Who's Going To Uni?

Email SAAS and check. I got my last one in April or May. But I know for a fact it was the last one. Maybe your mate is just an isolated case. Can't wait until August though. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Email SAAS and check. I got my last one in April or May. But I know for a fact it was the last one. Maybe your mate is just an isolated case. Can't wait until August though. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

In the process of doing so. Hopefully I can be an isolated case as I'm el skinto.

Whatdid you do it on?

And what's your plan now?

Congratulations anyway!

Broadly, the relationship between Scots Law and Scotland's Presbyterian churches in historical and contemporary perspective. Bits of legal theory, constitutional law, legal history, institutional analysis of schisms (old and recent) and unions, an analysis of the future direction of that relationship in the context of possible independence etc. Written five years ago, it would have been pretty arcane and dull but I certainly hope it proved a lot more interesting and pertinent given both the current constitutional predicament and a lot of internal developments particularly internally within the Church of Scotland.

Plan going forward... watch this space. Worst case scenario I ought to be doing the Diploma in Legal Practice at Glasgow next year. Let's just say there are other avenues that might yet present themselves but nothing concrete yet.

Passed my 4 Law exams this semester with 3 Bs and a D. Not the best tbh but got an A in Business and am planning to sack Law for Honours. I've been accepted for an exchange to McGill in Montreal next year so that should be decent. Not a bad state of affairs.

That moment when you've just graduated and you're in the quad and a Professor comes up to you and tells you on the sly that you've been awarded a 3-year stipendiary scholarship to do a PhD in Public Law at Glasgow Uni starting from September. Yeah. That. :D

That moment when you've just graduated and you're in the quad and a Professor comes up to you and tells you on the sly that you've been awarded a 3-year stipendiary scholarship to do a PhD in Public Law at Glasgow Uni starting from September. Yeah. That. :D

You'll hate it, in the end.

:lol: This is a thing you and xbl have going, isn't it? :P

Yeah, but he at least get's called doctor these days. I'm still doing my write up after hours from my work. It may just be me, certainly by disposition I prefer the faster pace of industry and actually being able to do things properly. I also think I get to do more innovative engineering than I ever did during my PHd, again, probably just blessed by the fact that my two jobs I've had in the semiconductor industry have been at decent leading edge companies. I am definitely more of an engineer than a pure scientist anyway.

You, you'll probably love it. I imagine the verbosity of a law PHd is fairly awesome - my missus is a corporate lawyer, so I sometimes get an insight to the wonderful world of regulations, contracts and the like, but a PHd, f**k me that'd be a masterclass in obfuscation and abuse of the English language.

No doubt it'll modfy the way you post here. Your posts will need a fucking index...... :P

Yeah, but he at least get's called doctor these days. I'm still doing my write up after hours from my work. It may just be me, certainly by disposition I prefer the faster pace of industry and actually being able to do things properly. I also think I get to do more innovative engineering than I ever did during my PHd, again, probably just blessed by the fact that my two jobs I've had in the semiconductor industry have been at decent leading edge companies. I am definitely more of an engineer than a pure scientist anyway.

You, you'll probably love it. I imagine the verbosity of a law PHd is fairly awesome - my missus is a corporate lawyer, so I sometimes get an insight to the wonderful world of regulations, contracts and the like, but a PHd, f**k me that'd be a masterclass in obfuscation and abuse of the English language.

No doubt it'll modfy the way you post here. Your posts will need a fucking index...... :P

:lol:

I guess the challenge is very different for law even than other arts/social science-type subjects, and again further removed from science and engineering. Whereas the latter is probably a lot about new data, inventions, adaptations etc, law is a lot more about critical assessment of written materials. My thesis proposal essentially hones in on the procedural aspects of how self-determination is facilitated within the UK constitution and whether that should change (questions like what role should the courts have, who should be allowed to have referendums, should it be different for different constituent nations or would a common framework be better etc).

It should be a lot of fun. There are teaching opportunities in level 1 and 2 public law courses so I'll be doing a bit of that too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump.

I have a question regarding accommodation: Can I apply for this now or should I wait until I find out if I've met my conditional offer? The one I wanted to apply for is fully booked so I don't want to leave it too late. How do I go about it?

It's Stirling I'm talking about, if that makes any difference.

It was six years ago now ( :( ) but I was a conditional for Stirling and I got all the information regarding applying for student accommodation pretty rapidly after I met my conditions. I wouldn't worry.

Ye gods, the next generation of depressed PhD students, Ad Lib and VT. You'll hate it. It can be a truly miserable thing to endure.

ONe is doing a PhD in law, the other in history. Both are lovers of gigantic tracts of prose, the verbosity and pedantic nature of a law PhD in particular will warm the cockles of Ad Lib's heart. They'll be fine. It's just us poor engineers trying to innovate the future with two lengths of sticky tape and a multi channel oscilloscope (with only one working channel) who feel hard done by in the PhD stakes. :P