Quick Question Thread

Has anybody here been to Riga in Latvia, and if so what did you think of it?

I'm going away for my 21st in late October with a group of people (7 guys, 4 girls) and the plan was to go there, but the reviews have been mixed to say the least. One one hand it's apparently very cheap and the local women are very attractive, plus they are total slags and throw themselves at British men, ding dong. Then again supposedly the local men are usually quite ugly (I know laugh.gif ) and are very angry that they can't get into any of the girls because they're only interested in richer Brits. People saying they got hit in the face is too common in peoples reviews.

Reading things like "Latvians are dirty and degenerate, and that's some of their better qualities", is putting me off I must say. If anyone could shed some light on this, or suggest good alternatives I'd appreciate it.

Just back from a trip that included 3 nights over a weekend in Riga.

Good news - the horror stories you have read on the internet don't happen as much anymore.

Bad news - the things you've heard about local women throwing themselves at British guys and everything being cheap also does not apply anymore. The local women have obviously been scared off by all the w****r filled stag do's that seem to go there (I should add it wasn't just me or my mates who had little joy with the local birds, other foreigners we talked to including ex pats said the same thing). Any really hot bird that approaches you is likely to be inducting you into one of the scams you've read about.

Never pay for a bar bill using a card. The drinks are not cheap, a pint of the local brew ranged from around 1.5 - 2 Lats in the pubs (about £2.50). Any short in most places costs about 3 Lats and they give you pish measures and loads of mixer. Drinks in clubs are the same as pubs. The party goes on until 7am.

One place I would recommend is a pub called Albert's on the main square, owned by an English bloke who was sound, gave us some pointers on where to go/where not to go, gave us decent drinks at deent prices and serves really good food. Cause of the position of the outside seats you can also oogle all the Latvian birds until your wankbank is full to the brim.

Static electricity sparking off an explosion or something.

I remember some thicko on here once saying he used to work in the petrol industry and they'd shown him a training video of an actual real life mobile phone explosion, which of course turned out to be anything but.

Where I live every petrol station is covered in signs saying "NO CELL PHONE USE" and what-have-you. It's a crock of shit.

Evidence:

Guest The Phoenix

Higher Business Management question.

Mind has went blank, I've been asked what type of organisation is such and such. Does this mean Sole Trader, Partnership etc or Private, Public?

Need help asap.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure Such and Such are a family run legal practice.

Higher Business Management question.

Mind has went blank, I've been asked what type of organisation is such and such. Does this mean Sole Trader, Partnership etc or Private, Public?

Need help asap.

Thanks in advance.

According to my son the answer is Private(Waits for smart comment from The Phoenix)

Just back from a trip that included 3 nights over a weekend in Riga.

Good news - the horror stories you have read on the internet don't happen as much anymore.

Bad news - the things you've heard about local women throwing themselves at British guys and everything being cheap also does not apply anymore. The local women have obviously been scared off by all the w****r filled stag do's that seem to go there (I should add it wasn't just me or my mates who had little joy with the local birds, other foreigners we talked to including ex pats said the same thing). Any really hot bird that approaches you is likely to be inducting you into one of the scams you've read about.

Never pay for a bar bill using a card. The drinks are not cheap, a pint of the local brew ranged from around 1.5 - 2 Lats in the pubs (about £2.50). Any short in most places costs about 3 Lats and they give you pish measures and loads of mixer. Drinks in clubs are the same as pubs. The party goes on until 7am.

One place I would recommend is a pub called Albert's on the main square, owned by an English bloke who was sound, gave us some pointers on where to go/where not to go, gave us decent drinks at deent prices and serves really good food. Cause of the position of the outside seats you can also oogle all the Latvian birds until your wankbank is full to the brim.

Thanks for all the advice mate, but I think Riga aint happening anymore, everyone's been scared off now and even my mum's saying I shouldn't go. laugh.gif

Thinking Krakow, Prague or Berlin now, so as before if anyone's got anything to say about these places I'd appreciate it. I really fancy Zagreb tbh but couldn't find any flights out of there, if any jambos reading this went out for the Europa Leage raping last year how did you get there?

