The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think the fact he's not even Ross Millen is a more pressing issue. 

You've answered but not said specifically what he's done wrong.

Grim as f**k reading some of the shite on here these days. We finished well clear of third place last season and have improved the squad since. Of course we are worthy favourites for the title.

No pace in the side seems to be the most common criticism aimed at the team. Compared to who though? Can't even think of a player we came up against last season who worried us with blistering pace. You might get the odd winger at this level who has a decent turn of pace but they will usually be shite at the other aspects of the game, if that wasn't the case they wouldn't be playing in the Scottish Championship.

Freeman is the new go to for the boo boys. He hasn't done a thing wrong other than perhaps being a bit cautious getting forward. It was the same for Ross Millen when he first signed. Although his time with us has now taken on some kind of rose tinted revisionism as to how effective he actually was. 

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Potentially agree with this. 

I don't rate Freeman too highly so far but I do think he's an upgrade on Millen defensively, albeit not by much. He's too safe in his general play which ultimately slows us down. He's two footed which is normally a good thing but it seems like he uses the wrong one to play the pass with in certain situations, which affects our forward momentum. I never rated Millen highly and all he really had was a good cross from deep imo. For us to play with a holding midfielder we need both fullbacks to push on and allow the back 4 to become a back 3, with the midfielder slotting in. Stevenson will get forward either down the line or drift in, Freeman needs to learn from him in doing the same and we could be on to something with him. If he doesn't then we're not improved at rb from having Matthews play there who is probably more likely to get forward and put a ball in the box imo. 

If we wanted an attacking right back tumility was free in the summer and would have been perfect imo 

3 minutes ago, Toddy said:

He's done nothing wrong. Rest of the squad is full of popular and proven players so he is the sole contender for being this season's scapegoat

5 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I don't rate Freeman too highly so far but I do think he's an upgrade on Millen defensively, albeit not by much. He's too safe in his general play which ultimately slows us down. He's two footed which is normally a good thing but it seems like he uses the wrong one to play the pass with in certain situations, which affects our forward momentum. I never rated Millen highly and all he really had was a good cross from deep imo. For us to play with a holding midfielder we need both fullbacks to push on and allow the back 4 to become a back 3, with the midfielder slotting in. Stevenson will get forward either down the line or drift in, Freeman needs to learn from him in doing the same and we could be on to something with him. If he doesn't then we're not improved at rb from having Matthews play there who is probably more likely to get forward and put a ball in the box imo. 

Thanks for the reply. I've seen comments that he's passing sideways and backwards to often but if you watch when he gets forward, he looks for a forward pass but the midfield are nowhere to be seen and he's no option but to go sideways/backwards. There was 2 or 3 times against Hamilton where i heard people groaning about it but had he punted it forward, the same people would be moaning too. Your comment about Stevenson getting forward was interesting to me also as most of the goals we've lost so far this season have come from crosses from the left of our defence but nobody seems to be mentioning that.

16 minutes ago, Toddy said:

Sorry for picking on your comment specifically but i'm really intrigued as to what Freeman has actually done wrong that's caused numerous posters to complain about him? I've been to games V's East Fife, Inverness, Stirling ,Stranraer and Hamilton so far and haven't seen what others obviously have to cause such a fuss.  

I thought he was a bit weak at the second goal against Ross County, although on another day it might have bounced our way and we get away with it, but he’s not overly impressed either and he’s offered bare minimum at best going forward, although I wasn’t there on Saturday. 

I also presumed Ross Millen would be an absolute disaster and was really annoyed we signed him, and that worked out okay in the end, so we’ll see what happens! 

1 minute ago, RR #1 said:

He's done nothing wrong. Rest of the squad is full of popular and proven players so he is the sole contender for being this season's scapegoat

I mentioned on other social media that he's the shoe in for the Ronnie Coyle award this season. Ronnie could make 5 or 6 challenges but make 1 mistake and he'd be hammered for the 1 mistake. 

3 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Agreed looked ok in the games I have saw him, Millens  first season he was a bombscare at times 

Edited by Been going too long

1 minute ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I thought he was a bit weak at the second goal against Ross County, although on another day it might have bounced our way and we get away with it, but he’s not overly impressed either and he’s offered bare minimum at best going forward, although I wasn’t there on Saturday. 

I also presumed Ross Millen would be an absolute disaster and was really annoyed we signed him, and that worked out okay in the end, so we’ll see what happens! 

