Quick Question Thread

Why do some pubs sell spirits in 35ml measures and others 25ml? Who decides this and why is there a difference?

It's up to the individual pub.

Gin, rum, vodka & whisky have been "prescribed spirits" since 1963. At that time, pubs could choose to serve the prescribed spirits by 1/6 gills, 1/5 gills & 1/4 gills - but they had to use the same measure for all the prescribed spirits throughout the licensed premises.

When spirit sizes were metricated (1996 from memory?), it was originally decided to standardise on 25ml (a bit larger than 1/6 gill and a bit smaller than 1/5 gill). The pubs that sold 1/4 gill were unhappy about this, so they successfully lobbied for 35ml to be added to the permitted sizes.

As a matter of interest, brandy is likely to be added to the list of prescribed spirits in the near future.

Nephew has me puzzled he asked- "If lions have paws and giraffes have hoofs. What do elephants have?"

feet.

they're ungulates, antelope or deer or cattle, but not even toed or odd toed ungulates they're in a third special group for various skelatal reasons.

but basically feet.

Edited by theentomologist

Guest The Phoenix

Why does the periodic table look a strange shape and not like a normal table?

The elements are arranged to reflect chemical patterns, especially down the vertical columns.

except on a sunday.

Nope, unless I'm mistaken it was changed on the 1st September 2009 to 10am to 10pm, seven days a week. I bought beer just after 10am on a Sunday morning last year whilst I was getting food at Tesco.

What is the best web browser in your own personal opinion?

IE is slow as f**k on my pc

Chrome sometimes crashes (something to do with plug in unresponsive)

It's doing ma tatties in sad.gif

Nope, unless I'm mistaken it was changed on the 1st September 2009 to 10am to 10pm, seven days a week. I bought beer just after 10am on a Sunday morning last year whilst I was getting food at Tesco.

ah. its not really something I get a lot of. and its been a while since I worked for Sainsburys. so I stand corrected.