Who's Going To Uni?

I know most posters on here will be mainly concerned with Scotland but i can't imagine the overall picture being too different. Thought this was interesting. 

There's a very good chance that investing in Uni is worth it financially, but it's not a slam dunk. 

Of course it's not all about the profit and loss ledger, least not for everyone. 

Surprised by engineering not being higher and by English being positive. It's correlation not causation i suppose. 

_126280988_editedoptimised-university_earning_subject_dumbell-nc.png.thumb.webp.e1cee92c9e62d036b3f3b04dd02bc39f.webp

(accompanied an article about Sunak's latest brainfart but this isn't in the politics forum). 

58 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I know most posters on here will be mainly concerned with Scotland but i can't imagine the overall picture being too different. Thought this was interesting. 

There's a very good chance that investing in Uni is worth it financially, but it's not a slam dunk. 

Of course it's not all about the profit and loss ledger, least not for everyone. 

Surprised by engineering not being higher and by English being positive. It's correlation not causation i suppose. 

_126280988_editedoptimised-university_earning_subject_dumbell-nc.png.thumb.webp.e1cee92c9e62d036b3f3b04dd02bc39f.webp

(accompanied an article about Sunak's latest brainfart but this isn't in the politics forum). 

Going to assume all the Computer Science VL’s have been lumped in with Maths or Engineering

Interesting that Geography is so high, didn’t expect that to be up there 

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Going to assume all the Computer Science VL’s have been lumped in with Maths or Engineering

Interesting that Geography is so high, didn’t expect that to be up there 

I did notice IT was missing. Maybe they don’t have that in England.

Geography is in the same boat as English for my money. I could be very wrong and this is a sweeping assumption, but they’re both subjects that lots of comfortable middle class middle ability students do because they’re expected to go to Uni. So the differential could be as much because of background and networks as because of any value or skills added by studies. 

That probably accounts for a lot of the difference above the average lifetime earnings for most subjects to be fair but I’m guessing more in some than in others.

25 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's shameful what they are planning in England, capping courses that don't meet the Tory agenda. 

The whole justification for tuition fees was that markets know best and if people pay then they’ll invest wisely. 

They wouldn’t just make shit up to suit an agenda would they?

11 hours ago, olliethedug said:

Just finished third year, start as a nurse in September. 

Well done. Are you MH or General?

That's me finished 2nd year now. I was supposed to be having a week of simulated practice this week but it has been cancelled due to a cyber attack.

11 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

That's me finished 2nd year now. I was supposed to be having a week of simulated practice this week but it has been cancelled due to a cyber attack.

What have you been told about the cyber attack and how is it affecting your practice?

52 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Geography is in the same boat as English for my money. I could be very wrong and this is a sweeping assumption, but they’re both subjects that lots of comfortable middle class middle ability students do because they’re expected to go to Uni. 

I think you are very much wrong in this.

It doesn't tie in with my own observations of uni aplicants at all.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You did.  

There might be something in what you say, but it's not what I see.

Just found but haven’t yet digested this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/973239/The_returns_to_undergraduate_degrees_by_socio-economic_group_and_ethnicity.pdf

p29 has a (really badly drawn) diagram that shows the different subject choice by socio economic status. It does show that the two subjects I guessed at are very slightly biased towards more public school kids, although languages, history and medicine are more so (still not by huge amounts though).

The exec summary says that besides independent schooling, socioeconomic status has little impact on outcomes.

I think the word “besides” is working pretty hard there. You could say that besides the fatalities, beheadings are safe. 

Ethnicity appears a more significant variable though, which is intriguing.

18 minutes ago, mathematics said:

What have you been told about the cyber attack and how is it affecting your practice?

A lot of the uni online systems are affected and the simulated practice (which involves groupwork and discussion relating to scenarios) was to be conducted online via Microsoft Teams. However, we were told a while back not to log into Teams until the situation is resolved. 

15 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Just found but haven’t yet digested this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/973239/The_returns_to_undergraduate_degrees_by_socio-economic_group_and_ethnicity.pdf

p29 has a (really badly drawn) diagram that shows the different subject choice by socio economic status. It does show that the two subjects I guessed at are very slightly biased towards more public school kids, although languages, history and medicine are more so (still not by huge amounts though).

The exec summary says that besides independent schooling, socioeconomic status has little impact on outcomes.

I think the word “besides” is working pretty hard there. You could say that besides the fatalities, beheadings are safe. 

Ethnicity appears a more significant variable though, which is intriguing.

I'm struggling to conclude much from that, beyond how 'other' the non-state sector is.

The information there is also likely to be rather out of date now.

19 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

A lot of the uni online systems are affected and the simulated practice (which involves groupwork and discussion relating to scenarios) was to be conducted online via Microsoft Teams. However, we were told a while back not to log into Teams until the situation is resolved. 

Shame you couldn’t have just used Zoom…

12 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

General, enjoy your research essay! 
I don’t understand how students can access aula but lecturers can’t?

12 hours ago, mathematics said:

We got our final assessment results last Monday. However, not everyone got them and we’ve been told that they’re not confirmed as they haven’t been moderated yet. As third years we’ve been told that as long as things are sorted for the board in august then our graduation/getting our pin shouldn’t be delayed. 

7 hours ago, olliethedug said:

We got our final assessment results last Monday. However, not everyone got them and we’ve been told that they’re not confirmed as they haven’t been moderated yet. As third years we’ve been told that as long as things are sorted for the board in august then our graduation/getting our pin shouldn’t be delayed. 

What a mess.