Employers Asking For A Credit Check

applied for a job recently and they have just got back to me saying i can have an interview if i pass a credit check.

why does an employer need to know your credit history? i'm in a bit of debt, student loan, overdraft etc but nothing major, will this cause me a problem?

applied for a job recently and they have just got back to me saying i can have an interview if i pass a credit check.

why does an employer need to know your credit history? i'm in a bit of debt, student loan, overdraft etc but nothing major, will this cause me a problem?

What kind of job is it?

not 100% sure, working with lloyds tsb anyway. from what i gather it is pretty much just a call centre job.

If it's with a financial services company like a bank or an insurance firm then it's to check you're not a high financial risk.

not 100% sure, working with lloyds tsb anyway. from what i gather it is pretty much just a call centre job.

Gee, I wonder why a bank would want to credit check its employees :blink:

As long as you dont have defaults or arrears you should be fine. Its as much to do with being "sound" to give financial advice as it is to prevent thieving. Would you want someone up to their eyes in debt telling you which loan to get, or where best to invest your money?

You can get a free credit check online from the likes of experian, if you want to see whats on it.

Would you want someone up to their eyes in debt telling you which loan to get, or where best to invest your money?

People who work in a call centre absolutely shouldn't be doing that though!

Insurance companies don't do a credit check on new employees.

People who work in a call centre absolutely shouldn't be doing that though!

Insurance companies don't do a credit check on new employees.

Yeah was just going to say, when I was at the Pru we had to be very careful that anything we said could not be construed as financial advice in any way. Had loads of different standard phrases we had to trot out at various points of a call.

If you're in lots of debt, there's a perceived risk that you might try to use account details to get into accounts/sell on to other parties.

I'll try to dig out the survey my Computer Security lecturer performed on the practices encountered in contact centres. Suspicious occurrences in these are very common.

Yeah was just going to say, when I was at the Pru we had to be very careful that anything we said could not be construed as financial advice in any way. Had loads of different standard phrases we had to trot out at various points of a call.

Yep. I believe it can be quite difficult when old codgers ask you "what do you think I should do son?" :lol:

Like a credit check will make any difference to how you do your job. FFS does anyone think Fred Goodwin would have failed a credit check ?? In understand the principle that people might be tempted to abuse their position if they work in finance.....but then the bosses do that anyway and on a far larger scale than any call centre chappy could

because they need to assess whether or not you plan to embezzle loads of money off them, any banking industry job will do a credit check.

but then the bosses do that anyway and on a far larger scale than any call centre chappy could

dunno about that, average call centre chappie at my place a few years back managed to sneak 2 million into his account and then flee the country.

Like a credit check will make any difference to how you do your job. FFS does anyone think Fred Goodwin would have failed a credit check ?? In understand the principle that people might be tempted to abuse their position if they work in finance.....but then the bosses do that anyway and on a far larger scale than any call centre chappy could

It's got nothing to do with competence. If you have loads of debt and are failing to make payments you are (deemed to be) more likely to steal money from the company.

It's got nothing to do with competence. If you have loads of debt and are failing to make payments you are (deemed to be) more likely to steal money from the company.

I'm sure that is the perceived wisdom, but it is utter nonsense really.

I can understand a credit check if you work in the financial sector, but the only place I have ever come across this was when I had an interview for a laboratory position at Glaxo SmithKlein or whatever it's called these days. To this day I can't work out why, my credit history would be a help/hinderance to me functioning in a laboratory job.

• 5 years later...

From experience it will probably be as much to do with checking if you are lying to them about your financial history than checking if you are suitable to work in a call centre for a bank.

I've worked for 2 well known banks and in both cases started in their call centre, and this was pretty much what they were checking for.

If you have loads of debt and are failing to make payments you are (deemed to be) more likely to steal money from the company.

Nah, it really isn't.

And I've only just realised this thread is 5 years old...

Archived