Who's Going To Uni?

Has anyone on here done Erasmus?

Went to Uppsala University in Sweden from August '99 to January '00. Great experience. Not sure if the scheme has changed at all since then, but when I went they gave me about £260 a month. It covered my accommodation cost and a little bit more. That, and a good old student loan saw me through without the need to take on a job.

Need to find someone to do me a reference for the PGDE next year. Asked my advisor of studies and he recommended I find someone else. Fair enough seen as I've never met him. He'll do it if I don't find anyone else but should be able to get someone willing to help

Have you done some work experience in a school? If so can whoever you've been shadowing do it.

Yeah I've been in my old school and plan on going back for a bit next year but just thought I'd be best with an academic reference seen as I'd be just out of uni

This might not count but I'm starting an OU Social Work degree at the end of the month.

I graduated with a BA Applied Social Sciences in 2004 (I didn't stay for honours due to becoming a Dad after my first year and money being an issue). I started working as a support worker with adults who have learning difficulties and mental health issues and have been doing this job since. The drawback I have is that there's no opportunity for career progression unless I go into management which I don't want to do. I enjoy working with people who have disabilities so I decided to go for the social work degree. It's part time and will take a few years but I managed to get a fee grant so it's all been paid for and I can still work full time. I'm slightly nervous as I haven't studied (aside from a pish SVQ3) for over a decade but I'm looking forward to it. From a financial point of view, a qualified social worker starts on £10k more per year than I make. More importantly though, I think I have the correct personal skills and experience to do the job.

Good luck mate, sounds like you have got a good background which will set yourself in good stead when you graduate.

The OU SW degree is really hard going and make sure you put away some money before you go on placements.

This might not count but I'm starting an OU Social Work degree at the end of the month.

I graduated with a BA Applied Social Sciences in 2004 (I didn't stay for honours due to becoming a Dad after my first year and money being an issue). I started working as a support worker with adults who have learning difficulties and mental health issues and have been doing this job since. The drawback I have is that there's no opportunity for career progression unless I go into management which I don't want to do. I enjoy working with people who have disabilities so I decided to go for the social work degree. It's part time and will take a few years but I managed to get a fee grant so it's all been paid for and I can still work full time. I'm slightly nervous as I haven't studied (aside from a pish SVQ3) for over a decade but I'm looking forward to it. From a financial point of view, a qualified social worker starts on £10k more per year than I make. More importantly though, I think I have the correct personal skills and experience to do the job.

I've transfered my previous diphe from Strathclyde and started my first ou module in October. It's working well for me. You just have to try and not fall behind which so far I haven't. My first assignment was my first piece academic work in 8 years. I got 69. Submitted my second one yesterday.

Getting results back next week - i am quite an anxious person at best of times but I'm starting to get the proper fear. Apparently the results will just be online in the morning so i will be having sleepless night before hand.

When I was at uni there was no online releasing of grades - they were put up on the course notice board. A table of registration numbers and grades. As I loved close to the uni it was fine - drive in during the holidays and keep an eye out. Must have been a nightmare for people living further away.

Now it's online. Ours get released this week and I'm expecting a few difficult meetings with students later in the week.

When I was at uni there was no online releasing of grades - they were put up on the course notice board. A table of registration numbers and grades. As I loved close to the uni it was fine - drive in during the holidays and keep an eye out. Must have been a nightmare for people living further away.

Now it's online. Ours get released this week and I'm expecting a few difficult meetings with students later in the week.

Shitting on your own doorstep can be risky.

That'll be multimedia journalism at GCU then?

Currently in third year and loving it mate. Hope the interview goes well for you - when is it? If you've got any questions feel free to send them over.

Is so mate. Doubt I'll go to GCU though, they rejected me for second year entry. Not wanting to go back to first year as I'll feel like I've wasted a year!