Who's Going To Uni?

Clearing is a bust. Bloody "free tuition" Scotland. Had to turn away a girl with 4 As and a B at Higher - more than meeting our entrance requirements - because of her postcode. If she'd lived in a shithole she'd have been welcomed in with open arms, but we had to turn her away as we can only take SIMD 40s.

Clearing for the rest of the UK starts tomorrow. Basically if you have a pulse and can bring £9k in fees, come on in.

• 3 months later...

Had a near heart attack moment when all my documents disappeared off my laptop after a windows update. Was halfway to tears at the 6 months of list dissertation work but the old turn it off and on again trick worked wonders. I could've shagged my laptop when I seen those files again I was so happy

Need to start backing things up methinks....

Edited by paul-r-cfc

Writing my personal statement at the minute, finding positives about yourself that doesn't make you sound like a w****r is much harder than I thought.

I review applications as part of my job.

I hardly ever look at the statements. Don't worry too much about it.

I review applications as part of my job.

I hardly ever look at the statements. Don't worry too much about it.

That's interesting. I was always under the impression that given how many people are getting similar marks that the personal statement would be quite important.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the most important things you look at when grades are similar ?

That's interesting. I was always under the impression that given how many people are getting similar marks that the personal statement would be quite important.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the most important things you look at when grades are similar ?

Depends on what uni you're at. Some of the lower ranked unis give out as many as 5 times as many offers as they have places available because they know they're a backup choice for a lot of people.

With the exception of Russell Group and 1994 Group unis, you're pretty much guaranteed an offer for most subjects as long as you meet the academic requirements and your statement doesn't look like a four year old wrote it.

Just reading this reminded me of overhearing a couple of wee guys on the train last summer who were loudly discussing starting uni this year. One had seemingly got into wherever was his first choice, but the other had been knocked back for Edinburgh and was ending up at UWS.

No big deal, until he started making a bizarre case for it actually being a good thing due to the "fact" that Edinburgh nightlife was totally dull, and Paisley had always been much more of a university town. Half the carriage were desperately trying not to make eye contact with each other - if one person had started laughing that would have been it.

Just reading this reminded me of overhearing a couple of wee guys on the train last summer who were loudly discussing starting uni this year. One had seemingly got into wherever was his first choice, but the other had been knocked back for Edinburgh and was ending up at UWS.

No big deal, until he started making a bizarre case for it actually being a good thing due to the "fact" that Edinburgh nightlife was totally dull, and Paisley had always been much more of a university town. Half the carriage were desperately trying not to make eye contact with each other - if one person had started laughing that would have been it.

Both ridiculous and factually incorrect, Edinburgh nightlife is more than adequate for a good student life, IMO.

I guess Paisley might be a *tick* better due to being a short taxi ride into Glasgow city centre but the drop-off is minimal and nowhere near worth being at a shit uni for at all.

The area I'm in doesn't matter as we are nowhere near being full. People with similar grades get similar offers. Our conversion rates (applicants that turn in to people being here) is about 19% so we just make loads and loads of offers and see what comes in. I've never had the case yet where I'm agonising over 2 similar candidates and have to make a choice - just does not happen.

The area I'm in doesn't matter as we are nowhere near being full. People with similar grades get similar offers. Our conversion rates (applicants that turn in to people being here) is about 19% so we just make loads and loads of offers and see what comes in. I've never had the case yet where I'm agonising over 2 similar candidates and have to make a choice - just does not happen.

Works at a pots and pans university IMO.

I may have asked this before, but has anyone ever applied/studied the PGDE in history or modern studies? Was looking to ask a few questions about it that the admissions teams tend to avoid answering...

EDIT: Or even better, if anyone is involved in teaching it or assessing applicants!

Edited by paul-r-cfc

I may have asked this before, but has anyone ever applied/studied the PGDE in history or modern studies? Was looking to ask a few questions about it that the admissions teams tend to avoid answering...

EDIT: Or even better, if anyone is involved in teaching it or assessing applicants!

Drop me a PM if you like. I teach Modern Studies and have also been involved in the assessment side of it Edited by Redhead81