The New Raith Rovers Thread

Bare in mind Spence had a season paired with Brian Graham though.

True and Stewart may not have hit 10 goals if it wasn't for Vaughan.

Graham is a good example of a striker who Morton fans were slagging off, but who came good with us.

I didn't really rate Spence that highly but you can't argue with his league scoring record for us. 10 goal a season strikers are probably where Raith Rovers should be looking in the transfer (well signing) market.

If we can sign someone who knows where the goal is, then give him good service into the box from the likes of Connolly, Anderson, Craigan, etc. then we should get goals.

Edited by Scary Bear

Too many raosters complaining about our not signing a "proper" or "recognised" or "proven" or even an "out and out striker". If you're any of these things, a) you've most likely got a club because you're one of these things, and b) Raith isn't a sexy club. We're mid table flatterers. We were nicknamed "The Great Tantalisers" in the past. If you're any of these things and without a club for whatever reason, there will be at least half a dozen other options available to you, from bottom half of premier to others in this league with more money. It's not like there's a glut of these fellys hanging around training pitches shouting "geez a game".

Our best bet is to sign someone whose stats and reputation aren't remarkable and hope to witness a transformation, eg Brian Graham, or sign a solid utility player who chips in and gets a share of goals, eg Martin Hardie when they signed him.

And Vaughan will be back. And Vaughan and Stewart worked before and it will work again. And we'll have our regular back line. And we've got an army of midfielders to perm a combination from.

We're nowhere near good enough to go up and we all know it. A wee shot of realism would go a long way this year and see what can be done next.

Ken everyone is saying "we're not good enough for promotion".... "We're a mid table championship team". If that's the mentality then that's all we will ever be. What Ray is trying to do with regards to the positivity of the support, the players, the board, and the club is bang on.... It comes down to law of attraction... If you keep telling yourself something it will happen both on a positive and negative sense. We can be pessimistic and that won't get us anywhere.... A bit of optimism won't do anyone any harm. We will start scoring, we will finish in a playoff spot this season, the club is improving both on and off the pitch, we are a good team. If more people had this attitude then it would rub off on others. Negative thoughts will give negative results

Edited by Geordie_Munrover

Would personally rather the club took the the approach of teams down South and dipped into the Lower leagues to try and find some talent rather than take a stab in the dark with these guys who have no real goal scoring record and maybe potentially unearth a talent, e.g. Jamie Vardy's story.

For the standard of football up here, there are for sure players out there in the junior ranks who are more than good enough to cut it at this level, alright there may be other factors why they are not full time with having good full time jobs etc. but I'm not believing for one minute every player is in that position.

It wouldn't take a lot of effort either, most clubs of any sort have websites, up to date data it wouldn't be hard to see who's performing well and having someone potentially employed as a scout to take in these games and make recommendations.

This was a main bug bare of mine back when I played youth football, where a lot of talent would get picked up by the clubs out with Fife and ourselves, Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath and East Fife always seemed to be stuck on their heels and miss out on opportunities to pick up guys.

But I wouldn't expect anything of this sort to be even considered. I mentioned in another thread that a few seasons ago I had someone inform rovers about Nathan Austin when he was playing at Leven to have someone take a look at the guy. This fell on deaf ears and the boy has now earned a move to Falkirk from East Fife for some cash.

Would personally rather the club took the the approach of teams down South and dipped into the Lower leagues to try and find some talent rather than take a stab in the dark with these guys who have no real goal scoring record and maybe potentially unearth a talent, e.g. Jamie Vardy's story.

For the standard of football up here, there are for sure players out there in the junior ranks who are more than good enough to cut it at this level, alright there may be other factors why they are not full time with having good full time jobs etc. but I'm not believing for one minute every player is in that position.

It wouldn't take a lot of effort either, most clubs of any sort have websites, up to date data it wouldn't be hard to see who's performing well and having someone potentially employed as a scout to take in these games and make recommendations.

This was a main bug bare of mine back when I played youth football, where a lot of talent would get picked up by the clubs out with Fife and ourselves, Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath and East Fife always seemed to be stuck on their heels and miss out on opportunities to pick up guys.

But I wouldn't expect anything of this sort to be even considered. I mentioned in another thread that a few seasons ago I had someone inform rovers about Nathan Austin when he was playing at Leven to have someone take a look at the guy. This fell on deaf ears and the boy has now earned a move to Falkirk from East Fife for some cash.

I agree and maybe that's what McKinnon will be doing in the summer. Looking at young guys playing lower down and seeing if they can make the step.

That option isn't available just now though as all those players will be in contract and we don't have any money to buy them. When bringing in a January signing it's always going to be someone who is on the fringes of things at another club or a free signing and both of these types are always gambles.

We weren't free scoring at the start of the season but we had a solid defensive base and that's how we picked up the points. I'm far more concerned about getting Thomson and Toshney back in the starting line-up than taking a gamble on a striker that may be a complete donley. Toshney is a threat from set pieces and Thomson provides another attacking outlet which, as good as Bates has been, he doesn't offer.

I'm with Ryan on this one, we passed up chances on both Nathan Austin and Faissal El Bakhtaoui and now we're looking to maybe take a gamble on a couple of overseas guys, there has to be a guy playing at a lower level that would be able to do a better job for us than what we have at present.

If we are to take a punt on Thomas or Hereqi I'd opt for the latter, Chelsea must have seen something there to give him a trial if not a deal. Thomas on the other hand didn't even shine at Hamilton.

Really good post I've taken in all levels of football in Britain and in the last two seasons some top East and West Junior games and your correct in what your saying. Some of the boys in the juniors are easily good enough for the top leagues in Scotland.

Really good post I've taken in all levels of football in Britain and in the last two seasons some top East and West Junior games and your correct in what your saying. Some of the boys in the juniors are easily good enough for the top leagues in Scotland.

Why are they playing junior then?

There's a boy playing for Rosyth the now, Hampson I'm sure, has scored a barrow load. The club were tipped off to him but they're again not interested . Not saying he's gonna be the next Austin or even Vardy but surely worth a look

Stuart Cargill, who was top scorer in the super league last year, was released by East Fife aged 18. Joe Dunbar (remember him?) played for Newtongrange Star and by all means was superb for them, came to us and couldn't get in the team. The truth is that whilst there will be the odd hidden gem playing at a low level, the majority are by and large are playing there for a reason - they're not good enough to make the step up. To claim that there's loads and all we need to do is pick one is daft in the extreme.

There's a boy playing for Rosyth the now, Hampson I'm sure, has scored a barrow load. The club were tipped off to him but they're again not interested . Not saying he's gonna be the next Austin or even Vardy but surely worth a look

East Fife, Cowden...or worse will take a punt on him and he'll end up banging them in before he gets a move somewhere bigger.

I wish we would try this, I know we don't have the cash to buy promising youngsters but you only have to look at the ones that Dundee Utd have signed to see that this is a decent idea.