Who's Going To Uni?

• 1 month later...

Casual MyCampus meltdown.

It had a lot to live up to after not failing on exam day - surely a first in the history of the university? Certainly in my time there, crash on exam days was the only guarantee you had.

It's not affected me yet but given time difference I am facing a 6am wake up to get on - and even then there is the near certainty it will be postponed again - and that will give another day for someone else in the hostel room to shank me for waking everyone up. Some girl from politics actually delayed her flight because of the last deadline laugh.giflaugh.gif

Oh and Ad Lib is trolling the twitter feed. Sadly no "competence holocaust" yet.

Oh I guess I should register for next year about now, though last time I checked I'm currently not allowed to as I haven't provided the University with some receipt of payment from a few months ago.

Ah received an Email saying that tutorial times haven't been decided yet anyway so no rush. Should definitely sort this out in the next couple of weeks though I guess.

Edited by jmothecat

Just out of interest, in what form does your uni give your exam / assessment marks? I'm noticing a bunch of different things throughout the thread which might not mean anything to those without Glasgow for example.

When I was at Aberdeen, you got a mark out of 20 for each piece of work / exam while related to the following expectations.

9 - 11: Third

12-14: Desmond

15-17: Upper Second

18-20: 1st Class

Most of mine were a combo of 17s and 18s but I got a 17 in my last main project (20 credits) which made me finish with an average of 17 throughout the degree which sucked at the time. So much difference in effort between finishing on a 17 and a 15, yet both finish with a 2:1. sad.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just out of interest, in what form does your uni give your exam / assessment marks? I'm noticing a bunch of different things throughout the thread which might not mean anything to those without Glasgow for example.

When I was at Aberdeen, you got a mark out of 20 for each piece of work / exam while related to the following expectations.

9 - 11: Pass

12-14: Desmond

15-17: Upper Second

18-20: 1st Class

Stirling was / is:

First: 1A, 1B, 1C

Upper Second: 2A, 2B, 2C

Lower Second: 2D, 2E, 2F

Third: 3A, 3B, 3C

Narrow Fail: 4A, 4B, 4C

Fail: 5A, 5B, 5C

Stirling was / is:

First: 1A, 1B, 1C

Upper Second: 2A, 2B, 2C

Lower Second: 2D, 2E, 2F

Third: 3A, 3B, 3C

Narrow Fail: 4A, 4B, 4C

Fail: 5A, 5B, 5C

Pretty much the same method then, just that 1A, 1B and 1C equates to 20, 19, 18 and so on...

History at Strathclyde technically grades from 0-100, but the realistic bands are from 30-85. The outright fail is <40, Third is 40-50, Lower Second 50-60, Upper Second 60-70, First 70<.

It is pretty much impossible to get more than 80 in either exams or essays, but if you got full marks for a presentation or similar, you can certainly get 85 for that section of assessment.

Glasgow is, erm, fucked up. 22 point scale.

A1-5 (22-18) (First)

B1-3 (17-15) (Upper Second)

C1-3 (14-12) (Lower Second)

D1-3 (11-9) (Third/Pass)

E1-3 (8-6)

F1-3 (5-3)

G1-2 (2-1)

H (0)

But we are told it is NOT convertible into percentages, and the percentage you need to get in any given paper (if it uses "marks") won't necessarily be a direct conversion. So whilst you need 18 out of 22 to get a 1st, that doesn't necessarily mean that you need 81% in a paper (though it might do).

It's an unnecessary mind-f**k.

Got a letter today from SAAS saying they are paying Stirling Unversity the fee for the course I am sitting. Anybody else had this? Im assuming then that I have been accepted even though I haven't received my results yet.

What status are you in? (5th/6th year, college, already in Uni going into the next year type thing).

I have got my SAAS letter for next year despite having resits next week.

People who have stayed in halls, can I ask roughly how much you spent in a year? Not including the price of the accommodation.

A friend of mine claims he spent nearly £7K last year. But he did drugs and shit.

A friend of mine claims he spent nearly £7K last year. But he did drugs and shit.

One of my mates was in 5K of debt after 2 years, that's after spunking his wages from his job and SAAS. He was big into drink, drugs and gambling though.

Nice one. My £500 savings and £900 from SAAS(c***s, absolute c***s btw. what the the actual f**k am I supposed to do with that piddly amount of money?) see me through. Easy living n' that.

Nice one. My £500 savings and £900 from SAAS(c***s, absolute c***s btw. what the the actual f**k am I supposed to do with that piddly amount of money?) see me through. Easy living n' that.

£900 for the year? Pretty sure you can appeal it, especially if you are living away from your parents house.

SAAS and the SLC seem to be throwing money at me this year. Not going to turn it down right enough!

Will be applying to uni around christmas time for 2013 (Just going into S6). Initially thought I wanted a degree in maths but not entirely sure what I'd do with it (Toyed with the idea of maths teacher). I also quite like the sound of mechanical engineering but was wondering whether it was quite practical focussed and looked at figures/formulas etc or was more graph comm orientated with detailed drawings etc. Sorry if this sounds completely clueless, just wondered if ayone on here was doing any of the above degrees and could offer some advice. I went to one of the open days at Edinburgh Uni but this hasn't helped at all in me making some sort of decision dry.gif