-----------------------Douglas----------------------

--McNamara------Weir-------Webster-----Naysmith--

--Fletcher--------Ferguson----Quashie-----McFadden---

--------------------Dickov-------Thompson---------------

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Captain Sensible
He may have played on the wing yesterday - but he scored 3 goals in his last 6 games playing up front.

Your point about Dickov is precisely the one I'm making - what's more, he's consistently scored his goals for teams in the relegation zone. Much easier than scoring for a team playing free-flowing attacking football which is 3rd in the league.

Andy Gray isn't a target man though, nor should he be mentioned anywhere near a Scotland squad. I'm fairly confident that Walter shares my line of thinking. The BBC lists him as a midfielder, though I would consider him more of a winger.

Andy Gray

Steven Thompson would be my choice as a target man, Kyle is pish. Thompson scores whenever he gets a chance for the ****, and is a buddie to boot! ;) Totally agree that we should play Dickov off a target man though - against Slovenia, Vogts played him on his on up front, then played the long ball. :blink:

Incidentally, what about Garry O'Connor? He has been at least part of the reason Riordan has scored so many this season, has scored plenty goals himself, and is a target man to boot?

Kilo - what has Riordan done to prove himself over Kenny Miller? Even Steven Thompson has scored more goals in Scotland, though obviously he has played more games. I don't think you can say he has proved himself to be better than either of those, though hopefully he will in good time.

I accept he is better than Crawford and Kyle, but that doesn't say much, sadly. :(

Everton play 4-5-1 with Beattie as the lone striker (Bent before this). Whenever McFadden plays its on the wing.

Andy Gray is an out and out striker and is indeed a target man. He is not a midfielder and does not play on the wing. His recod of 17 league goals in 40 games for Sheffield United is not bad.

Kevin Kyle scored 14 goals last season in a league which is far superior to the SPL and for a club that is far bigger than anything in Scotland outside the Old Firm. Not bad for a target man who was in his first full season as a regular.

O'Connor is not an out and out target man. Steven Thompson is okay - but Kyle is better in the air.

I'd agree with Captain's line up to a degree:

-----------------------Douglas----------------------

--McNamara------Weir-------Webster-----Naysmith--

--Fletcher--------Ferguson----Quashie-----McFadden---

--------------------Dickov-------Thompson---------------

You really shouldn't have Webster ahead of Pressley.

Chris - I don't think Stevie Thomson or Kenny Miller were quite as good as Riordan is, and certainly not on current form. Surely current form has some bearing on your team selection?

I accept your points about Dickov.

Guest Captain Sensible

Webster is left sided and plays on the left side of central defence for Hearts. Pressley is right sided and plays on the right side of central defence for Hearts. On that basis, it would be better to play Webster as that is the position he plays week in week out surely?

Webster is left sided and plays on the left side of central defence for Hearts. Pressley is right sided and plays on the right side of central defence for Hearts. On that basis, it would be better to play Webster as that is the position he plays week in week out surely?

But Pressley is better than Webster.

Everton play 4-5-1 with Beattie as the lone striker (Bent before this). Whenever McFadden plays its on the wing.

Andy Gray is an out and out striker and is indeed a target man. He is not a midfielder and does not play on the wing. His recod of 17 league goals in 40 games for Sheffield United is not bad.

Kevin Kyle scored 14 goals last season in a league which is far superior to the SPL and for a club that is far bigger than anything in Scotland outside the Old Firm. Not bad for a target man who was in his first full season as a regular.

O'Connor is not an out and out target man. Steven Thompson is okay - but Kyle is better in the air.

No, Gray is not a target man, while O'Connor most certainly is. He played right wing for Notts Forest, and is still listed as a midfielder by his current club.

Midfielder

He has also been gash for both the Future squad and the full squad. He is the type of player that Berti called up out of desperation, one of the 76 Smith declared as too many. Can't see him ever getting back into it.

Kyle is bigger and maybe better in the air, but he is very clumsy and whenever I see him he normally always has at least one shocking miss. He's also only fourth choice at Sunderland. Thompson scored in his last competitive outing for Scotland, he can keep the jersey.

Chris - I don't think Stevie Thomson or Kenny Miller were quite as good as Riordan is, and certainly not on current form. Surely current form has some bearing on your team selection?

I accept your points about Dickov.

Yes, that's a fair point about current from. But I would still play Thompson ahead of Riordan because of his style of play, I think we need to play a big guy with a wee guy, and I can't see past Dickov at the moment. However, with pace and skill Riordan would be an asset to have on the bench. Let's face it, if he gets a wee bit of experience in the San Siro when we have next to no chance of qualifying anyway, it can only stand him in good stead for a few years' time when we need him.

