Quick Question Thread

Question on employment laws - my wife is off work with cartilidge damage to her right knee, her friend got her a ticket to see a show at the playhouse next month, but my wife's sister has said that if her work finds out that she's going or is seen by a senior member of staff, there's a chance it could jeopardise her job. Is this at all true? My argument is that she works dayshifts which finish at 2.30, but to show is in the evening, which is therefore technically after working hours.

Question on employment laws - my wife is off work with cartilidge damage to her right knee, her friend got her a ticket to see a show at the playhouse next month, but my wife's sister has said that if her work finds out that she's going or is seen by a senior member of staff, there's a chance it could jeopardise her job. Is this at all true? My argument is that she works dayshifts which finish at 2.30, but to show is in the evening, which is therefore technically after working hours.

The time has got nothing to do with it. It is her capacity for work that her sister is suggesting might be questioned. If she's on the stage doing the time warp she might be in trouble. If she's visibly limping and has a doctor's certificate she'll be fine. Sick leave doesn't mean house arrest, it's what you do that matters.

My girlfriend is an utter numpty, and despite the fact that she's moving out her flat and in with me in a little over two weeks (that's not what makes her a numpty), she has yet to hand in her notice. Upon looking at her lease, it appears she is obliged to give 2 (TWO) month's notice. Anyway, faced with the prospect of having to hand over £1300 for a flat she wants to leave in a few week's time, I advised her to cancel the direct debit. However, it would appear that she has a standing order (not a DD). Now that she's cancelled it - will the letting agent be notified automatically? (i.e. can they start being arsey about it). 

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

As someone else said, it's not house arrest. You are entitled to lead a social life when off on the sick. Work finding out wouldn't have a leg to stand on (forgive the pun) iif they wanted to start getting arsey about it.

Cheers :) ... although since they can still hoover her 1.5 month deposit, I'm sure they'll get over it.

Actually assuming her tenancy will be protected by the tenancy deposit scheme, they can't just claim that for the rent in lieu. Would have to be a good reason as per the terms of the let (damage etc.) Although as she'd have to pay the rent back at some point might be as well letting them take a chunk of that anyway (assuming she wants to be a good law abiding citizen, if not then f**k them).

My girlfriend is an utter numpty, and despite the fact that she's moving out her flat and in with me in a little over two weeks (that's not what makes her a numpty), she has yet to hand in her notice. Upon looking at her lease, it appears she is obliged to give 2 (TWO) month's notice. Anyway, faced with the prospect of having to hand over £1300 for a flat she wants to leave in a few week's time, I advised her to cancel the direct debit. However, it would appear that she has a standing order (not a DD). Now that she's cancelled it - will the letting agent be notified automatically? (i.e. can they start being arsey about it).

Prozzy her out, to make up for any short-fall she'll drop on you, I assume you are dutching her?

Says my good friend the Bishop of Edinburgh.

Grimbo

Actually assuming her tenancy will be protected by the tenancy deposit scheme, they can't just claim that for the rent in lieu. Would have to be a good reason as per the terms of the let (damage etc.) Although as she'd have to pay the rent back at some point might be as well letting them take a chunk of that anyway (assuming she wants to be a good law abiding citizen, if not then f**k them).

She keeps the flat like a show home. She wants to be law-abiding, but let's be honest, if she could save several hundreds of pounds by flitting and leaving no forwarding address, I'm sure she would. I advised her to pull the "I'm foreign and have to head back to my homeland" line and see what they can do. 

Prozzy her out, to make up for any short-fall she'll drop on you, I assume you are dutching her?

Says my good friend the Bishop of Edinburgh.

Grimbo

Disappointed at the lack of pie-kicking advice tbh. 

She keeps the flat like a show home. She wants to be law-abiding, but let's be honest, if she could save several hundreds of pounds by flitting and leaving no forwarding address, I'm sure she would. I advised her to pull the "I'm foreign and have to head back to my homeland" line and see what they can do.

The good Bishop of Ed stated quite clearly in his sermon just yesterday that kicking in the pie is no longer the way of the lord since that page was removed from the K James' bibles (1969 version & beyond).

He did offer the windaes/heating solution to any pre-marital conflagrations though. You can't go wrong, he said before singing Psalm 37.

Go in peace (& carry a pre 69 KJ bible should the pie-kick be required) offered up my very good friend the Pope (of Rochdale).

Grimbo

Moved into my flat in Edinburgh about 7 months ago. My kitchen sink has stopped draining, all other drains are fine. I've taken the U-bend out and cleared the pipes that are actually in my flat but nothing. Who's responsible for pipes that aren't actually in my flat? Is this expensive to fix? Any advice?

Moved into my flat in Edinburgh about 7 months ago. My kitchen sink has stopped draining, all other drains are fine. I've taken the U-bend out and cleared the pipes that are actually in my flat but nothing. Who's responsible for pipes that aren't actually in my flat? Is this expensive to fix? Any advice?

Is the central heating not working?

Grimbo

As a landlord I'm disappointed nae disgusted at the previous advice about just doing a runner.

Boot to the pie for being an absent minded bint would seem the most sensible suggestion imho.