The New Raith Rovers Thread

Not a bad signing in my opinion. We were far too lightweight last year, and him and Gillespie allows us to build a fairly solid base in midfield, to win the ball back earlier and press teams further up the pitch. A midfield 3 of him, Gillespie and Milne would give a decent balance in midfield, with Duggan, Vaughan and Buchanan (or preferably someone else) further ahead.

Matthews sadly doesn't look like he'll manage to reach the level other youth players have managed. Partially in that he started so strongly, especially in that game against Celtic (with that said, there are quite a few players who come to mind where they've made their debut at a young age, and then utterly bodied Scott Brown. Cochrane did similar last season at 16 years old for Hearts. Everyone wants to leave a mark on one of the most recognisable names in Scottish football).  

The other part is that he's let down by the fact either he, or three managers in a row, seem to be under the impression he can be used as a winger. I can't recall any games where he's managed to get down the wing when he's played at right midfield.

With Wedderburn we know exactly what we're getting. At least we'll not have to watch Vaughan and Herron get ruined in midfield with Wedderburn and Gillespie there now. The 4-2-3-1 dream lives on.

3 minutes ago, He's Got No Hair said:

Lets get some wingers in now. 

Agreed. It's a position we really need to add. Also looks like Watson as first choice right back.

If we bring in a decent winger to play on the right we could go for a 433 with wedderburn and Gillespie sitting in front of the defence with Milne ahead of them. Then Vaughan on the left, new right winger and one of duggan and Buchanan as striker. No doubt we’ll be stuck with 442 all season again though.

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Matthews sadly doesn't look like he'll manage to reach the level other youth players have managed. Partially in that he started so strongly, especially in that game against Celtic (with that said, there are quite a few players who come to mind where they've made their debut at a young age, and then utterly bodied Scott Brown. Cochrane did similar last season at 16 years old for Hearts. Everyone wants to leave a mark on one of the most recognisable names in Scottish football).  

The other part is that he's let down by the fact either he, or three managers in a row, seem to be under the impression he can be used as a winger. I can't recall any games where he's managed to get down the wing when he's played at right midfield.

With Wedderburn we know exactly what we're getting. At least we'll not have to watch Vaughan and Herron get ruined in midfield with Wedderburn and Gillespie there now. The 4-2-3-1 dream lives on.

Agreed. It's a position we really need to add. Also looks like Watson as first choice right back.

If we have budget for two more plus a keeper, I'd probably go for a winger and a targetman type centre forward, and take our chances with Watson at right back if need be. Despite adding Duggan's strength, I still feel like up top is a bit samey.  You'd also think having two sitting midfielders would give extra protection for an inexperienced right back in a way the 4-4-2 wouldn't, while giving a bit of freedom to Milne and Vaughan.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

If we have budget for two more plus a keeper, I'd probably go for a winger and a targetman type centre forward, and take our chances with Watson at right back if need be. Despite adding Duggan's strength, I still feel like up top is a bit samey.  You'd also think having two sitting midfielders would give extra protection for an inexperienced right back in a way the 4-4-2 wouldn't, while giving a bit of freedom to Milne and Vaughan.

Even if we get three new signings, you'd expect we'll see loan deals come into play too. Still plenty of time for things moving forwards.

Yeah, the way this squad is shaping up there’s no way 4-4-2 is playing to our strengths.

Gillespie at RB, Milne in a central midfield two, and Matthews on the right wing? Incoming.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Yeah, the way this squad is shaping up there’s no way 4-4-2 is playing to our strengths.

Gillespie at RB, Milne in a central midfield two, and Matthews on the right wing? Incoming.

*shudder*

Mind you, if it's Vaughan as a nominal winger, you'd imagine that's a pretty fluid, free role and we'd look almost like a front three again.

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

A bit embarrassing to be signing the pars cast-offs but he seems fairly decent.

We're a fucking dumping ground for every patron of the last chance saloon. Just have to hope a few of them are up to it.

6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

A bit embarrassing to be signing the pars cast-offs but he seems fairly decent.

Who else should we be going for? A player that has played in the Championship for the last two years, been a regular starter in a side that was in the play-offs last season. I thought we would be going for players in League 1 or 2 who played well last season with the offer of full time football. It's positive that we are getting players who have played in the league above and some with recent Premiership experience. We are Raith Rovers in League 1, a comedy club after the last two years and I think the signings of Gillespie and Wedderburn are much better than we could have expected. 

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

My bet is Matthews RM, Gillespie* and Wedderburn central and either Vaughan or Milne shoehorned into left midfield. The joys.

* dependant on how Watson copes

NOOOOOO! It can't be a 4-4-2. Surely not. Maybe Smith just didn't have the players to play a 4-2-3-1 last season.  Our central midfield was so weak there is no way he could of just left the one-legged Robertson and Herron etc. in there. At least with Wedderburn and Gillespie they can play DM and provide the stability and allow us to perhaps be more fluid in the front 4 positions. 

Edited by He's Got No Hair

Who else should we be going for? A player that has played in the Championship for the last two years, been a regular starter in a side that was in the play-offs last season. I thought we would be going for players in League 1 or 2 who played well last season with the offer of full time football. It's positive that we are getting players who have played in the league above and some with recent Premiership experience. We are Raith Rovers in League 1, a comedy club after the last two years and I think the signings of Gillespie and Wedderburn are much better than we could have expected. 

All fair enough. Looks to me like we’ll have a weaker squad than the one that failed last season but expect them to perform better. Just don’t see it. I guess we just have to accept that’s where we are.

As above with a winger

Or 3-5-2 with Matthews deeper on the right in place of Watson and Buchanan up front? Would mean no winger but do we need one with the lack of height in attacking areas? Maybe Smith is going for fast-flowing fitba on the new surface lol

13 minutes ago, pantene pro-V said:

As above with a winger

Or 3-5-2 with Matthews deeper on the right in place of Watson and Buchanan up front? Would mean no winger but do we need one with the lack of height in attacking areas? Maybe Smith is going for fast-flowing fitba on the new surface lol

I have watched pre season training a few times last 2 weeks and in barry' s defence everything is on the deck, hopefullya sign of things to come