Who's Going To Uni?

Or 70% at every other university, that system is just such a load of w**k! :lol:

My give-a-shit-ometer didn't even flicker when I heard about the system to be honest. It is a complete irrelevance to me. As long as I get a first from my degree I couldn't care less how the grades are worked out.

That would be a double first, it's 70% at EVERY university in the country for a first class honours.

A - first (70+)

B - upper second (60-70)

C - lower second (50-60)

D - third (40-50)

Except it isn't at Glasgow because you need an A5 average for a first, which is 18/22 or 82%. Note to SaltyTON must try harder.

Edit: oh and I think you'll find that the correct usage of "double first" applies where someone achieves a first in two subjects of a joint honours degree, and not "because you get 80%".

Edited by Ad Lib

• 3 weeks later...

For those studying at Stirling - it was the 10th or 11th of January last year that exam results came out, so I'd keep an eye on your portal over the next couple of days.

You need 82% for a first at Glasgow. Is there any wonder Glasgow Uni students look down on Strathclyde and the like :rolleyes:

The classes at Glasgow are graded too highly if 80% can't even get you a first, it's no wonder I look down on that institution. They might want to make their classes more taxing ;)

That would be a double first, it's 70% at EVERY university in the country for a first class honours.

A - first (70+)

B - upper second (60-70)

C - lower second (50-60)

D - third (40-50)

Is a "double first" not for joint honours? I thought a first at 70% is the same as a first at 100%.

My tuppence worth: Glasgow and Stirling's grading systems are a layer of abstraction greater than is needed to grade a degree course.

The classes at Glasgow are graded too highly if 80% can't even get you a first, it's no wonder I look down on that institution. They might want to make their classes more taxing ;)

Oh come on, you're a statistician are you not? You've wilfully ignored material factors such as calibre of student, difficulty of exam and proportion of Honours classes awarded. Poor show! ;)

Is a "double first" not for joint honours? I thought a first at 70% is the same as a first at 100%.

Exactly. A double first is awarded when you achieve the grades for a first in two mediums as part of the same degree. SaltyTON is just point blank wrong.

My tuppence worth: Glasgow and Stirling's grading systems are a layer of abstraction greater than is needed to grade a degree course.

It's really not that complicated at all.

Edited by Ad Lib

Already got mine a few days ago. Happy with the lot of them! :D

What modules did you take? I don't have any of mine yet.

I'm a bit nervous - I think I did pretty well in my modules, but depending on the results I get I know if I need to work my arse off in Semester Eight or if I can afford to take it easy as I'll already have all but achieved my desired grade.

Oh come on, you're a statistician are you not? You've wilfully ignored material factors such as calibre of student, difficulty of exam and proportion of Honours classes awarded. Poor show! ;)

Nope - I was joshing, I know there are too many variables for either of us to be correct ;)

It's really not that complicated at all.

It's a layer more complicated than it could be ;)

Doing Politics and Philosophy at Stirling, had my philosophy result back but not either of my politics ones yet. Philosophy results seem to be released about a week before politics ones are. Never sure why they are so much quicker in philosophy than in politics but it's always the way.

Got a 9.0 for my Dutch Modern history paper, which given the mark is rounded to the nearest whole out of 10, ain't too shabby.

American Studies exam tomorrow but I'm more on top of the course than in the first part of the course, and I've actually done the 20% source work. Should be a skoosh.

Oh the joys of uni are back, had a 9 start today, lucky me. sad.gif

Saying that I am only in on a Monday this trimester, albeit 9-6 and with an option module to do in my own time.

Nope - I was joshing, I know there are too many variables for either of us to be correct ;)

Ditto ;)

It's a layer more complicated than it could be ;)

So is a percentile system. Why not just grade stuff "First" "Upper Second" "Lower Second" "Third" eh? eh? EH? :P

Ditto ;)

So is a percentile system. Why not just grade stuff "First" "Upper Second" "Lower Second" "Third" eh? eh? EH? :P

Or "Pass" and "Fail"

If you can't understand Glasgow's system you don't deserve a degree. The letters are A-H and work the same way as in school. The numbers just split the grade up into more specific chunks.

Or "Pass" and "Fail"

If you can't understand Glasgow's system you don't deserve a degree. The letters are A-H and work the same way as in school. The numbers just split the grade up into more specific chunks.

Comprehending the grading system isn't the argument (now that it's been explained). It's just wholly unnecessary.

Comprehending the grading system isn't the argument (now that it's been explained). It's just wholly unnecessary.

It's no more or less unnecessary than trying subjectively to decide whether something should get 60% or 65%. In science-based subjects, fair enough using a grading system where the points made and steps followed directly correlate to a "mark" leading to a percentage. In things like humanities, I really don't see how it's any more complicated or unnecessary than a percentage, though.

Edit: it really doesn't matter how you calculate it overall at all. It could be in base 8 using Greek letters for digits if you really wanted as long as it makes intuitive sense to those who need understand it.

Edited by Ad Lib

Ours is also done on a grading system, to grade is 1A**, then 1A*, then 1A. Then 1B and 1C. You get 2A - 2F for second class, 3A- 3C for third ,and even the fails are split into 4A - 4C and 5A - 5C. If anything, it sounds so far like your uni is the odd one out, as you need your mark in as simple and idiot proof a style as possible! :P

Really? I've never heard of anyone getting a 1A* or 1A**. I thought 1A-C was a first, 2A-C was 2:1, 2D-2F was second class and a third was 3A-C.

Looks like I'm heading for a second class degree :lol:

Really? I've never heard of anyone getting a 1A* or 1A**. I thought 1A-C was a first, 2A-C was 2:1, 2D-2F was second class and a third was 3A-C.

Looks like I'm heading for a second class degree :lol:

My dissertation got a 1A* IIRC. :: preens :: :P

Im at uni at edinburgh, its pretty good. The jack wills gilet tarquin and olivia crowd are out in force but theres plenty of norms to take the piss out them with.

Good, good. I've decided to go to Edinburgh and will probably go self-catered. Hopefully get a flat with some fellow plonkers.