Who's Going To Uni?

Good effort mate.

I've applied for 2nd year at Caley, UWS, Stirling and Strathclyde. All various journalism courses.

I did first and second year of journalism at Caley, then went directly into third year of sports journalism at UWS (when it was based at Hamilton, it's Ayr now).

Caley the better overall degree in that it's based in the business school and teaches you a lot of non-journalism stuff like marketing, managerial finance, management and organisations etc which help give you more employment options after graduating, but UWS will probably make you a better journalist as you'll do a lot more of it and the work experience opportunities and external stuff are better too.

No right or wrong answer really about which course is better for you, just personal preference I'd say. If you're convinced you want to be a journalist I'd go with UWS, especially now it's at Ayr where the facilities are far superior to what we had at Hamilton, but if you're quite open minded about what you want to do (doing journalism doesn't necessarily mean you want to be a journalist) then Caley would be a better choice.

I dunno enough about Strathclyde or Stirling to comment.

I quite liked how it worked out for me, doing both courses meant I got the best of both worlds, and didn't have freshers at Hamilton which would have been shit.

Staring at the blinking cursor on my personal statement for about an hour now. Progress is slow but I'm getting there. It's just trying to find the right words, not ramble and stay within the limit

Aye mate. In the HNC first year of my HND course. I'll probably end up staying and finishing my HND and go to 3rd year, but it'll be nice to have options.

Just make sure the Uni course is properly suitable to what you're doing at College. I did HNC & HND Interactive Media at College, went into Uni via a degree link to do Multimedia Development. Within the first week the leader of the Multimedia department told us who'd come from the Interactive Media course that it wasn't exactly the right course for Interactive Media students to go into but it was too late to change anything

Ended up dropping out at the end of my 3rd year (1st Uni year). Now applying to a course that looks much more suitable to my HND... hopefully

Aye mate. In the HNC first year of my HND course. I'll probably end up staying and finishing my HND and go to 3rd year, but it'll be nice to have options.

I did first and second year of journalism at Caley, then went directly into third year of sports journalism at UWS (when it was based at Hamilton, it's Ayr now).

Caley the better overall degree in that it's based in the business school and teaches you a lot of non-journalism stuff like marketing, managerial finance, management and organisations etc which help give you more employment options after graduating, but UWS will probably make you a better journalist as you'll do a lot more of it and the work experience opportunities and external stuff are better too.

No right or wrong answer really about which course is better for you, just personal preference I'd say. If you're convinced you want to be a journalist I'd go with UWS, especially now it's at Ayr where the facilities are far superior to what we had at Hamilton, but if you're quite open minded about what you want to do (doing journalism doesn't necessarily mean you want to be a journalist) then Caley would be a better choice.

I dunno enough about Strathclyde or Stirling to comment.

I quite liked how it worked out for me, doing both courses meant I got the best of both worlds, and didn't have freshers at Hamilton which would have been shit.

Interesting reading that. I'm currently 1st year Sports Journalism at UWS and I'm absolutely loving it. I was pretty fortunate in that I had 3 unconditionals (Caley, UWS and Napier) and chose UWS. I think the bit in bold sums up exactly why, and it wasn't something that I could quite explain before. I'd always wanted to be a journalist - as well as a racing driver and footballer obvs - and UWS seemed more like the real world than Caley which reminded me a bit of school.

It's all about contacts and the lecturers at UWS certainly have a decent number of them which made me a lot more confident about getting a career out of it in the future. The campus at Ayr is absolutely tremendous by the way, the only downside for me is that it's a bit of a travel. The train is absolutely perfect for an early morning Football Manager session though :lol:

The other downside I guess is people making snooty comments about not going to an 'established Uni', but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I wanted to go somewhere that, a) I enjoyed and felt comfortable in and b) Could give me the best possible platform for what I wanted to do. I couldn't care less what my kids in the future do as long as it's something that they enjoy!

