Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I offered to do a lecture for a society expecting a dozen or so folk but the current count on their Facebook event page is currently 74 going & 42 maybes. I know that numbers shouldn't make a difference but I'm now shiteing it for some reason seeing as they'll be sticking me in a uni lecture theatre.

are you Julian Blanc's stand in?

Aye, to make your way up to Sangs in Macduff where all the magic happens.

I hear rumours that the miracle beverage may be found within the holy land of Asda.

I'll report back after the doctor tomorrow.

Just noticed this. I genuinely made myself a chicken madras effort for dinner this evening and had some Moray cup an hour ago. Will I be OK? :unsure2:

Maybe, but if you feel anything warm in your rectum, call a doctor and, for the love of God, CLENCH.

Finally got round to reading "The Murders in the Rue Morgue". Very disappointed.

Bear in mind that it was published in 1841. It predates the first Sherlock Holmes story (1887) and all the detective fiction that followed.

Poe was massively ahead of his time and if he looks clichéd and formulaic now that's more to do with what's been done on the back of his work.

Stick with him though. There's still some aspects of Poe that nobody has been able to mimic.

Bear in mind that it was published in 1841. It predates the first Sherlock Holmes story (1887) and all the detective fiction that followed.

Poe was massively ahead of his time and if he looks clichéd and formulaic now that's more to do with what's been done on the back of his work.

Stick with him though. There's still some aspects of Poe that nobody has been able to mimic.

Oh, I know the age and all that. I'm just very unimpressed with the structure and resolution.

Oh, I know the age and all that. I'm just very unimpressed with the structure and resolution.

I know what you mean.

To a modern audience the main reason to read "Murders in the Rue Morgue" is as a relic of literary history, the godfather of modern detective fiction, as opposed to as a story in its own right.

Poe may have pioneered the detective mystery but he didn't pursue it much further and you've seen why.

His forté was the macabre gothic to which he devoted most of his efforts and they stand up better in the modern day.