - Contract Expiry 2021
Raffaele De Vita - Edinburgh City (Loan) - Contract Expiry 2021
Lyndon Dykes - QPR
Chris Erskine - East Kilbride
Jack Hamilton - East Fife (Loan) - Contract Expiry 2022
Craig Henderson - East Stirlingshire
Ricki Lamie - Motherwell
Steven Lawless - Burton Albion
Salim Kouider-Aissa - Partick Thistle (Loan) - Contract Expiry 2022 (1 year extension option)
Lars Lokotsch - Raith Rovers (Loan) - Contract Expiry 2022 (1 year extension option)
Dolly Menga
Hakeem Odoffin - Hamilton Academical
Cece Pepe
Ryan Schofield - Huddersfield (Loan Return)
Brian Schwake - Linlithgow Rose (Loan) - Contract Expiry 2021 (?)
Aymen Souda
Ross Stewart - Hearts (Loan) - Contract Expiry 2021
Anthony Stokes

Updated with the Gavin Reilly signing.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Out of contract in Summer

Gary Maley
Nicky Devlin (1 year extension option)
Alan Lithgow
Efe Ambrose
Jon Guthrie (1 year extension option)
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
Steve Lawson
Carlo Pignatiello (not confirmed)
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (1 year extension option)
Josh Mullin (2 years extension option)
Scott Robinson
Scott Tiffoney (not confirmed)

Loans Ending

Robby McCrorie
Ciaron Brown (January)
Julien Serrano

Priorities for new contracts - Guthrie, Mullin, Robinson and Tiffoney if he's only signed until the end of the season. 

Lawson and Lithgow I'd be happy to extend for another year, if they are both interested. I imagine not for the former.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

3 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Priorities for new contracts - Guthrie, Mullin, Robinson and Tiffoney if he's only signed until the end of the season. 

Lawson and Lithgow I'd be happy to extend for another year, if they are both interested. I imagine not for the former.

I’d be concerned that someone might pinch Guthrie and also because I think he’d be the most difficult of the four to replace.

Edited by crispy

Just watched Martindale's interview on LFCLive. Apparently looking to bring in '1 or 2' in in January with the same number of players having to move on at the same time. 

Don't really see in which positions we need to add players at this point, we are pretty strong across the park.

More importantly, he wants to use the money we have to sign players to longer term deals.