The New Raith Rovers Thread

The more I think about the draw the less gutted I am, I still would have preferred a good away day or a lower league side at home but ive never been to Ibrox so it gets one of the final 6 of the list I can think of it as the money is going to Rovers anyway due to the spilt in gates.

I have no doubt we will go out though and I can't help but feeling we as fans would be looking forward to the game more if we had a chance of doing a repeat of 2010 and getting to the semi or even better.

Controversial post alert:

So we've made a profit going by our recent accounts, will have gathered a decent whack with the visit of the big 3 this season, seem to be going about our business in a sound manner behind the scenes yet there's still that element within our support that gathering as much dosh as possible is the be all and end all. Like a few others I'd much have rathered seen us draw a team that would have given us a chance to progress, unfortunately I think this will be as far as we go in the competition this year. Going to Ibrox does not fill me with any sense of excitement what so ever at the moment and to be honest it would have to be a pretty monumental fixture to get me to attend there to watch us play. if that makes me any less of a supporter then so be it. I just think we, as supporters, should have a bit more ambition when it comes to cup games and look towards a progression in the competition more so than the desire to draw teams that would give us a decent pay out.

Remember we still have a stadium needing paid off

Remember we still have a stadium needing paid off

I could be totally wrong here so if I am my bad, I'm sure someone will correct me .... But don't we rent the Stadium from Simm, who is now on our board, meaning we wouldn't be taking on the stadium as a financial outgoing if we couldn't afford it minus "big paydays", therefor we never really in theory "have to pay it off" as long as Simm is happy and we are happy renting ? ...

Usually i wouldn't have bothered either way if we got a "big" club or a "diddy" club, however when you see 5/6/ odd SPL teams are out of the competition already and its filled with more winable ties than not, I'm kind off gutted we drew Rangers ... When you look at it realistically, minus about 4 or 5 clubs, the likes of Arbroath/Annan/Albion/Spartens/Brechin/Stranrear/Dunf & even perhaps Falkirk/QOS/Hibs on one of our better days are all definitely winable ties ...

From May 2014

Raith Rovers FC is pleased to announce that agreement has been reached with our landlord, Stark’s Park Properties Ltd, that will see the club remain at Stark’s Park for at least a further two years. Constructive negotiations between club officials and Stark’s Park Properties’ director and majority shareholder, John Sim, have taken place over the last 12 months, since well before the end of the original term of the lease last summer and, with continued cooperation and goodwill on both sides, this outcome will now allow the club and its landlord time to hopefully conclude a longer term arrangement on mutually acceptable terms.

Edited by Beachbum

A lot of utterly depressing statements in this thread. The aim of the Scottish Cup is to win it. Pipe dream or not, that's what I hope to gain from it every year.

Hibs and Falkirk will get to the Quarter Finals solely playing part-time teams. There'll be a maximum of four Premier League teams in the Quarter Finals, perhaps even less. Three of the four Quarter Finals are televised, so there's this pay day you're all desperate for. Suddenly you're a victory against some lower-half Premier League dross, or indeed the winner of the Spartans game, Falkirk, Hibernian, away from Hampden. Hampden! There's another pay day right there.

We may be shite, but we're not mid-table Second Division any more. On our day we can surprise someone, we showed this last season by beating Hibs and Rangers, and running Hearts exceptionally close. St Joghnstone were more comfortable which showed we couldn't do it on a regular basis. The only lower league side we've lost to in the last five years is Dunfermline this season. Drawing Spartans, Arbroath or the winners of one of the three all-lower league replays would've been terrific. A win against a lower-league team away from an almost-certainly televised match.

I know that the club needs to make money, and I know that despite recent profits we're still not in the best of positions.

But seriously, what is the point in football if you don't look to win trophies? Were you all praying for Celtic at Parkhead in the Quarter Finals of the League Cup in '94? Or did you happily take the fortunate draws and then get to as big an occasion as possible before you take the pay day?

What a depressing and short-sighted viewpoint. May as well be a mere investor in the club than a supporter if your only interest is the financial performance.

Edited by Paco

A lot of utterly depressing statements in this thread. The aim of the Scottish Cup is to win it. Pipe dream or not, that's what I hope to gain from it every year.

Hibs and Falkirk will get to the Quarter Finals solely playing part-time teams. There'll be a maximum of four Premier League teams in the Quarter Finals, perhaps even less. Three of the four Quarter Finals are televised, so there's this pay day you're all desperate for. Suddenly you're a victory against some lower-half Premier League dross, or indeed the winner of the Spartans game, Falkirk, Hibernian, away from Hampden. Hampden! There's another pay day right there.

