Lineup

Cowshed Chris

If you were Scotland boss, and everyone was fit, what would your lineup be??

Here's my take on things......

Marshall (or whoever is on form at the time, there aint alot in it with keepers)

McNamara - Pressley - Anderson - McNaughton

Fletcher - Ferguson - Quashie - McFadden

Miller - Thompson

...... with McFadden pressing forward at every oppertunity.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK: Craig Gordon

RB: Jackie McNamara

CB: Steven Pressley

CB: Dominic Matteo

LB: Gary Naysmith

RM: Darren Fletcher

CM: Christian Dailly

CM: Barry Ferguson

LM: Nigel Quashie

ST: Steven Thompson

ST: James McFadden

If you were Scotland boss, and everyone was fit, what would your lineup be??

Here's my take on things......

Marshall (or whoever is on form at the time, there aint alot in it with keepers)

McNamara - Pressley - Anderson - McNaughton

Fletcher - Ferguson - Quashie - McFadden

Miller - Thompson

...... with McFadden pressing forward at every oppertunity.

McNaughton at left-back? :blink:

Guest TheKiwiBear

GK: Craig Gordon (20) 5 caps, 0 goals - Hearts

DEF: Andy Webster (22) 14 caps, 0 goals - Hearts

DEF: Stephen Pressley (30) 20 caps, 0 goals - Hearts

DEF: Christian Dailly (30) 53 caps, 3 goals - West Ham United

MID: Nigel Quashie (26) 6 caps, 1 goal - Portsmouth

MID: Barry Ferguson (26) 26 caps, 2 goals - Blackburn Rovers

MID: Darren Fletcher (20) 13 caps, 1 goal - Manchester United

MID: Jackie McNamara (29) 28 caps, 0 goals - Celtic

MID: Neil McCann (28) 22 caps, 3 goals - Southampton

STR: Steven Thompson (25) 15 caps, 3 goals - Rangers

STR: James McFadden (20) 19 caps, 5 goals - Everton

COACH: Anybody who is half-decent at man-management, well-organised, good at utilising meagre resources that punches above its weight.

Actually, looking at that team, although its defensive, its got a good core of experience there, that if handled right, could get some points in the WCQ that are left. The problem is, of course, that no Scotland manager is ever going to get that team all available, all at once.

The Kiwi Bear

McNaughton at left-back? :blink:

Yes, he's played there for his club and even said on the radio he felt very comfortable in the left back position.

In any case, who else could play there? Naysmith?

Naysmith is ok going forward, but pretty poor at defending.... hence, McNaughton is the man.

DEF: Andy Webster (22) 14 caps, 0 goals - Hearts

DEF: Stephen Pressley (30) 20 caps, 0 goals - Hearts

DEF: Christian Dailly (30) 53 caps, 3 goals - West Ham

I think we've seen time and time again that Scotland are not good enough to play 3 at the back. If you are going to play three at the back, your defence needs to be able to cover ground for when the strikers drift out wide. I'm afraid I would not class Webster, Pressley or Dailly as particularly mobile.

Guest TheKiwiBear

Yeah, perhaps thats a valid point about the 3 centrebacks. However, 3-5-2 can just as easily be a 5-3-2 formation, and quite frankly, I'd prefer a return to narrow defeats rather than this dross of getting humped 5-0 and 6-0 by teams.

If you chose a Scotland team that had five at the back, I'd stick with the 3 I mentioned, that is Webster, Dailly, Pressley, but have McNamara in there at right back. McCann would get the chop for Gary Naysmith.

So, the revised line-up might look something like this:

GK: Craig Gordon

DR: Jackie McNamara

DL: Gary Naysmith

DC: Andy Webster

DC: Stephen Pressley

DC: Christian Dailly

DMC: Barry Ferguson

MC: Darren Fletcher

MC: Nigel Quashie

FC: Stevie Thompson

FC: James McFadden

You get back to the old problem, though, of not creating enough chances. You can't live off absorbing pressure for 90 minutes and then 'luck' something from your 2, 3, chances you might get in open play. But, having said that, do we want to get continually wasted by everyone?

What will Walter Smith do?

Over to you.

The Kiwi Bear

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gk Gordon

RB MacNamara

CB Webster

CB Pressley

LB Naysmith

LM McFadden

CM Ferguson

CM Daily

RM Fletcher

CF Dickov

CF Millar

A team of no Englishman i believe aswell ;) a rarity in a Scotland squad these days :angry:

Ah well, a new year, new Scotland coach, so a new attempt at picking a best 11 from me! :P

Based on current form....

Gk - Craig Gordon

DR - Jackie MacNamara

DL - Gary Naysmith

DC - Zander Diamond

DC - Steven Pressley

MR - Paul Hartley

ML - James McFadden

MC - Barry Ferguson

MC - Darren Fletcher

FC - Derek Riordan

FC - Paul Gallacher

Also another side with 11 'Scottish' players, although I wouldn't leave Quashie and co out on that basis alone. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Ah well, a new year, new Scotland coach, so a new attempt at picking a best 11 from me! :P

Based on current form....

Gk - Craig Gordon

DR - Jackie MacNamara

DL - Gary Naysmith

DC - Zander Diamond

DC - Steven Pressley

MR - Paul Hartley

ML - James McFadden

MC - Barry Ferguson

MC - Darren Fletcher

FC - Derek Riordan

FC - Paul Gallacher

Also another side with 11 'Scottish' players, although I wouldn't leave Quashie and co out on that basis alone. :unsure:

Nice to see Paul Hartley getting a mention, but maybe play him in the middle with Fletch on the right?

We should get Riordan into the squad, he's young but he's a class act and he's already got plenty of goals in the SPL to prove it. Worth taking even as a sub.

Cant believe people would omit Quashie who has a been great find for Scotland and hasnt let us down yet, far better player than Hartley.

Nice to see Paul Hartley getting a mention, but maybe play him in the middle with Fletch on the right?

The right hand side of midfield is probably our weakest position, and although Fletch has been playing there, I reckon he's a much better player in the middle of the park. I seem to remember that wee p***k Hartley doing a lot of damage to us from the right wing, which is why I want for him there. :unsure:

I suppose you could switch them easily enough though.

We should get Riordan into the squad, he's young but he's a class act and he's already got plenty of goals in the SPL to prove it. Worth taking even as a sub.

Cant believe people would omit Quashie who has a been great find for Scotland and hasnt let us down yet, far better player than Hartley.

Yeah Quashie is good but Hartley deserves a chance too. He has been class this season and would definitely do well for Scotland. I would play him in front of a 4-man midfield and behind a single striker in a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Yeah Quashie is good but Hartley deserves a chance too. He has been class this season and would definitely do well for Scotland. I would play him in front of a 4-man midfield and behind a single striker in a 4-4-1-1 formation.

Im not at all convinced about Hartley, all too often we have guys who have been decent club players all their careers having a great spell then being punted for Scotland by fans of their clubs. Thats how Crawford got into the squad and he's rubbish. There was also a clamour at one point for Steve Fulton :lol: I dont see Hartley as being good enough and he certainly shouldnt get his first cap against Italy, and certainly certainly not in place of someone like Quashie who has already proved himself for Scotland and shows his class every week in the Premiership.

Archived