Who's Going To Uni?

On 22/08/2022 at 15:24, Jacksgranda said:

19 year old granddaughter is off to Wales on 26th August, but can't get into her Halls of Residence until 1st September.

Good lord, you’re actually a grandad? I thought you were just being quirky.

Jack’s a funny name for a girl, mind you. 

20 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Good lord, you’re actually a grandad? I thought you were just being quirky.

Jack’s a funny name for a girl, mind you. 

One of the other grandchildren is called Jacqueline...

On 22/08/2022 at 17:00, scottsdad said:

Got a couple of Open Days booked to take Scott to next month. Dundee and Napier. Edinburgh College of Art is online only.  Will probably add one or two more in October also. 

Any Dundee, ECA or Napier students/graduates with any insight? Good places or not so good to be a student? 

My niece loved being at Dundee. 

I did my MSc at Napier and loved it, though I was based at Craiglockhart.

Was a much better experience than my honours at Aberdeen Uni..

9 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I did my MSc at Napier and loved it, though I was based at Craiglockhart.

Was a much better experience than my honours at Aberdeen Uni..

He is interested in doing graphic design which is based at the Merchiston campus. I have been there before (a few years ago now) and from what I remember, parking nearby was a real pain. That probably isn't foremost in his mind when choosing where to go. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

He is interested in doing graphic design which is based at the Merchiston campus. I have been there before (a few years ago now) and from what I remember, parking nearby was a real pain. That probably isn't foremost in his mind when choosing where to go. 

I wouldn't drive if I was going to Merchiston personally. There are loads of buses and lots of the students cycle and there is loads of bike parking available on campus. 

But Merchiston is a brilliant location, its in a very well to do part of Edinburgh just next to Morningside and the Grange and George Watsons College, another of Edinburgh's well known private schools.

More importantly for the students there's lots of pubs and places to eat nearby as well as takeaways and supermarkets. 

Edited by AndyM

4 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I wouldn't drive if I was going to Merchiston personally. There are loads of buses and lots of the students cycle and there is loads of bike parking available on campus. 

But Merchiston is a brilliant location, its in a very well to do part of Edinburgh just next to Morningside and the Grange and George Watsons College, another of Edinburgh's well known private schools.

More importantly for the students there's lots of pubs and places to eat nearby as well as takeaways and supermarkets. 

Cheers,

I was thinking for the open day, either driving and parking nearby or getting the park and ride from Heriot-Watt's bus station. 

If Scott goes there (and he is still thinking) then he'll likely stay at home and take the bus in every day. He gets free bus travel with his Young Scot card.

28 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

We are off to Glasgow Uni this morning for the open day for my son.

Lovely day to be in the West End !

Will be get a Season Ticket for Firhill with his matriculation card?

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

Thankfully not interested in football - more likely a season ticket to somewhere like The Garage !

Writing this from an uber trendy wee cafe in the west end..............think I am the only Scottish person here apart from the guy serving - full of yanks and english !

I found out today that our Central Admissions Team (apparently on instruction from the Faculty) have rejected an applicant for our MSc on the basis they have not met the requirement of averaging 80% in their (Chinese) undergraduate degree, claiming that it calculates to 79.997%. Instead, they have advised that they apply for an MSc in a different subject from that of their UG degree.

Even better, in their initial rejection email our Admissions Team claimed the average was 79.9%.

This has all happened without any input from the Department; naturally, we only became aware of this when the student got in touch to complain, having been unable to get through to the Admissions department.

1 hour ago, EvilScotsman said:

I found out today that our Central Admissions Team (apparently on instruction from the Faculty) have rejected an applicant for our MSc on the basis they have not met the requirement of averaging 80% in their (Chinese) undergraduate degree, claiming that it calculates to 79.997%. Instead, they have advised that they apply for an MSc in a different subject from that of their UG degree.

Even better, in their initial rejection email our Admissions Team claimed the average was 79.9%.

This has all happened without any input from the Department; naturally, we only became aware of this when the student got in touch to complain, having been unable to get through to the Admissions department.

We centralised admissions a few years back and have the opposite problem. They let anyone with a pulse in to do the MSc and just ignore entry requirements.

4 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Is it too cynical to suggest MSc stands for Money - sacred cow?

I'm certain this is it. At around £14k a skull, the admissions team think only of the cash and leave folk like me to pick up the pieces when we have students who wouldn't even pass our first year at undergraduate.