The New Raith Rovers Thread

Laidlaw will be 23 by the time the season starts. Please can we take the rose tinted glasses off. He is far from a "youngster" in footballing terms.

I think it would suit both Ross and us if we let him go.

He is good enough to play at a lower level. It might even be the making of him getting game time.

Third choice keeper in the Scottish Championship is not good for his CV.

Do we really need 3 keepers?

Cuthbert is a good goalkeeper, we have been spoiled having the witch though. Laidlaw definitely has the potential to be a professional gk aswell, decent distribution and decent shot stopping. He is young though and needs game time to progress so it isn't a bad idea to sign him up and send him out on loan.

Clarkson news is great if true.

As for the keeper debate I'm with Raith 92/93, Cuthbert has shown nothing to merit being kept. At 23 Laidlaw is still a baby (keeper wise) and has a lot to learn. Although nowhere near over the hill Cuthbert hasn't impressed at anytime where as Laidlaw has, he was superb at Easter rd earlier in the season.

Edited by Scottydog

Laidlaw will be 23 by the time the season starts. Please can we take the rose tinted glasses off. He is far from a "youngster" in footballing terms.

I think it would suit both Ross and us if we let him go.

He is good enough to play at a lower level. It might even be the making of him getting game time.

Third choice keeper in the Scottish Championship is not good for his CV.

Do we really need 3 keepers?

McGurn was 24 before he started getting a game for Morton.

Cuthbert was somewhere between poor and average before his injury, and outright dismal when he came back in. Only his performances before joining us make me think he's any good, but I mean it in the nicest possible way when I say I hope we never see his best in a Rovers shirt as he shouldn't be playing unless McGurn is injured, suspended or drastically out of form.

Laidlaw is a trickier one. I think we'd all love to see him do well, and he's a more than capable goalkeeper. But once he makes a mistake, that's that. If he can sort his confidence out he'll be fine at this level. He might need to move to do that though.

Patience probably would've entirely ran out with Laidlaw long ago had he not came through our youth system. He has ability, but he inevitably chucks one in and then goes to bits and keeps doing it. The bad games then continue until he's dropped. It's inevitable that a keeper will make mistakes, but they also have to be able to put them behind them.

Patience probably would've entirely ran out with Laidlaw long ago had he not came through our youth system.

Exactly this.

If we had signed Laidlaw and he put in those performances last season he would have been spoken of in the same terms as McNeil or Robinson. Unless he sorts his confidence then we simply can not play him.

The same is true of Callachan. He had a few shocking games last season but avoided the criticism that Moon and Fox took. We all want to see our youth players make it but sometimes they deserve criticism or are simply not good enough.

We can't keep slating every goalkeeper who has the temerity to start ahead of McGurn

He IS ok and better than Laidlaw

On paper he's okay. On the pitch for Rovers he has been pretty ropey.

Curious who the signing news could be ... It seems we all knew about Petrie and McCord before it happened ... Not heard anything else as of late ? Striker perhaps, or a winger !? Curious to see ...

Curious who the signing news could be ... It seems we all knew about Petrie and McCord before it happened ... Not heard anything else as of late ? Striker perhaps, or a winger !? Curious to see ...

Could easy be Watson or Laidlaw re-signing

Could easy be Watson or Laidlaw re-signing

Right enough, completly forgot they 2 were still in talks ! Your probably right ... There goes that excitement haha !