The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

The second round is played next midweek so the draw will be next Wednesday night/ Thursday afternoon I'd imagine..

Christ I thought the second round had already been played. Trying to arrange something for that day but as tragic as it sounds I don't want to miss a cup tie at home. Thanks for that though. 

Its funny how its announced that Bates goes to Rangers and everyone finds its weird. The next thing hes on the bench in a cup game and he becomes the next big thing. Im not having a go at the boy but i think some people need to calm their expectations.

14 minutes ago, RRFC1989 said:

Its funny how its announced that Bates goes to Rangers and everyone finds its weird. The next thing hes on the bench in a cup game and he becomes the next big thing. Im not having a go at the boy but i think some people need to calm their expectations.

I don't think anyone's saying he's going to become the ginger Maldini. I think people are saying he's a reasonable prospect who could potentially go onto to have a solid career. Barry McKay wasn't stopped by many defenders last year, but Bates was one. If he can keep that form up, then other clubs who are larger than us will naturally be interested. 

Jordan Thompson started for Rangers under 20s tonight in the Challenge Cup...

As did Ryan Hardie.

How does that work? I'd have thought if you went out on loan to a club then that's who you play for until the end of the loan/been recalled. I mean what if the Rangers u20's get through and then drawn against say St Mirren, who does Ryan Hardie then play for?
The introduction of the u20's teams in the Challenge Cup is nonsense in my opinion anyway.

3 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

How does that work? I'd have thought if you went out on loan to a club then that's who you play for until the end of the loan/been recalled. I mean what if the Rangers u20's get through and then drawn against say St Mirren, who does Ryan Hardie then play for?
The introduction of the u20's teams in the Challenge Cup is nonsense in my opinion anyway.

He is obviously on a Development loan for u20's qualified players rather than a standard or emergency loan. As such he can play for his parent club's u20 side in the Development League (and in the Irn Bru Cup) but can only play for the borrowing club at senior level.

Cup tied rules still apply. If he's played for Rangers u20's in this then he can't play for St Mirren in it now. Even if he hadn't played for Rangers he wouldn't be allowed to play against them for St Mirren under the rules anyway (though he could in theory play for Rangers against St Mirren).

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He is obviously on a Development loan for u20's qualified players rather than a standard or emergency loan. As such he can play for his parent club's u20 side in the Development League (and in the Irn Bru Cup) but can only play for the borrowing club at senior level.

Cup tied rules still apply. If he's played for Rangers u20's in this then he can't play for St Mirren in it now. Even if he hadn't played for Rangers he wouldn't be allowed to play against them for St Mirren under the rules anyway (though he could in theory play for Rangers against St Mirren).

Let me check that I've got this right - Premier League sides have managed to force their way into the Challenge Cup on the supposed grounds that it enables their young players experience in senior football. They then recall the players they'e loaned out to senior sides to play for their own under-20s in that cup, in the process ruling them out of any chance of playing for the loaning club in the same competition?

Right you are then.

Just now, Yoss said:

Let me check that I've got this right - Premier League sides have managed to force their way into the Challenge Cup on the supposed grounds that it enables their young players experience in senior football. They then recall the players they'e loaned out to senior sides to play for their own under-20s in that cup, in the process ruling them out of any chance of playing for the loaning club in the same competition?

Right you are then.

As far as I know the Premiership sides haven't "forced" their way into anything. They were invited and I've not heard any suggestion that it was at their own suggestion. Development loans have always allowed the player to continue to play 20's football for his parent club. Nothing new in that. It's their call if they think the boys benefit more by playing in one team or the other. As it should be. They always had the right to veto inclusion in cup ties anyway.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As far as I know the Premiership sides haven't "forced" their way into anything. They were invited and I've not heard any suggestion that it was at their own suggestion. 

They've been trying to get their Colt teams into the senior system in some form for years.

I'm not overly pleased that our new midfielder played 90 minutes last night and will be in the squad again on Tuesday. What if he misses the Fife derby because he's fucking about with Rangers u20's?

The Challenge Cup is an absolute shambles this season. I was going to say I'd be delighted if we played the u19's, but I suppose it would be worthwhile to get players like Osei, Coustrain, Roberts, Robertson etc a competitive game.

An all round shambles. I'd love to say I won't be going but no doubt we'll draw the Pars and I'll feel compelled to.

I won't be going. I have no interest at all in it.

edit: unless we get drawn away in Wales or something silly, in which case I might think about it.

Edited by Yoss