Who's Going To Uni?

One more exam and that's me finished 2nd year. Passed first year with distinction and on route to pass 2nd year with distinction with a current grade haul of 9 A's and 3 B's. Let's hope I can do the business in 3rd and 4th year.

This is a serious question btw, not being a an arsehole, is Psychology your main subject? I've just done my last (hopefully) exam in Psychology and can drop it next year and focus on business for honours.

Last exam ever this morning, got two perfect questions so I breezed through it.

Guy in my seminar turned up forty-five minutes late, as his train was late. Can't trust public transport at the best of times, but still felt sorry for him.

This is a serious question btw, not being a an arsehole, is Psychology your main subject? I've just done my last (hopefully) exam in Psychology and can drop it next year and focus on business for honours.

Yup, Psychology is my degree programme. What was the exam on?

It was on the Statistics and Research Methods part of the course, was actually easier than I expected because I'm usually terrible at mathematical stuff.

I'm absolutely the same. When it comes to stats and the like I'm fucking hopeless doing it by hand. Luckily SPSS does all that stuff for you and you just really need to learn what output corresponds to certain tests and things like that.

Thankfully, 50% of the Research Methods module is made up of 3 pieces of coursework, all of which I've got A's on so I just really need to turn up to the exam to get a good grade overall. Glad it went well for you!

Last exam ever this morning, got two perfect questions so I breezed through it.

Guy in my seminar turned up forty-five minutes late, as his train was late. Can't trust public transport at the best of times, but still felt sorry for him.

I used to leave myself a couple of hours to spare when I was getting the train in for exams. If there was any sort of delay then I could usually still make it on time, and if there wasn't a problem then I had some last minute studying time.

Finished my 2nd and final exam for the semester today. Utterly horrifying. Absolute guaranteed fail, hope my coursework can pull me up to a pass but I doubt that.

Exam yesterday was a piece of piss so not too concerned about that in all honesty.

Can't believe that's me finished my 1st year at Uni :o. I'm loving the lifestyle and met a few brilliant folk, but I haven't managed to juggle it with actually doing the work, if I've gotten away with it this year I'll seriously need to get the finger out next semester. I was actually embarrassed this morning in that exam. Felt utterly disgusting staying up all night trying to cram a full module in a few hours then knowing absolutely f**k all when it mattered.

You do Politics at Stirling don't you? That was my degree, are the exams still three essasys in 2-3 hours? I used to quite enjoy some of the exams to be honest. I used to try and discipline myself to stick to an hour to each question but on a few occasions I got a question I liked and got carried away. I really was/am a sad b*****d.

The only piece of advice I'd give is do your dissertation, when it comes, on something you enjoy and are actively interested in. When I came to decide mine I had a choice between two - one was to be an expanded version of an essay I'd done called 'The Islamic Threat: Myth or Reality?' and the other was a comparitive analysis of the committee systems of the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament. I decided to do the latter because I had the Scottish Parliament on my doorstep, I'd have Dr Lynch as my supervisor who was an expert on teh subject and, remarkably looking back, I thought it'd be good for getting a job in policy/poltics when I graduated. All valid reasons but the subject just didn't grab me and I got bored and distracted and didn't do a good job at all. I laugh about it now but at the time I really let myself down, and my supervisor as well - I basically left things to teh last minute, didn't do proper drafts and ended up writing it up in the final weekend. The weekend going into handing it in was probably the worst, most stressful thing I've done in my life, I made myself significantly ill doing it.

What I should've done is picked something that I was interested in and that I could really immerse myself in, which, at the time, the Islamic threat question would've been. I tried to be a bit too grown up and set myself up for some godawful job in 'civic Scotland' and almost fucked up my degree.

Guest honestrae95

Got my last exam today at 2, Constitutional Law. I've put a lot of work into it, so hopefully I'll get some questions that aren't too tricky. Had Obligations on Monday and literally every question I didn't want to come up, was there. Think I'll be lucky to pass, if I'm honest. Can't wait to come out of this exam at 5 and have a few drinks.

Anyone else have an exam and just get awful luck with the questions?

I'm absolutely the same. When it comes to stats and the like I'm fucking hopeless doing it by hand. Luckily SPSS does all that stuff for you and you just really need to learn what output corresponds to certain tests and things like that.

Thankfully, 50% of the Research Methods module is made up of 3 pieces of coursework, all of which I've got A's on so I just really need to turn up to the exam to get a good grade overall. Glad it went well for you!

Yeah at Glasgow the Stats/Research Methods part is just 10% of in class tests, a 20% lab report and a 10% exam so you can basically pass it just by doing the easy tests and exam well enough and get an average grade in the lab report which is a bit harder.

