Snow!

xbl

Scotrail

Spokeperson on Radio at same time:All trains North of Edinburgh cancelled.

Spokeperson on TV at lunchtime:We've learned the lessons of last year.

That was East Coast Trains, not Scotrail.

It's not -20 and other countries manage. Fair enough if drivers can't get to work but I was working in Motherwell yesterday and went by train but had to get a bus back because they didn't know when the next train would be.

I missed Wednesday's shift, but that was down in West Yorkshire. Buses and taxis couldn't make it to my depot.

My father works for Scotrail and when its gets like this the trains get hard packed ice under them meaning the brakes dont work, so they can only get a limited number of trains out on the tracks.

True. That's the reason for longer journeys. Running brake tests every 3-5 minutes and speed reduction for safety. Normal running goes out the window.

A Scotrail spokesman said they had learnt lessons from last time but seems not.

This year has been a lot harsher weather wise.

They say things like that to try and get the public off their back. The trains they have just cannot run in this weather.

I made it home today from West Yorkshire, where it was -8 last night, bang on time at 19.21. Had a few stoppages on the Leeds - Preston line due to signalling failures, but got here when I expected to.

Still got about 8-10 inches lying in Portlethen and it got down as low as -9 at 8am Friday morning, how do I know this? My friend sent me a picture from the bus stop showing me his thermometer which is for use in his practical chemistry assessment! :lol: Whilst this was going on I was in my warm bed :D

It's currently pissing of rain here. Hopefully that continues and at least some of that white shite will be clear in the morning.

Pissing down in Hamilton as well........shouldnt have bothered clearing the snow for me and my neighbours this morning!!!

Christ, in recent years our tree has gone up around the 20th and down long before the new year.

My house must be shite from the outside. :lol:

We always did that too. We have a real tree and they tend to fall to bits if they get put up too early.

But now the kids are being wound up at school about the whole thing we are sticking an artificial one up in the ballroom and will wait a week or so before buying the tree for the drawing room.

Does anyone know if the sun's rays are capable of melting any snow / ice, even if the air temperature is below freezing?

I'd have said no, but there is definitely a bit less than there was yesterday despite the temperature today being -1C.