Who's Going To Uni?

It's up to you, I was, possibly still am, a fairly lazy b*****d. If you think you can get away with two, by all means do two. I enjoy Stirling very much, and History is well taught and imo taught to a good standard. As for the suicide rate, I am sure it is just one of these rumors which does the rounds, although a guy on the floor above me in 1st year did hang himself... I hope I have not put you off. Most people at Stirling seem to love it. I highly recommend it.

Yeah I was seriously considering it because my brother played a football tourny up there about 9 months ago and said the sports fauclities were excellent. He also commented on the buildings being very mordern...not that, that matters too much :lol:

Thanks a lot for your help guys, really helped me :D Be sure to put my name down as "owes me a pint"....though you will need to wait a little while, whilst I become 18 :lol::P

I would suspect I would study it at the main campus. In all honesty I haven't looked into where exactly I can study, I have always just thought I would go to the main campus. Where would you recomemd? I would love to be lectured by a main author. I recently read a historic book on the 1st Crusade and I have always thought it would be great to ask this guy lots of questions.

If you are looking to do Scottish History look up Richard Oram, he is published and along with Alastair Mann is a fantastic lecturer. The lecturers in the other history cources are also generally very good.

Guest Dunc?
It's up to you, I was, possibly still am, a fairly lazy b*****d. If you think you can get away with two, by all means do two. I enjoy Stirling very much, and History is well taught and imo taught to a good standard. As for the suicide rate, I am sure it is just one of these rumors which does the rounds, although a guy on the floor above me in 1st year did hang himself... I hope I have not put you off. Most people at Stirling seem to love it. I highly recommend it.

I don't think any first years killed themselves last year. What a disappointment :(

I would suspect I would study it at the main campus. In all honesty I haven't looked into where exactly I can study, I have always just thought I would go to the main campus. Where would you recomemd? I would love to be lectured by a main author. I recently read a historic book on the 1st Crusade and I have always thought it would be great to ask this guy lots of questions.

I meant which university :) Was looking at enigmas post there and he seemed to say a couple of the scottish history professors are publish at stirling so thats always good. It is great you can ask question but it does mean plagirism is clearly going to be punished, I always thought it was difficult to disagree with them as well. If you want a background read on Scottish History, Michael Lynch's Scotland: A New History is the bible even is its not exactly a "light" read. Tim Divines "The Scottish Nation" is also a good book for more modern scotland (1700-) and is an excellent read for a history book. If its medival your after GWS barrow or Michael Brown (who lectured me!) is what your after.

I meant which university :) Was looking at enigmas post there and he seemed to say a couple of the scottish history professors are publish at stirling so thats always good. It is great you can ask question but it does mean plagirism is clearly going to be punished, I always thought it was difficult to disagree with them as well. If you want a background read on Scottish History, Michael Lynch's Scotland: A New History is the bible even is its not exactly a "light" read. Tim Divines "The Scottish Nation" is also a good book for more modern scotland (1700-) and is an excellent read for a history book. If its medival your after GWS barrow or Michael Brown (who lectured me!) is what your after.

Aw, sorry man. Its too late at night! I orginally wanted to go to edinburgh uni, but that seems a long shot now. However after a little look around and peoples comments on this, Stirling looks likee a good desitation. I have heard some of Barrow B) I used the majority of his quotes for my scottish essay in my exam. He is very good. Thanks for the tips, will be sure to look them up next time I am in a book store. :D

Aw, sorry man. Its too late at night! I orginally wanted to go to edinburgh uni, but that seems a long shot now. However after a little look around and peoples comments on this, Stirling looks likee a good desitation. I have heard some of Barrow B) I used the majority of his quotes for my scottish essay in my exam. He is very good. Thanks for the tips, will be sure to look them up next time I am in a book store. :D

Barrow was a fantastic resource for Advanced Higher History. Caroline Bingham, Fiona Watson, Michael Penman and Amanda Beam are also good historical analyses of that period. You'll find a lot of tension between what Bingham and Watson/Penman argue if ever you're looking for places of historical debate in a Uni course.

If its medival your after GWS barrow or Michael Brown (who lectured me!) is what your after.

I came across Michael Brown's work by chance on Google books. It was very useful for my dissertation, as it happens. I was glad to find another book other than Barrow on it as going through indices is really tedious and it does it for you :P.

Barrow was a fantastic resource for Advanced Higher History. Caroline Bingham, Fiona Watson, Michael Penman and Amanda Beam are also good historical analyses of that period. You'll find a lot of tension between what Bingham and Watson/Penman argue if ever you're looking for places of historical debate in a Uni course.

Is also a lecturer at Stirling ;)

Question for people going to uni.

I've just finished paying off my £650 downpayment for staying in halls at Glasgow Caley this year. I asked them what the money was for and they said I paid this at the start of the year and it came off the rent after that each payment. Do people at other uni's do this as well, and if not does any Glasgow Caley student's know if I genuinely will be roughly £60 to the good each month or is this just a complete rip-off?

Cheers.

Yeh thats how it worked when I was at Caley, where you paid every month.

I think you can pay it all off at once for cheaper I think.

If you end up in block Nairn, flat 3/2, room 5 - that'll be my old room. You can't see it but there's tears in my eyes writing this.....

Yeh thats how it worked when I was at Caley, where you paid every month.

I think you can pay it all off at once for cheaper I think.

If you end up in block Nairn, flat 3/2, room 5 - that'll be my old room. You can't see it but there's tears in my eyes writing this.....

How strict are Caley for letting "outsiders" in?

Dont think im getting into accommodation at Strathclyde because I live too close "as the crow flies". Now that would be all fine and well if i was a crow, but the cut off is 25 miles and by road, I live quite a bit further than 25 miles away.

I'm being pedantic here but I desperatel wanted to get into the halls, i dont think the whole experience of student life will be the same if I dont IMO.

Looking for some advice. I really fucked up my exam results. Got BCCCF (one of the C's is an int2). I was hoping to get all B's. I want to study business and history. This year I am doing adv. History. But I am undeceided whether to do 4highers again this year or 3 highers and continue doing advance history. My history teacher says it is really useful when you go to uni, but if i want to do business as well should i drop it. Major deceision :(

Most good uni's want 4 straight B's for history and business.

I took Advance Higher Chemistry before doing 1st year uni Chemistry and there were a lot of similarities and it did help but I would say that getting what you need to get into uni should be your priority next year. And if not taking Advanced Higher History will help get the other Highers, I'd drop it.

If you really want to be prepared for you go, do a bit of reading in your spare time. Uni's not as tough as some people imagine it. I got better results at uni than I did at school.

Enigma - I'll be starting History with Politics & Professional Education in September at Stirling. What's the History like? I picked my modules last night, went for Britain between 1780 and 1914.

Got a B at AH, so I'm hoping 1st year is reasonably similar to that...

I don't think you should give out that information on the internet, considering some of the people kicking about PnB ;)

My brother stayed there last year. It's not bad, simple but does the job.

Too late... :ph34r: