Who's Going To Uni?

There's a Facebook Group for our year of LLB students set up ideally to share info amongst each other and help get through assignments relatively unscathed and clueless. Unfortunately there are serial offenders who just seem to keep asking for answers to the most recent assignment and supporting case-law instead of doing the damned work themselves.

So in collusion with a guy who's a bit of a law whiz I've answered a request for information citing the (for avoidance of doubt, fictitious) case of Clifford Trustees v Big Red Dog Productions 1901 SC 666, with him adding plausibility by immediately discussing the limits of said case.

So far, at least 2 people have fallen for it hook, line and sinker and no doubt more will follow. I know it would be cruel, but part of me would dearly love someone to skim read the Facebook thread and cite it in their essay, due Thursday :D

Someone set up a group like that for our Civil/Architectural Engineering group. It's pretty decent, no one really shares answer that much on it. More just answers questions about assignments and lab reports etc, although there was a few past paper questions answered last week but that isn't really the same as answering essays or what ever.

Well you say that, but the world of law has some truly bizarre names. If I told you there was a case called Belfast City Council v Miss Behavin' Limited for example, or a certain Judge of the Supreme Court by the name of Lord Stone-cum-Ebony you would probably think I was joking ;)

But were they trading in 1901 though?

It sounds more like some kind of 1930's strip club to me. Lord Stone-cum-Ebony? Why that's Supras's real name!

Merchiston.A man called Frank McDermott showed me around and i want to study Quantity Surveying. I think its fair to say the lifts and the massive computer centre isnt in proportion to the bean can like lifts.

Nightlife and the look of Edinburghs good to. What are you studying?

Merchiston campus is truly awful, the other ones are all far nicer.

'Edinburgh' Napier as much as it isn't a real uni is good for any related to civil engineering and computing, so you made the right choice based on the course.

The cafeteria is not well priced at all, the food is pretty poor and they charge for fucking ketchup. :angry: Needless to say you just stick it behind something, f**k paying for condiments, you ain't making people pay for salt, pepper or vinegar are you?

That would be a double first, it's 70% at EVERY university in the country for a first class honours.

A - first (70+)

B - upper second (60-70)

C - lower second (50-60)

D - third (40-50)

That's a decent rule of thumb but vastly over simplified. At Edinburgh at least there's some really complicated statistical weighting that goes on when they're assigning final grades. The exact details of how they do it are secret but basically they moderate your final score in an exam based on how you did in it relative to everyone else and how you did in it relative to all your other exams. Basically, if you got 50% raw marks but everyone else only averaged 20% then you're doing well. Similarly, if you get 75% but everyone else got 90% then that isn't too hot.

You can imagine a scenario where everyone in the class got more than 70%- there's no way a uni will give them all firsts.

Merchiston.A man called Frank McDermott showed me around and i want to study Quantity Surveying. I think its fair to say the lifts and the massive computer centre isnt in proportion to the bean can like lifts.

Nightlife and the look of Edinburghs good to. What are you studying?

Sorry just noticed this, ahh right, well I am, studying Building Surveying so you would be in the same classes as the ones I am doing right now.

TBH Merchiston is a bit shit inside and yes the lifts are awful. :lol: But you dont complain when you have to climb 8 flights of stairs at 9 o'clock in the morning.

Much like Salty says, the only real courses that Napier do well are the building ones, the rest are still slightly behind I would say, but the course I am on is on a level par with the majority of other surveying courses, albeit most of the main uni's like Edinburgh dont actually offer it, its the likes of Napier and RGU. And yes the cafe is awful, but that is pretty irrelevent when there is a greggs, tesco, subway and a chippie within 200 yards, with buses heading into town, every 10 minutes, its a pretty decent spot for a campus, tbh.

Hope that helps, sorry for not spotting it and if you do have any questions, I will do my best to answer them, although my knowledge of the QS course isnt brilliant, i am afraid.

There's a Facebook Group for our year of LLB students set up ideally to share info amongst each other and help get through assignments relatively unscathed and clueless. Unfortunately there are serial offenders who just seem to keep asking for answers to the most recent assignment and supporting case-law instead of doing the damned work themselves.

So in collusion with a guy who's a bit of a law whiz I've answered a request for information citing the (for avoidance of doubt, fictitious) case of Clifford Trustees v Big Red Dog Productions 1901 SC 666, with him adding plausibility by immediately discussing the limits of said case.

So far, at least 2 people have fallen for it hook, line and sinker and no doubt more will follow. I know it would be cruel, but part of me would dearly love someone to skim read the Facebook thread and cite it in their essay, due Thursday :D

Wow, the days must fly bye.

After Glasgow Uni's Websurf has finished doing its level best not to tell people their exam results, it's finally working again.

Just my Politics 2A (History of Political Thought) result in. I got an A2 :o . I'm genuinely shocked as I left the exam hall hoping I'd managed to average B2 across the two essays just to be sure of an A. I must have averaged between A1 and A2 in the exam over the essays.

I await the crash back down to earth when the Law results come in...!

That's a decent rule of thumb but vastly over simplified. At Edinburgh at least there's some really complicated statistical weighting that goes on when they're assigning final grades. The exact details of how they do it are secret but basically they moderate your final score in an exam based on how you did in it relative to everyone else and how you did in it relative to all your other exams. Basically, if you got 50% raw marks but everyone else only averaged 20% then you're doing well. Similarly, if you get 75% but everyone else got 90% then that isn't too hot.

You can imagine a scenario where everyone in the class got more than 70%- there's no way a uni will give them all firsts.

A German friend of mine, studying in Munich told me that only a certain number of folk in her class can get a first class and at the other end, a certain number have to fail. Therefore in theory (not that it would happen), you could get 99% but if the rest of the class got 100%, you'd still fail your course. Any truth in this method? Sounds shite!

Yip, websurf has been diabolical, as we all expected.

I got a B1, my best result in university so far, and yet it still pissed all over by Ad Libs.

b*****ds.

The other people I have spoken to have A5 and B1, how fucking easy was this course? I only went to about 1 in every 5 lectures, and slept during the tutorials. Because of other exams, I only spent 1 day studying for this exam.

I think we were all given a Standard Grade Foundation paper by mistake.

I came out of most of my exams being pretty confident that I had a very good idea of my actual score. Some of them I thought I got a decent of moderate result and then got a really high mark when I saw the results. Weighting is really important.

Well I'm properly fucked, first ever time I've failed anything at university and it was a shitty group assignment. No point in blaming the other members, there was no problem working together and I was responsible for more of it than anyone else. Taking a notoriously difficult second year course with 0 experience in the subject was perhaps too ambitious . It's funny, breeze my other subjects without going, the one where I turn up to every lecture and spend hours preparing for is the one I fail. The assignment was only worth 40% so it's not over yet, but the exam is ridiculously difficult and I need a D2 to pass and a C2 for a reasonable chance at honours. I'd take a D3 overall, anything to avoid an August resit. Either way, there's a good chance I will either resit the course next year or enter non honours third year then honours - both meaning an extra year at university. No other groups failed, and no one else in my group has ever failed anything before, I don't know what the f**k went wrong. A decision so seemingly insignificant as what tutorial group I chose could change my entire life.

Hah, got an A5 in the exam and a B3 overall. f**k knows how, I was sure I failed, I didn't even attempt one part of the question, and the chances of me 'aceing' the other parts are quite low. I realised at the end it was totally wrong unsure.gif

I'm still quite concerned they can correct erroneous results cause that is the only way I can explain this. Got a preliminary acceptance to Melbourne University on this possibly erroneous result as well.

Overall, a B3 and two B1s. It's a lot better than last year, and I've done less work.

Dunno how my other group members done, it was kinda my fault we got a D3 laugh.gif

And you still got a B1? ;)

What kind of piss poor joke is this? dry.gif

Got a preliminary acceptance to Melbourne University on this possibly erroneous result as well.

Nice one. I didn't apply for Study Abroad but from what I've heard the School of Law applications have been quite brutal. Lots of interviews in the last week or so.

What kind of piss poor joke is this? dry.gif

To be fair, if you didn't get the top grade in a Foundation Standard Grade paper, you'd have to be monumentally incapable.

Nice one. I didn't apply for Study Abroad but from what I've heard the School of Law applications have been quite brutal. Lots of interviews in the last week or so.

Should have taken a 'diddy' degree, the only brutal part about it is getting the application through the department itself (8 fucking months). RuG are happy to let anyone in for their courses.

Edited by vikingTON

Should have taken a 'diddy' degree, the only brutal part about it is getting the application through the department itself (8 fucking months). RuG are happy to let anyone in for their courses.

True enough on the degree front. The School of Law has a lot of direct links with other Universities on top of whole-of-university places and I think something like 40% of LLB students go abroad, even if just for 6 months. They advise you to do the full year though.

No real desire to go abroad at this point, to be honest. If I'm going to do something abroad, I'd look to do a post-grad.

Btw, "RuG"?