Who's Going To Uni?

Drove past that uni building in Bristo square Edinburgh today, the place where there always seems to be loads of posh looking, dressed up graduates each year. The building has been getting cleaned up outside and it looks absolutely tremendous.

Drove past that uni building in Bristo square Edinburgh today, the place where there always seems to be loads of posh looking, dressed up graduates each year. The building has been getting cleaned up outside and it looks absolutely tremendous.

McEwan Hall. Inside is also getting done up, as you'd expect the main graduating hall is nice but there's alot of space underneath that is getting turned into flexible usable space.

In 5th year next year so I'll be graduating at Usher Hall instead.

Only just clicked on there to that list having Heriot Watt as #18 :lol:

Basically makes the list invalid.

Depends in what way you look at it. The Guardian considered things like employment rates of graduates, amount of cash spent per skull, results of the national student survey etc. Some unis see students as walking fees (yes we get them even if the students are not paying). Others take it seriously.

In terms of REF (research excellence framework) which measures academic contributions to research (i.e. nowt to do with teaching) the results are as follows for Scottish unis:

Edinburgh - 4

Glasgow - 13

St Andrews - 29

Strathclyde - 30

Aberdeen - 31

Dundee - 37

Heriot Watt - 43

Stirling - 48

Glasgow Caley - 83

Napier - 97

West of Scotland - 100

Highlands and Islands - 104

Robert Gordon - 105

Queen Margaret - 118

Abertay - 123

The only thing I'm really concerned with is the graduate prospects. I go to uni so that I can get a job with the degree so couldn't really care less about what students think of their universities, the amount of cash per student or research levels etc.

In that case I am surprised at your sniffiness towards Heriot Watt - it's one of the best for graduate employment. But that only stems from all the bits you *don't* care about. Amount spent per student (i.e. resources put in to their education) is a big deal as it defines how well equipped the students are when they leave and compete against others.

In that case I am surprised at your sniffiness towards Heriot Watt - it's one of the best for graduate employment. But that only stems from all the bits you *don't* care about. Amount spent per student (i.e. resources put in to their education) is a big deal as it defines how well equipped the students are when they leave and compete against others.

Just had a look back at the tables and for graduate employment Heriot Watt is rated below all of the main Scottish universities (St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde) which was what I was meaning when I said I'd not have it above any of them.

Just had a look back at the tables and for graduate employment Heriot Watt is rated below all of the main Scottish universities (St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde) which was what I was meaning when I said I'd not have it above any of them.

Graduate employment is merely a factor, not the be all and end all.

Obviously, but it's the best indicator of how well the uni will equip you to get a job afterwards, which is all I care about.

If you're happy to be miserable while at uni and only care about the £££ then fair enough.

Got a 2:1 in Marketing Management. Definitely the easiest 4 years of my life, sad to see it end.

Well done m9, what next for you?

I just found out I've gone from pretty much failing 1st and 2nd year to being a bawhair away from a first in 3rd year. It's true that folk try harder when it counts :lol::lol::lol:

Well done m9, what next for you?

I just found out I've gone from pretty much failing 1st and 2nd year to being a bawhair away from a first in 3rd year. It's true that folk try harder when it counts :lol::lol::lol:

ThanQ m8. I have a couple of job interviews over the summer, one in Edinburgh and one Glasgow. Hoping to put this mother to good use.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone ever done the post grad teaching course know if you can apply for it through ucas for deferred entry? As in, I'd apply this year with the intention of starting the course in 2017.

I graduate next year and was hoping to take a year out before going into teaching