Coffee Geek?

http://worldaeropresschampionship.com/2015/02/17/2015-scottish-aeropress-championship/

Think a few of you may like this.

Bonnie laddies and lassies of Scotland, the 2015 Scottish Aeropress Championship is upon us.

Hosted again this year by Dear Green Coffee Roasters, the evening of March 4th will see just 20 competitors battle it out for Aeropress supremacy at SWG3 in Glasgow. Entrants will be provided with coffee roasted by the hosts, a Marco water boiler and a variety of grinders from Mahlkonig but should bring their own Aeropress and peripheral brewing support equipment.

Cat Cubie will be on the mic as event MC, and officiating will be the esteemed judicial triad of John Thomson, James Shepherd and Matt Slater, charged with the responsibility of giving away prizes donated by TKC Sales, Dear Green, Knock and Aerobie.

If you thought the fun was limited to those competing, you couldn’t be more wrong (and should be ashamed of yourself). Try this on for size;

• Music by El Rancho DJs
  • Full bar service by SWG3 featuring a Dear Green X Drygate Coffee Ale (!)
  • A brew bar run by and featuring Scottish specialty coffee roasters
  • A merchandise stand
  • Food by Babu Bombay Street Kitchen

Bear in mind that you will only be allowed entry if you're dressed as follows:

4363670-hipster.jpg

I plan on rocking up with a jar of Gold Blend and my cock out.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went into the Bean Shop in Perth this afternoon for a bag of their 67 Blend (apparently their strongest one). Received a complementary espresso upon entering and also a free bag of some Cuban stuff that they'd ground by mistake. Can't complain.

Just got a delivery from Pact. A Decaff Las Chicharras, I've never seen the point of Decaff before but it was a trial price and it's lovely cup of coffee.

My favourite tassimo is the Carte Noir latte Machiatto (sp) I've got some mini Monin syrups in the house too so had some nice flavour combos with it!

Their Caramel latte Macchiato is excellent, far superior to Costa's effort.

Tesco stock this and now also the Carte Noir Petit Dejuner Classic, which is gleeful as it is my fave, and saves me having to bulk buy them direct from Tassimo.

• 2 months later...

Just bought a Tassimo machine and a variety pack to see what I like and don't like.

Stupid question - does it pour the same amount every cup? Got loads of mugs different sizes but im assuming 'standard' mug size is the way to go?

On a similar note - how come all the pictures I have seen, has people making them in those posh glasses? What's the difference?

Also do you put milk in the machine or is it powdered in the capsule?

Finally, once iv settled on a few flavours I like, any recommendations for best (cheapest) place to bulk buy?

Just bought a Tassimo machine and a variety pack to see what I like and don't like.

Stupid question - does it pour the same amount every cup? Got loads of mugs different sizes but im assuming 'standard' mug size is the way to go?

On a similar note - how come all the pictures I have seen, has people making them in those posh glasses? What's the difference?

Finally, once iv settled on a few flavours I like, any recommendations for best (cheapest) place to bulk buy?

If Yer near a costco, they usually have deals on the pods. When you buy them you get milk pods with whatever flavour you buy.

No it doesn't. Standard 'Americano' coffee's will fit into a regular mug. For latté's i'd recommend buying a latte mug - they are bigger.

People make them in the glasses to show off the layering effect, which would otherwise be hidden by the mug. There's no difference.

The milk discs come with real milk, which is then heated and foamed by the machine - milky drinks come with a milk pod.

ASDA regularly do 3 for £10, Tesco sometimes have offers on too. Avoid buying from Tassimo unless you are bulk buying flavours you cannot get in the shops. Always get enough to get free delivery, and always make use of voucher codes.

Enjoy!

Tassimo pods have a bar code on them that the machine reads and pours the required amount of water for that pod.

The packs have a guide that tell you whether you need a small, medium or large cup.

I buy Lavazza and Segufredo (spelling) from Booker at around £2.50 a pack.

Cheers for the help folks - Tassimo arrived today and made a couple of things.

I really like it and it's piss easy to use. My only gripe is that the portions are quite small. I want a full sized cup of coffee not these half measures, I guess there is an option to fill it up with more hot water

Just obtained a couple of bags of High Voltage from Tesco. Intrigued to try it in the morning.

Wee bit richer and slightly sweeter than the Java and smells like pipe baccy! Had a big mug of it just before 8 this morning and was still feeling it after midday. Never had that much of an effect from the caffeine before from just 1 mug. Excellent stuff though probably not one for the evenings!

All Taylor's 227g bags are currently on offer at £2.50 in Tesco for anyone interested.

Cheers for the help folks - Tassimo arrived today and made a couple of things.

I really like it and it's piss easy to use. My only gripe is that the portions are quite small. I want a full sized cup of coffee not these half measures, I guess there is an option to fill it up with more hot water

Try different brands. I find the Kenco one quite good.

Archived