In my last semester for my Psychology 2A Paper 1 it was 4 essays, in 4 sections which all had 4 choices of question. So I looked through all the past papers and found questions that seemed to appear loads and, after briefly going over the whole course, focused on strong essay plans on about 3 questions for each section. 1 of them Had to come up in each section surely?

No. 0 came up. Literally none of the ones I'd studied in detail. Basically just wrote down any old shite I remembered for the questions they'd given that I remembered tiny bits about and tried to bluff my way through but I could tell my answers were a joke. For one essay I'd written just less than a SINGLE PAGE. Was all set to resit in August - got a B3. No idea how but I'm not questioning it.

Pleasing.

Had this in my Accounts exam on Tuesday. It's split into two questions worth 40% each and one question worth 20%. It's anyone's guess what the 20% one could be but the two 40% ones were always the same in past papers, class tests and tutorial exercises just with different numbers. This year they decided to change one entirely to a question that had never come up before and, consequently, one that hardly anyone had studied for. Didn't know how to answer it, costing me and quite a few others 28% of the overall grade.

Should still pass barring a disaster in my other answers but yeah, that was pretty brutal.

Edited by Meathead

I'd say ditching lectures is a bit extreme. It's really all down to the lecturer themselves and how the students participate. If you don't want to go to the lecture and rely on reading the PowerPoint presentation from home then go ahead, but usually the lecturer will add to what's in his/hers notes with information that's pretty crucial.

Lecturers have to be good at presenting the information; countless times I've seen lecture slides with absolutely abhorrent colour schemes such as black/yellow and yellow/red and it's just not nice to read.

Lectures are a two way thing; the student has to engage, and any student that doesn't know how to take notes needs to look at themselves. It's a pretty crucial skill to have in life. The lecturer has to make it interesting for the student, and make the information easy to digest.

I had my last exam of the year today, which I was pretty stressed about as it had a strange short answer/essay format. I got pretty lucky with the questions and for once I managed my time well and finished writing with about thirty seconds to spare. Pleasing.

I'd say ditching lectures is a bit extreme. It's really all down to the lecturer themselves and how the students participate. If you don't want to go to the lecture and rely on reading the PowerPoint presentation from home then go ahead, but usually the lecturer will add to what's in his/hers notes with information that's pretty crucial.

Lecturers have to be good at presenting the information; countless times I've seen lecture slides with absolutely abhorrent colour schemes such as black/yellow and yellow/red and it's just not nice to read.

Lectures are a two way thing; the student has to engage, and any student that doesn't know how to take notes needs to look at themselves. It's a pretty crucial skill to have in life. The lecturer has to make it interesting for the student, and make the information easy to digest.

Agreed. I would actually prefer to go to lectures given the choice again as we had some decent interaction with the lecturer, plus you didn't want to let your concentration down as you'd typically be the one getting picked on to answer a question if you did.

There's no point however if the lecturer is reading from a script though, although when I had this for some courses during my first year, the lecturer would stay behind a little in case you had any specific questions on that particular topic (he'd be busy otherwise and let's be honest, they don't have as much time for folk from a different discipline only there to get additional credits during their own time).

I also found having a set routine of lectures at certain times good for self discipline and making sure I'd treat each subject equally rather than putting off the less interesting topics if it was up to myself to study them whenever.

It was also good to be around class-mates as well as we could chat amongst ourselves over certain things when we were all in the same place at once, not scattered about town watching a recorded lecture still not up and dressed at 2pm.

Eta: Is there any evidence anywhere showing that Open University students generally perform better than those that go to lecturers on a daily basis? Of course, there's the whole argument of "Open Uni students tend to be older and more serious than those straight out of high school" etc etc.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Lectures are pointless. Out of my course of around 60 there's only about 10 bed-wetters that turn up for them. Don't see the point in wasting an hour travelling to uni and back each day just to sit and take absolutely f**k all in.

Anyway, got 2 exams out of 5 left and that's third year over for me.

Got accepted into 3/3 of my choices for next year. Was almost moving to Aberdeen but financially I've went for UWS in Paisley. Also closer to family etc. Hope I don't regret it.

Going back to Uni again at my age is certainly challenging, but exciting.

Got accepted into 3/3 of my choices for next year. Was almost moving to Aberdeen but financially I've went for UWS in Paisley. Also closer to family etc. Hope I don't regret it.

Going back to Uni again at my age is certainly challenging, but exciting.

I really want to say that you're a fool but with the rent prices being what they are just now up here, you'd be struggling to get somewhere half decent on a student budget. Probably a wise choice if it's for a general subject you can do elsewhere.

Shame though as Aberdeen's a great student town if you can afford it, like most could ~10 years ago.