Snow!

xbl

3 minutes ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

North ayrshire council have excelled themselves this morning. They closed largs academy 10 minutes after the school day started. Largs primary remains open though with a warning that the surrounding area is treacherous.
The academy and primary are next door to each other.

It makes absolutely no difference how close the schools are. If the teachers can get in for one but can't for the other, then that will be why it's closed.  No doubt those who didn't make it will have been trying all morning leading to the late decision. 

It's not that difficult to understand.

We're getting sent home after lunchtime apparently. A couple of centimetres out the west side of Edinburgh beyond the bypass but nothing much. We're expected to work from home in the afternoon though. Better pick a pub with WiFi.

It makes absolutely no difference how close the schools are. If the teachers can get in for one but can't for the other, then that will be why it's closed.  No doubt those who didn't make it will have been trying all morning leading to the late decision. 
It's not that difficult to understand.

Really? So there was a chance people wouldn't make it but they waited to see and made a late decision.
I'm confident there would have been no danger to people trying to get in so the council can make their late decision even though people were being warned not to travel eh!
If only we could predict or forecast the weather in some way so we can avoid late decisions and unnecessarily dangerous travel. Or are the majority of other councils in Scotland guilty of knee jerk school closure?
It just seems difficult to understand

3 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Can anyone advise on my prospects of reaching Hamilton from South Ayrshire tomorrow morning, by road or rail? Scotrail and Traffic Scotland seem reluctant to make such a long range prediction.

Ask the Killie fans - they are experts on attempting this, only to be denied late on.

5 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

Can anyone advise on my prospects of reaching Hamilton from South Ayrshire tomorrow morning, by road or rail? Scotrail and Traffic Scotland seem reluctant to make such a long range prediction.

Transport minister saying Do not travel unless absolutely necessary and large parts of Scotland now being issued with red weather warnings for snow for the first time ever between 3pm today and 10am tommorow.

I dont fancy your chances

12 minutes ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

Really? So there was a chance people wouldn't make it but they waited to see and made a late decision.
I'm confident there would have been no danger to people trying to get in so the council can make their late decision even though people were being warned not to travel eh!
If only we could predict or forecast the weather in some way so we can avoid late decisions and unnecessarily dangerous travel. Or are the majority of other councils in Scotland guilty of knee jerk school closure?
It just seems difficult to understand

Thee are many factors that led the the late decision to close one school and not the other. The close proximity is clearly not one of them. That's the only point I'm making. 

6 minutes ago, cambozpar said:

Transport minister saying Do not travel unless absolutely necessary and large parts of Scotland now being issued with red weather warnings for snow for the first time ever between 3pm today and 10am tommorow.

I dont fancy your chances

I think he should go.

Just now, ayrshire_nomad said:

Fair enough, I just feel that north ayrshire should have made a decision earlier

They can't really win though.

Shut early and people will moan that the decision has been made far too early, shut late and the decision is far too early. There will always be people moaning.