He stopped the first attempt at the 2nd goal at County, he was extremely unlucky it fell to the County player. 

5 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

I think Hamilton has that wrapped up. He gets plenty of stick most weeks. 

10 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

Grim as f**k reading some of the shite on here these days. We finished well clear of third place last season and have improved the squad since. Of course we are worthy favourites for the title.

No pace in the side seems to be the most common criticism aimed at the team. Compared to who though? Can't even think of a player we came up against last season who worried us with blistering pace. You might get the odd winger at this level who has a decent turn of pace but they will usually be shite at the other aspects of the game, if that wasn't the case they wouldn't be playing in the Scottish Championship.

Hamilton were faster than us all over the pitch on Saturday. And I'll happily bet Airdrie will be on Saturday too.

We just plod along offering very little in attack. I think we'll be somewhere between 4th and 6th this season, which is pretty much where our results from December on had us last season. 

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think Hamilton has that wrapped up. He gets plenty of stick most weeks. 

He looks a player bereft of confidence for whatever reason , he is in his own head too much or can’t handle expectation, happens to lots of players 

18 minutes ago, Toddy said:

He's not had many glaring mistakes, I just don't see anything he's good at. He doesn't look too bad defensively but offers nothing going forward. I don't think he even knows what an overlap is. 

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Hamilton were faster than us all over the pitch on Saturday. And I'll happily bet Airdrie will be on Saturday too.

We just plod along offering very little in attack. I think we'll be somewhere between 4th and 6th this season, which is pretty much where our results from December on had us last season. 

I think their basic tempo and movement was quicker than ours, not that they were actually faster than our guys in a flat foot race and to be fair Murray noted that in his post match analysis.

I do think we have tended to be slower in the second half of the season but we still showed in moments that we could attack and overload teams quickly.

I'd also note that last year's league cup was barely better than this one: a derby fixture masking an otherwise average draw against a newly promoted side, and coming from behind against Annan.

Would also note how shite we looked against Partick Thistle for 70 minutes on the first matchday as well.

Freeman as all the right attributes but all to often for a player we were told was a right back or wing back gets to the half way line and stops constantly looking to play the ball backwards. He needs confidence to get forward but as I said in a post on Saturday I don't think he is helped as Mullin isn't a willing runner and perhaps having Gibson in front may help as he'll hog the right touch line.

5 hours ago, renton said:

So, we're all agreed then: we're shite.

Need to get the goal scorers back in the team. How many goals did Vaughan and Stanton get last season?

Take those goals out the team and you have a lot of huffing and puffing with little end result.

I don't think Megwa would've been a silver bullet - he's the type of player who gets you up the pitch but in terms of end product all the comments I've seen from Airdrie fans suggest he's actually quite poor in terms of an outlet. 

I've only seen the Stranraer game, and for most of that Freeman was fine. He linked up well with Josh Mullin for the first goal, and if he can do that regularly, he'll be an asset. However, in the latter stages of that game he absolutely went into his shell. Murray has alluded to it in two post match interviews that there have been points where some of the players have maybe backed off a bit and during that spell Freeman went into that category. It became very noticeable that rather than looking for a pass going forward down the pitch, or trying to take on his man, he'd simply turn and play the ball inside. I can't see Ian Murray standing with that if it becomes a habit. 

I only caught the highlights for the County game but thought he was unfortunate with the goal. @McGuigan1978 mentioned before about Ross Millen coming in and I'd say the same happened before with Rory McKeown - he came in and initially looked very poor, but conveniently improved when Ross Perry stopped appearing for us. Freeman won't have that excuse, but at 24 years old he's nowhere near his prime and has Murray, Potter, Stevenson, Hanlon, Dick and Fordyce all to offer him guidance. 

I'd agree with @RandomGuy. about Lewis Gibson. For me, we need as much as possible out of Connolly and Mullin this season but I'd expect us to start to use Gibson ahead of them given the intensity he's shown coming off the bench. 

2 hours ago, Been going too long said:

If we wanted an attacking right back tumility was free in the summer and would have been perfect imo 

Tumilty was still under contract with us in the summer as he signed a 2 year deal at the start of last season. To be honest Tumilty was bang average for us the majority of last season in L1 and was one of the weak links a lot of the time. He has had the occasional games where he does show his quality but that's not been often for us.