Gordon

McNamara Pressley Weir Naysmith

Fletcher Ferguson Quashie McFadden

Riordan Dickov

One potential change to this is if Neil McCann ever shows any signs of approaching form and/or match fitness. In which case he could play wide left, with McFadden moving up front, maybe.

Another interesting option - McNamara to move into midfield with Gary Caldwell at left back? He was one of the few players to do himself any favours in the twilight of Vogts' reign.

Guest Captain Sensible
No, Gray is not a target man, while O'Connor most certainly is. He played right wing for Notts Forest, and is still listed as a midfielder by his current club.

Chris - take a look at the sports section on the BBC website and look back at the Sheffield United line ups in any game. He is listed as a striker in the line up in every single game.

I also witnessed him playing as a striker in the Sheffield Utd v Aston Villa FA Cup tie this season and he is most certainly a big physical striker who was able to win the ball in the air from long balls and crosses. His manager Neil Warnock also stated that he was a target man when he was signed. And if you look at the Bradford City line ups on the BBC website you can see he played as a striker for them as well.

Guest Captain Sensible
But Pressley is better than Webster.

Gary Naysmith is a better full back than Gary Caldwell. But would he be a better right back than Gary Caldwell?........... :unsure::rolleyes:

Chris - take a look at the sports section on the BBC website and look back at the Sheffield United line ups in any game. He is listed as a striker in the line up in every single game.

I also witnessed him playing as a striker in the Sheffield Utd v Aston Villa FA Cup tie this season and he is most certainly a big physical striker who was able to win the ball in the air from long balls and crosses. His manager Neil Warnock also stated that he was a target man when he was signed. And if you look at the Bradford City line ups on the BBC website you can see he played as a striker for them as well.

He's certainly played as a winger for most of his career, including his fleeting performances for Scotland.

Interesting to see that Sheff Utd are trying to sign both Ade Akinbadbuy, possibly the worst player to play in the EPL, and Tommy Johnson, 34 and pish, suggests that Andy Gray isn't the best of strikers. It also took him two years to score his first career goal. :blink:

In any case, there's no chance of Walter picking him in the foreseeable future, thankfully. B)

------------------Douglas--------------------

McNamara---Webster----Weir----Naysmith

Flethcer---Fefuson---Quashie----McFadden

Riordan Thompson

GTF CALDWELL AND CRAWFORD !!! :angry:

Chris you'd pick McGinty in your sqaud :P

No, I'd just pick him ahead of Gillies. ;):P

------------------Douglas--------------------

McNamara---Webster----Weir----Naysmith

Flethcer---Fefuson---Quashie----McFadden

Riordan Thompson

GTF CALDWELL AND CRAWFORD !!! :angry:

Chris you'd pick McGinty in your sqaud :P

Andy Webster is worse than Steven Pressley, without a doubt.

.....................Douglas......................

McNamara...Weir...Pressley...Naysmith

......................Dailly.........................

.......Fletcher...Ferguson...Quashie......

.............Dickov...McFadden...............

Riordan and Hartley to come on as subs.

Caldwell and Crawford should be no even be in squad.

In the last year Gary Caldwell has been one of our few good players, especially when playing at right back. He should definitely be in the squad.

People trying to make him a scapegoat clearly don't watch Scotland games. :angry:

In the last year Gary Caldwell has been one of our few good players, especially when playing at right back. He should definitely be in the squad.

Agree Chris, although he doesn't really have the pace to play at full back, he's looked a lot better than a lot of other squad players

Agree Chris, although he doesn't really have the pace to play at full back, he's looked a lot better than a lot of other squad players

He's not going to get up and down the wings, but in a 4-4-2 that doesn't matter as much. Let's face it, we have limited enough players as it is, so someone who can defend competently, works hard and is a fair tackler has to be an attribute to the team, or at least the squad.

Guest motherwelldave

The best keeper in the country at the moment is defo Gordon. Douglas is rubbish, Sullivan is doing ok in an average Championship team and Marshall does not enough first team experience and is prone to making errors.

My team would be

Gordon

Naysmith

Dailly

Pressley

McNamara

McFadden (on the left where he has been playing well for Everton and personally think thats where he was best at motherwell)

Ferguson

Quashie

Fletcher

Thompson

Dickov - I was totally critical of him when he first came into the team but he has been playing consistantly well for blackburn and has scored a lot of goals especially considering his teams poor league postion.

Archived