Who's Going To Uni?

Going to Glasgow Uni to do Nursing and Healthcare in September! I was in Nepal and was meant to have a Skype interview with them the Monday after the earthquake struck, they took that as extenuating circumstances though. :lol: So got a face to face interview when I got back and got an unconditional. :) Does anyone have any recommendations about what accomodation to stay in in first year?

Murano street up near the Partick Thistle groon

Murano if you are pretty outgoing and don't mond constant parties going on, Queen Margaret if you want to have a shower and toilet to yourself but don't want to be out every night.

Are the Queen Margaret ones up past Glasgow Calley that you go by on the motorway? Remember a few friends staying there before and they were decent for the reasons you mentioned.

I would love to go back to living in student halls again

Are the Queen Margaret ones up past Glasgow Calley that you go by on the motorway? Remember a few friends staying there before and they were decent for the reasons you mentioned.

I would love to go back to living in student halls again

Nah Queen Margaret are up beside Kelvinside Academy in the West End, near the edge of Maryhill.

Nah Queen Margaret are up beside Kelvinside Academy in the West End, near the edge of Maryhill.

I think i know where you are on about

Quite a few student halls going up in Edinburgh at the moment as well, them b*****d students are spoilt rotten for places they are quickly going to drench with drink, urine and semen

Guardian League Tables are out!

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016

Listed below are Scottish Universities and their place on the UK list - these lists are overall. If you're looking for a specific subject, the Guardian guide can do that as well.

St Andrews (3)

Heriot Watt (18)

Edinburgh (20)

Glasgow (24)

Strathclyde (33)

Dundee (38)

Aberdeen (41)

Robert Gordon (46)

Napier (64)

Stirling (65)

Queen Margaret (76)

Glasgow Caledonian (89)

Abertay (93)

West of Scotland (115)

Highlands and Islands (not classified)

I think the fact that you were the first graduate means its stating the bleeding obvious that you were the first post graduate...

If there was a sufficient gap between his degree and postgrad course then another family member could have completed their first degree and a masters in the intervening time.

Drove past that uni building in Bristo square Edinburgh today, the place where there always seems to be loads of posh looking, dressed up graduates each year. The building has been getting cleaned up outside and it looks absolutely tremendous.

Drove past that uni building in Bristo square Edinburgh today, the place where there always seems to be loads of posh looking, dressed up graduates each year. The building has been getting cleaned up outside and it looks absolutely tremendous.

McEwan Hall. Inside is also getting done up, as you'd expect the main graduating hall is nice but there's alot of space underneath that is getting turned into flexible usable space.

In 5th year next year so I'll be graduating at Usher Hall instead.

Only just clicked on there to that list having Heriot Watt as #18 :lol:

Basically makes the list invalid.

Depends in what way you look at it. The Guardian considered things like employment rates of graduates, amount of cash spent per skull, results of the national student survey etc. Some unis see students as walking fees (yes we get them even if the students are not paying). Others take it seriously.

In terms of REF (research excellence framework) which measures academic contributions to research (i.e. nowt to do with teaching) the results are as follows for Scottish unis:

Edinburgh - 4

Glasgow - 13

St Andrews - 29

Strathclyde - 30

Aberdeen - 31

Dundee - 37

Heriot Watt - 43

Stirling - 48

Glasgow Caley - 83

Napier - 97

West of Scotland - 100

Highlands and Islands - 104

Robert Gordon - 105

Queen Margaret - 118

Abertay - 123

The only thing I'm really concerned with is the graduate prospects. I go to uni so that I can get a job with the degree so couldn't really care less about what students think of their universities, the amount of cash per student or research levels etc.

In that case I am surprised at your sniffiness towards Heriot Watt - it's one of the best for graduate employment. But that only stems from all the bits you *don't* care about. Amount spent per student (i.e. resources put in to their education) is a big deal as it defines how well equipped the students are when they leave and compete against others.

In that case I am surprised at your sniffiness towards Heriot Watt - it's one of the best for graduate employment. But that only stems from all the bits you *don't* care about. Amount spent per student (i.e. resources put in to their education) is a big deal as it defines how well equipped the students are when they leave and compete against others.

Just had a look back at the tables and for graduate employment Heriot Watt is rated below all of the main Scottish universities (St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde) which was what I was meaning when I said I'd not have it above any of them.