Thanks for all the advice mate, but I think Riga aint happening anymore, everyone's been scared off now and even my mum's saying I shouldn't go. laugh.gif

Thinking Krakow, Prague or Berlin now, so as before if anyone's got anything to say about these places I'd appreciate it. I really fancy Zagreb tbh but couldn't find any flights out of there, if any jambos reading this went out for the Europa Leage raping last year how did you get there?

Reina is the best bet to ask about Berlin.

Why is it Dangerous to use mobile phones in petrol stations?

I get the naked flames, lighters etc but not the use of a phone.

Others have already answered re the alleged risk of static electricity. But I'd say if you're doing anything with petrol then you should be concentrating fully on the job at hand, not chatting on your feckin phone.

if you have to ask your mum,then you shouldnt really be going anywhere

riga is fine,but like anywhere else,act like an arsehole and you will be treated accordingly

I wouldn't recommend Prague anymore. Whilst it's still easy to find cheap beer etc. the bars themselves won't be the nicest of places. The local women, like described in Riga, have no interest in British men anymore for about the same reasons. The crime rate has also increased quite markedly in the last year or so. It's still a good place to party but Berlin is about 100x better in that department.

You also get a fairly shit deal on accommodation and most of the better places are booked solidly quite a way in advance.

Edited by Breaking Decency

Is it illegal for me (16 years old) to go into a bookies? I've been in loads over the past year or something with my dad, but my sister's boyfriend - who used to work in a bookies - said this shouldn't be allowed. How come I've never been asked to leave or questioned about my age?

Is it illegal for me (16 years old) to go into a bookies? I've been in loads over the past year or something with my dad, but my sister's boyfriend - who used to work in a bookies - said this shouldn't be allowed. How come I've never been asked to leave or questioned about my age?

If they don't know your age and assume you're over 18 they're not going to ask you to leave...

Yes it is illegal,My son was in with me earlier this year and was asked for ID(He was 17).I told them he was not betting but was asked to leave.

Bookies seem to have got stricker with the old ID recently. I was going in at 16 and getting served no bother. I still do but a couple of guys in my team, 20 year olds, got ID'd in our local. One of them goes in every week and its the same guy that has served him for years.

Riga is pretty dangerous from what i've experienced. A mate of mine was in there watching the lap dancers and got marched to the cash machine to withdraw £70 to pay for a drink one of the girls said he'd offered them.

I've been to Krakow & Prague too.

Prague was decent but it was about 4 or 5 years ago that I went. Just stopped in a hostel (Hostel Elf, still got a shirt from there) which was about £8 a night. Beer was dirt cheap too. I remember getting the first round in and it cost just over £3 for 5 pints or something like that.

Krakow was a nice place but the booze was expensive. The slags you see walking round are first rate though. If you're taking a couple of wenches of your own i'd probably opt for Krakow, they'd enjoy it there more then Prague I think. Also take a visit to Roosters if you do go, its a chicken shop that you drink good booze in and get served by some of the finest women you'll ever see in their hot pants.

Bookies seem to have got stricker with the old ID recently. I was going in at 16 and getting served no bother. I still do but a couple of guys in my team, 20 year olds, got ID'd in our local. One of them goes in every week and its the same guy that has served him for years.

The guy that served me on Saturday said they've now got to go along with the "think 21" bullshit. I get ID'd pretty much every time I go into the bookies. Just like I get ID'd every time I go to a club. Or buy booze. And I look older than I actually am.

Life can't be any fun these days if you're under 18.

Question - I've got an interview at McDonalds next Monday (yeah yeah, I know, it's only part-time to get a bit of money). Anyway, they give you a thing called On-Job Evaluation.. what does that involve?

Edited by Paco

Question - I've got an interview at McDonalds next Monday (yeah yeah, I know, it's only part-time to get a bit of money). Anyway, they give you a thing called On-Job Evaluation.. what does that involve?

For McDonalds they see if you can say 'do you want fries with that?'

and if you can stand next to a fryer without sticking your hand in it to see if the fries are ready.