Quick Question Thread

Guest The Phoenix

mad.gif well.......... laugh.gif i cant really insult your avatar in all honesty

Indeed.

I am delighted to announce that by popular demand, my avatar will be a permanent feature.

It still makes me shiver every time I see it.

Indeed.

I am delighted to announce that by popular demand, my avatar will be a permanent feature.

It still makes me shiver every time I see it.

Yay! I enjoy seeing shock on a womans face, as i usually get them in a dark alleyway with a cloth over their mouth

It's the metric equivalent of the standard 1/6 gallon size that came into use when moulded bottles started being used in the 1820's

See https://www.lfw.co.uk/whisky_review/SWR22/article22-4.html in Loch Fyne Whiskies' (sadly discontinued) "Scotch Whisky Review"

Nice attempt at an explanation but it doesn't fit. The explanation is from a whisky site but whisky is sold in 70cl bottles, not 75cl. I'm sure some German whites are also in 70cl.

Who are the people who come up on the right hand side of the forum home page who post via Twitter, and why don't they have any posts on here? Are they members?

I've been wondering this myself for the past week or so.

Nice attempt at an explanation but it doesn't fit. The explanation is from a whisky site but whisky is sold in 70cl bottles, not 75cl. I'm sure some German whites are also in 70cl.

Yeah, it's from a whisky site. The reason that I linked to it is because I remember reading the hard copy of the article when that edition of the Scotch Whisky Review first came out.

If you read the full article, you will see the following explanation of 1) why wine bottles were originally used for whisky and 2) when whisky and wine bottle sizes diverged

1) "Until about 1850 all wine and spirits bottles were made from ‘black’ glass—in fact it was very dark green or dark brown—owing to particles of iron in the sand used in their manufacture. Clear glass bottles and decanters were made, but they were taxed at eleven times the rate of black glass. Indeed, owing to the Glass Tax, bottles remained expensive, and continued to be hoarded and re-used until after 1845, when duty on glass was abolished. The earliest known ‘whisky bottles’ were re-used wine bottles. Even after the duty had been lifted and clear glass began to be used more, whisky makers continued to favour green glass bottles, often with glass seals on their shoulders. VAT 69 continues this style of bottle."

2) In 1992 the standard [whisky] bottle size throughout the European Community was lowered to 70cl. The United States retains fluid ounces, with the ‘reputed quart’ remaining the standard bottle size (75cl). In Japan, both 75cl and 70cl bottles are acceptable.

With regard to your claim re German whites in 70cl sizes, I can't recall ever seeing one. You'll need to provide some sort of proof to convince!

The standard prescribed sizes for most wines include 50cl & 75cl, but there is an exemption for the Yellow wines “Côtes du Jura”, “Arbois”, “L'Étoile” and “Château-Chalon” which may be packed in 62cl quantities.

See The Weights and Measures (Intoxicating Liquor) Order 1988 which implements Council Directive 88/316/EEC in the UK. Similar national implementing legislation will exist in Germany

Who are the people who come up on the right hand side of the forum home page who post via Twitter, and why don't they have any posts on here? Are they members?

I don't have Twitter but as a guess, they're 'following' P&B or vice versa and so their banal shite is smeared all over the right side of the screen.

I don't have Twitter but as a guess, they're 'following' P&B or vice versa and so their banal shite is smeared all over the right side of the screen.

I'm imagining you can "log in" via a Twitter account now in much the same way as you can via facebook without going through the rigmarole of actually signing up. Your Twitter account would become linked with P&B even though you don't actually have a P&B log in, if you get what I mean.

I'm imagining you can "log in" via a Twitter account now in much the same way as you can via facebook without going through the rigmarole of actually signing up. Your Twitter account would become linked with P&B even though you don't actually have a P&B log in, if you get what I mean.

I don't because I'm a massive technophobe but it seems logical enough. You can definitely login with a Twitter account but I have no idea what that does. Same with the Facebook thing.