Quick Question Thread

Talking in a put on Irish accent in a nightclub to get the attention of tidy burds that would probably never look twice at you otherwise, sleazy and pathetic or a brilliant use of iniative?

I was at a gig in the Garage years ago, me and my 2 mates pretended to be American to get in the knickers of some lassies, all bloody night we did it, no success with the birds but a couple of guys from Edinburgh insisted giving us their email addresses and promised to show us round Edingurgh when we went through as part of our trip. :huh:

I was at a gig in the Garage years ago, me and my 2 mates pretended to be American to get in the knickers of some lassies, all bloody night we did it, no success with the birds but a couple of guys from Edinburgh insisted giving us their email addresses and promised to show us round Edingurgh when we went through as part of our trip. :huh:

Score!

Any live/work in Bo'Ness that can tell me what the weather conditions are like? Is the ground pretty frozen?

Just bought a wee van for general use. Only tax and test to the end of this month. Mate is going to MOT it next week - can I tax it just with the new keeper supplement from the old V5, or do I need the updated V5 which could take a few weeks once I have the MOT certificate and insurance docs?

Cheers.

Just bought a wee van for general use. Only tax and test to the end of this month. Mate is going to MOT it next week - can I tax it just with the new keeper supplement from the old V5, or do I need the updated V5 which could take a few weeks once I have the MOT certificate and insurance docs?

Cheers.

fill out a v10 at post office.....a think.

Is that a yes or a no? I'm not quite sure.

To be honest we all know i have nowhere near enough brain cells to comprehend that so i decided to try and hide my idiocy behind a witty and sarcastic comment that would make me feel better. I apologise and hope the other posters with more than one brain cell brain cells than me can give you a serious answer.

Congratulations you are also now officially in my Top 6 posters. My list will be edited straight away

I don't want an explanation, I'm just generally curious.

If travelling at the speed of light in a car with the headlights on, would they work?

Tough shit, you're getting one :D

It's conceptually meaningless. Only something with zero mass (i.e. a photon, which is a 'particle' of light) can travel at such speeds owing to the paradox that the closer you reach to the speed of light, the greater the energy required to accelerate the same mass. Even then you cannot "experience" the situation as though you were a photon.

Edit: I understand that this is not at all the sort of answer you're looking for, but the unfortunate reality is that you cannot divorce or isolate different laws of nature from each other. We don't even know that what we think we know holds universally true, or if it is only so within the parameters of our own existence. To use a mathematical analogy, we have picked a very approximate and arbitrary set of scientific axes in a 3 dimensional block that represents the way the universe's forces interact. Our axes aren't even straight; they're bent and twisted save the very occasional brief moment where it is truly linear, and it is that from which we draw conclusions that may or may not hold true and may or may not have meaningful context elsewhere in the colossal cube of science. Just to be able to experience and to sample the tiniest fragment, the rarest of intersections is so unimaginably incredible.

Edited by Ad Lib

Tough shit, you're getting one :D

It's conceptually meaningless. Only something with zero mass (i.e. a photon, which is a 'particle' of light) can travel at such speeds owing to the paradox that the closer you reach to the speed of light, the greater the energy required to accelerate the same mass. Even then you cannot "experience" the situation as though you were a photon.

Edit: I understand that this is not at all the sort of answer you're looking for, but the unfortunate reality is that you cannot divorce or isolate different laws of nature from each other. We don't even know that what we think we know holds universally true, or if it is only so within the parameters of our own existence. To use a mathematical analogy, we have picked a very approximate and arbitrary set of scientific axes in a 3 dimensional block that represents the way the universe's forces interact. Our axes aren't even straight; they're bent and twisted save the very occasional brief moment where it is truly linear, and it is that from which we draw conclusions that may or may not hold true and may or may not have meaningful context elsewhere in the colossal cube of science. Just to be able to experience and to sample the tiniest fragment, the rarest of intersections is so unimaginably incredible.

"Quick Question Thread." :P

So it's virtually impossible to find out, and there's no definitive answer? That's fine.

So it's virtually impossible to find out, and there's no definitive answer? That's fine.

In fairness to all concerned, you should have known that. No-one's taken a car, with headlights on, past the speed of light and all the lab tests, suppositions and stats in the world won't change that fact. You could have spared us all from an Ad Lib post, but you didn't. you left the door open for him to post and he did. I hope you'e happy.

No one said the answers had to be quick ;)

It's not that it's virtually impossible to find out. It's that as far as our understanding of the relationship between time, energy and mass is concerned the entire situation is paradoxical or impossible, which isn't actually the same thing. If you dispense with one essential part of the inter-connected relationships between variables the rest all falls apart with it and you are as well saying "the car would be a maroon swan".

Do CityLink Gold buses have plug-sockets on them to plug in a laptop charger or any other electrical device that has a plug?

Can not find anything on their website and I want to try one of these apparently brilliant buses next time I head up the road.

Do CityLink Gold buses have plug-sockets on them to plug in a laptop charger or any other electrical device that has a plug?

Can not find anything on their website and I want to try one of these apparently brilliant buses next time I head up the road.

Apparently so - http://keaneonpolitics.blogspot.com/2010/07/review-citylinks-challenge-to-scotrail.html

Is that a man or a lesbian?

They seem pretty critical of it, but I'll still give it a go. Can't be any worse than standing from Inverness to Glasgow on a train because some old bid has taken your seat and refuses to move even though I have paid for said seat and she had to buy a ticket on the train.

Edit:-

I particularly liked the bit on that link when he/she says they went to Inverness as a bit of escapism. That would be a bit like Steve McQueen doing the great escape then ending up tunneling into Colditz by accident.

Edited by yoda

I don't want an explanation, I'm just generally curious.

If travelling at the speed of light in a car with the headlights on, would they work?

Some physicists believe it possible to get a vehicle up to and even beyond the speed of light, but it would require converting the mass of an entire galaxy into energy, using the e=mc2 formula, which could, potentially, make the holocaust seem like accidentally treading on an ant.

However, no headlights because it's fucking cold out there, and the battery would be dead.