Do you work in journalism now? I always wanted to be a journalist but u spent my free time as a youth getting MWI not building up a portfolio of publications like I should have.

It's never too late! Start up a blog, get a bit of writing done on that, publicise it all on Twitter and you will (eventually) get noticed, be that in a good way or bad! I actually ended up getting asked if I fancied writing a fans blog for the Lennox Herald in Dumbarton after posts on here! I think about it in football terms, at first you're a free agent playing park football with your mates, keep plugging away, keep improving and the opportunities will come your way.

Me giving life advice :lol:

So you enjoying the course Sonsteam? I seen you tweeting my mate, who's also on your course lol.

I feel as if UWS probably would be my best option, but it's deciding whether to go into 2nd year or get my HND then go in 3rd year.

Also, Ayr is a 15/20 drive for me so it's all good.

Gary your mate? Sit next to him most days!

Aye it's excellent, great bunch of guys on it and it's all been pretty interesting so far - there's the odd dull bit, and sometimes a bit of waiting around whilst the lecturers work their way round everybody, but football teasers and sporcle have became good friends!

Can't help you on the second/third year thing, but maybe there's someone else on here who has done something similar. Will be good to finally meet you...if you decide to come join us! Two Ayr fans on the course so we need an extra Killie fan to even things up :lol:

Gary your mate? Sit next to him most days!

Aye it's excellent, great bunch of guys on it and it's all been pretty interesting so far - there's the odd dull bit, and sometimes a bit of waiting around whilst the lecturers work their way round everybody, but football teasers and sporcle have became good friends!

Can't help you on the second/third year thing, but maybe there's someone else on here who has done something similar. Will be good to finally meet you...if you decide to come join us! Two Ayr fans on the course so we need an extra Killie fan to even things up :lol:

Aye Gary, no seen him in a while mind!

I've applied to Stirling, Caley and Strathclyde aswell. But I doubt I'll go to them if I get offers.

Pretty much torn between UWS 2nd year and doing my HND year. Some of the lecturers at my course really annoy me, as do some of the people on the course!

I done HNC and HND at Ayr College then progressed to 3rd year at UWS and I'm now doing my honours. The HNC/HND route makes it a lot easier in my eyes.

How did you find the jump from college to uni? Would you have been able to go into 2nd year after your HNC year?

It's sports journalism I want to focus on and this is why I am swaying towards going to UWS for second year.

Also the fact it's a short drive down for me helps!

How did you find the jump from college to uni? Would you have been able to go into 2nd year after your HNC year?

It's sports journalism I want to focus on and this is why I am swaying towards going to UWS for second year.

To be honest, I don't think it really matters which year you switch. The only difference I noticed is that at college you get more interaction with your lecturer, however my results at uni so far have much been better than what I got at college. Got a C for my HNC and HND, now I'm currently sitting between a 1st and a 2:1.

Really what I'm saying is it's all down to yourself. Uni is more of an experience.

Staring at the blinking cursor on my personal statement for about an hour now. Progress is slow but I'm getting there. It's just trying to find the right words, not ramble and stay within the limit

Don't worry too much about it. I don't read them, and other admissions tutors I've spoken to don't either.

2/3 of my exams out the way, first one was Maths which I've scooshed. Today was pretty brutal though, Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer. Been a while since I looked around after an exam and saw three quarters of the class turn to their mate and shake their heads/laugh about how disastrous it was.

Edited by Big Fifer

I was constantly wondering this in my second year but in third year now (totally different course but I'm sure its all much the same) and uni is far better in every way. I would recommend jumping ship for your second year, larger class sizes but all the lecturers have gotten back to concerns plus you will have more students around about you to help you. I also thought they introduce you to more literature in uni so its up to you whether you use it or not, never got any such help in college although our lecturers may have just been particularly unhelpful!

I think school pupils all get told it's January or something. Last year the hard deadline where we wouldn't take anyone was the end of June. Anyone after that was in through clearing.

I was told it was the 15th January, got it in midway through December though.

Edited by Marr1