Who's Going To Uni?

I didn't go and see any universities before I decided to go to Glasgow.

I certainly wouldn't have taken my parents with me had I though. I was too independent.

Why's that then? :huh:

Precisely.

My dad came to look at all three Universities I was considering going to with me. Apart from anything else I had no other means of actually getting to the place other than him taking me but even if I had where's the problem?

Because it never crossed my mind that I should take my parents and as far as I know none of my friends took their parents. I expceted a few to have their parents with them but not nearly everyone that was there.

I went around Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Strathclyde on their Engineering open days and never had my parents there. I just got the Citylink to these places and back but if it was somewhere like England where it's the parents forking out a few thousand pounds each year then I could understand the will for them to come along.

In Scotland however, if you're big and bad enough to go to uni by yourself for three to four years then you should be able to get there and have a look around by yourself without someone in your ear or you feeling pressured to ask the 'right' questions just because your parents are there. If anything, I'd probably be more likely just to shut up and ask less if mine were there.

I thought the same thing when I saw all the parents walking about. Looking back on it, I think my mum rathered I went to Strathclyde rather than Aberdeen (my eventual choice) so that one decision to go by myself could have changed my life path :o

When do the schools get their results through?

Just checked UCAS and my Caley offer has changed from a conditional to an unconditional, I presume that means I'm in then.

When do the schools get their results through?

I think it's the day before you do, but 'normal teachers' are not allowed to see them until you do if you know what I mean? Is it the 15th you get them this year?

I think it's the day before you do, but 'normal teachers' are not allowed to see them until you do if you know what I mean? Is it the 15th you get them this year?

Normal teachers? Non-Senior Management Staff?

15th sounds quite late. I thought it was the 5th.

I thought it was the 5th as well for Standard Grades and Highers.

Guest maxwell5

I went to open days at Stirling, Glasgow and Scumdee, what a total piss take. In particular the Glasgow open day, me and my mates just used it as an excuse to go for a look about the city, didn't actually go anywhere near the campus.

Well done Einstein. ;)

Yeah, 5th does sound about right, actually. I thought 15th was a bit late, since schools (up here anyway) go back on the 18th or something.

Well done Einstein. ;)

The reason I was confused is because last year our subject teachers knew the day before our results.

Yeah, 5th does sound about right, actually. I thought 15th was a bit late, since schools (up here anyway) go back on the 18th or something.

It's usually around the 5th. I checked and it is the 5th.

I went to open days at Stirling, Glasgow and Scumdee, what a total piss take. In particular the Glasgow open day, me and my mates just used it as an excuse to go for a look about the city, didn't actually go anywhere near the campus.

:huh:

Why? You could surely go to Glasgow any time you liked if that's what you really wanted to do.

People who take their parents to these things with them are just weird.

I dunno. I didn't take mine, and in some ways it would have been better if I had. For example, they might have had the nouse to work out I was going to spend my first year at Riccarton, and not in the centre of Edinburgh. :D