We may be shite, but we're not mid-table Second Division any more. On our day we can surprise someone, we showed this last season by beating Hibs and Rangers, and running Hearts exceptionally close. St Joghnstone were more comfortable which showed we couldn't do it on a regular basis. The only lower league side we've lost to in the last five years is Dunfermline this season. Drawing Spartans, Arbroath or the winners of one of the three all-lower league replays would've been terrific. A win against a lower-league team away from an almost-certainly televised match.

I know that the club needs to make money, and I know that despite recent profits we're still not in the best of positions.

But seriously, what is the point in football if you don't look to win trophies? Were you all praying for Celtic at Parkhead in the Quarter Finals of the League Cup in '94? Or did you happily take the fortunate draws and then get to as big an occasion as possible before you take the pay day?

What a depressing and short-sighted viewpoint. May as well be a mere investor in the club than a supporter if your only interest is the financial performance.

Couldn't agree more.

I can't believe some people on here think this current Rovers side could win the Scottish Cup. This side! Don't you have eyes?

I believed McGlynn's side could do it after the Aberdeen games, in 2009-2010. I always believed Nichol's teams could do it. I don't have the same belief in this side or in Murray as a manager. You can't just make that belief come about.

Edited by Scary Bear

I can't believe some people on here think this current Rovers side could win the Scottish Cup. This side! Don't you have eyes?

I believed McGlynn's side could do it after the Aberdeen games, in 2009-2010. I always believed Nichol's teams could do it. I don't have the same belief in this side or in Murray as a manager. You can't just make that belief come about.

I didn't say we could win it, what I said is we could well have had a chance to get to the quarter finals playing solely part-time teams, like Falkirk and Hibs do. And even at that, they both have a chance of a further part-time team in the quarters. And if you don't get the part-timers, you get TV.

And yet we have people creaming their drawers because we might get 3,000 punters worth of money and TV cash from a last 16 game with Sevco. It was a fucking awful draw, not the worst, but far from the best.

Edited by Paco

Still think we'll see a crowd over 10000 at this game.

I'm non plussed about this draw. It's opposite ends of the spectrum. Gives us a bit of cash. Or one of the lesser sides that would have gave us a good chance at progressing.

We should just all be glad we avoided the likes of Queens and Falkirk which wouldn't have ticked either box.

If we had drawn Arbroath we would have went in as favourites. We could then have met Spartans/Albion/Berwick in the quarters. We could have then had a sell out at Hampden vs Celtic with TV money.

No one is claiming we could win the cup. However, people seem happy with a payday and are saying this is a good draw when really, we could have delayed the inevitable pumping till a later round had we got the luck of the draw. Obviously it's random but id have liked a lesser team at home with no TV money and under 1500 fans if it meant progressing.

The way I see it is this a terrible draw. Rangers are becoming the new Airdrie to us.

Appeared for the reserves for 60 minutes last night without problem which is great news. Counting down the days until we get shot of Ross fucking Perry.

Good to see Barr getting some game time, but I can't help feeling Murray will end by up offering Perry a new deal and releasing Hill.

Hill is by far our best defender so that would be enough to give murray the sack if he even considers it..

Well that's clearly not true, Watson is better for a start and since I've built up Barr in my head to be the best defender ever to grace the earth he better be as well.

Hill is by far our best defender so that would be enough to give murray the sack if he even considers it..

I know he hasn't played for a long time, but that's a step too far. He hasn't hit the heights of last season, but Paul Watson is IMO our best defender. He's not helped by having the woeful Perry alongside him, right enough.

Hill has some great games and some bad ones, and is also prone to silly red cards.

If we had drawn Arbroath we would have went in as favourites. We could then have met Spartans/Albion/Berwick in the quarters. We could have then had a sell out at Hampden vs Celtic with TV money.

No one is claiming we could win the cup. However, people seem happy with a payday and are saying this is a good draw when really, we could have delayed the inevitable pumping till a later round had we got the luck of the draw. Obviously it's random but id have liked a lesser team at home with no TV money and under 1500 fans if it meant progressing.

The way I see it is this a terrible draw. Rangers are becoming the new Airdrie to us.

Inevitable pumping? Maybe not. Did you see Rangers collapse tonight?