Who's Going To Uni?

Saas have said that they will pay £1820 to my Uni for tuition fees.

Surely this is bullshit?

Why? This is the case for everyone studying in Scotland, as far as I am aware.

Will that be the full extent of my tuition fees though? Seems like very little

What you doing next year VT? Just curious, not looking for an exam mark cock measuring contest.

I'm waiting on a funding decision for a PhD. If unsuccessful, it will be a year out and a wider range of applications for the following year.

Will that be the full extent of my tuition fees though? Seems like very little

No, fairly sure that's the standard for tuition fees. It's been the same throughout my first three years anyway.

EDIT: I'm being nosy too VT. What do you wish to do at the end of it all, presuming you are working for three years on a PhD starting in September?

Edited by Adam

I'm waiting on a funding decision for a PhD. If unsuccessful, it will be a year out and a wider range of applications for the following year.

If you're planning to study over here, have you applied for a Carnegie scholarship?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest honestrae95

Finished my final SQA exam, Advanced Higher Geography. It was a complete and utter gift of a paper, pity it's only worth 30% of the final grade. Hopefully my two dissertations are good enough for an A. :)

Finished my final SQA exam, Advanced Higher Geography. It was a complete and utter gift of a paper, pity it's only worth 30% of the final grade. Hopefully my two dissertations are good enough for an A. :)

It was absolutely brilliant. Genuinely couldn't have written a better paper if I'd tried.

It's worth 40%, the issues essay and field study are worth 30% each.

Guest honestrae95

It was absolutely brilliant. Genuinely couldn't have written a better paper if I'd tried.

It's worth 40%, the issues essay and field study are worth 30% each.

Same here- mapping was jizz worthy, Spearman Rank also jizz worthy and I did a River Study for my fieldwork project.

I've looked up my handbook and it says the fieldwork project is worth 40%, the study 30% and the exam 30%. Maybe it's a typo, but I was sure the exam was only 30.

What did you do your 2 projects on?

I'm a Geography teacher. If I've got the percentages wrong I've been peddling duff info to pupils for a couple of years. :lol:

The mapwork question was as straightforward as it was going to get. I thought it was particularly well explained as to what factors to consider. I remember a few years back the question was about the placement of a sewage works/dump and although if you're doing AH, you've got to be semi competent, but you still had to have some 'background' knowledge as to what the specific location factors would be.

The spearman's rank question was also a gift. Of all the potential stats questions, that's definitely the easiest.

As all my class did river studies, the final question was ideal too. From speaking to them, I don't think they answered it as well as they could have because they over thought it, but their answers should still be decent enough.

EDIT - For the last question, which two measurements did you choose?

Edited by Fudge

I'm a Geography teacher. If I've got the percentages wrong I've been peddling duff info to pupils for a couple of years. :lol:

The mapwork question was as straightforward as it was going to get. I thought it was particularly well explained as to what factors to consider. I remember a few years back the question was about the placement of a sewage works/dump and although if you're doing AH, you've got to be semi competent, but you still had to have some 'background' knowledge as to what the specific location factors would be.

The spearman's rank question was also a gift. Of all the potential stats questions, that's definitely the easiest.

As all my class did river studies, the final question was ideal too. From speaking to them, I don't think they answered it as well as they could have because they over thought it, but their answers should still be decent enough.

Almost certain the exam is 30% hahahaha! I wasn't as struck on Question 1 as you guys are..spent a wee while thinking where to put it..ended up just south of the reservoir! Spearman's rank and river questions were decent though! Will probably only get a B because my essay was cack.

Almost certain the exam is 30% hahahaha! I wasn't as struck on Question 1 as you guys are..spent a wee while thinking where to put it..ended up just south of the reservoir! Spearman's rank and river questions were decent though! Will probably only get a B because my essay was cack.

I never actually got a chance to see the map. As long as your choice of site is reasonable, the marks are all in your justification.

The issues essay and field study are almost impossible to predict grade wise. I've seen some good ones do much worse than expected and some pooer ones get B's. I genuinely don't think anyone actually has a clue how to mark them.

Guest honestrae95

Haha I thought you were my age, never mind!

I did velocity and river depth for the last one and then said Spearman Rank could be used in the C part of that question.

Mapping was brilliant, I placed my area just East of Llandoiles or however the feck you spell it.

I got an A in my prelim and am predicted an A with my two projects. However as you said, it's a bit of a lottery as to what marker you get and whether or not they think your stuffs good or not.

Apparently my results are out tomorrow, well I never. :lol:

On another note, anyone ever have to talk to the external examiners. I got a call from my course leader saying he wants someone to talk to them about the course. Mind you I don't even know if I'll make it, since I've been cited for bloody jury duty. Still he said its only an hour long an there refreshments after it.

Apparently my results are out tomorrow, well I never. :lol:

On another note, anyone ever have to talk to the external examiners. I got a call from my course leader saying he wants someone to talk to them about the course. Mind you I don't even know if I'll make it, since I've been cited for bloody jury duty. Still he said its only an hour long an there refreshments after it.

You're at Napier as well, aye? I didn't think our results were out for at least another week. :huh:

You're at Napier as well, aye? I didn't think our results were out for at least another week. :huh:

Yeah, they've changed it on the exam page. It was saying 11th of June I think. Obviously got it done quicker. Or that's what I read it as.

Yeah, they've changed it on the exam page. It was saying 11th of June I think. Obviously got it done quicker. Or that's what I read it as.

I thought it was the 11th of June as well.

Aaaah f**k, at times like this I wish I'd bothered to turn up to class and do a bit of revision. Out of the 60 possible tutorials/lectures, I think I went to about 7 or 8. Had an online test for one module worth 10% of the overall grade, but I forgot to sit in the given time limit. I also turned up for an exam 5 minutes late, but they still let me in. Nutters.

I got a 2:1, pretty happy with that but would be interested to know how close I was to a first as I had felt it was achievable.

It doesn't make much difference though - I'm into the PGDE and that's the important thing.

Is that secondary school level music you're looking to teach?

I've been considering going on to teach chemistry and thought about using this year (graduate in the summer) to earn some money whilst doing wee voluntary shadow work here and there.

What sort and how much experience did you accumulate before applying? Any advice?

Edited by JogaBonito