The New Raith Rovers Thread

Two year deal seems a risk. I suppose it may have been necessary to get him to commit to the job considering he had a two year deal at East Fife, but what if you get nowhere near the title next season then get pumped out in the semi-final of the playoffs? You can't see him being kept on in that scenario surely.

1 hour ago, Bambino7 said:

Not really.  Have a wee search for where him and Lewis are from and what team they support, it's not hard to work out. 

Apologies. I'll try to make the sarcasm more obvious next time. 

16 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

McGlynn was kept on when that happened.

McGlynn surely wasn't expected to win promotion at the first attempt though? McGlynn only took over in November of your second season after relegation when you were part time, had finished 7th the season before he took over and had full time sides to compete with in his first two seasons in charge: he won it at his third attempt which was the first time there were no FT teams in the league. That's not comparable to Smith who'll be managing a full time side, where failing to come straight back up will be a disaster.

17 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Interesting to hear that he already has a few players in mind that he's going to speak to, to try get them to the club.

Don't really want him to be raiding East Fife(They did finish fifth after all). So I hope that won't be the case.

Looking, lazily, at players he has worked with previously, based on what we need and who is available I'll take a guess at one or two of the following:

Ben Gordon
Jason Marr
Willie Dyer/Daryl Meggatt
Mark Docherty
Greig Spence/Chris Duggan

Thats based on him having a totally unimaginative signing policy which I'm sure/hope won't be the case. 

Happy with smith being appointed. Getting him in now is good because it gives him time to get his players in and get working with him. His track record is half decent, and maybe had he been at east fife longer then he maybe could have made the playoffs with them, hopefully achieve promotion with us. But im no go take anything for granted because next season will be tough. A bit of decent football at starks next season would be good to see, but personally i dont care how we go about getting promotion as long as we do.

Looking, lazily, at players he has worked with previously, based on what we need and who is available I'll take a guess at one or two of the following:
Ben Gordon
Jason Marr
Willie Dyer/Daryl Meggatt
Mark Docherty
Greig Spence/Chris Duggan
Thats based on him having a totally unimaginative signing policy which I'm sure/hope won't be the case. 

Of those players,

I'd take Ben Gordon
I'd take Mark Docherty for this league
I'd take Spence back for this league as well.

The latter 2 I'd let go if we were to go up.