Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

The only reason I even thought about it is I can see an Opel advertisement board in the background of P&B. Then wondered by I've never seen a car in this country from a manufacturer large enough to be able to sponsor Bayern, AC Milan etc. Was not expecting to uncover an intricate and life-long deception.  If they'll lie  to you about THIS, what ELSE will they lie about??? 🤔🤔

image.png.484a187e6a52c8bcfb5069ec34cfe97b.png

I'm sure if you prise the Vauxhall badge off the front grille there's an Opel badge underneath.

19 minutes ago, specsaver said:

Us older ones can easily remember Opel Manta, the flying machine of it's time! Vauxhall Astra was an Opel Kadet. All wee very common in early/mid 80's  

People sneered at the Manta because the panels were made of sheet steel half the thickness of other cars. Nowadays they're made of tinfoil and plastic. 

20 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm sure if you prise the Vauxhall badge off the front grille there's an Opel badge underneath.

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

'Facts you Made Up' thread for this pish.

No there is. My next door neighbour had a manky old vectra for years and the vauxhall badge was missing and it was opel underneath. Not a badge, but the outline of it.

11 minutes ago, Rugster said:

No there is. My next door neighbour had a manky old vectra for years and the vauxhall badge was missing and it was opel underneath. Not a badge, but the outline of it.

That's me telt.

I checked online and apparently the Vauxhall badge is indeed just stuck on top of the Opel but often falls off due to cheap adhesive.  Seems amateur as f**k to stick one badge on top of another. 

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That's me telt.

I checked online and apparently the Vauxhall badge is indeed just stuck on top of the Opel but often falls off due to cheap adhesive.  Seems amateur as f**k to stick one badge on top of another. 

It's like the outline underneath, I think it's so they don't have to change parts when manufacturing or something

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I just learned that Vauxhall isn't a real car manufacturer. It's just rebadged Opel's. Wtf. I've been lied to my whole life.

I'd always thought Opel's were nasty, forrin, knock-off Vauxhall's. Not seen one since I was about 8 though, I don't think.

Were they ever made in Vauxhall Liverpool/London? Or have they just plucked an English place name out of a hat?

1 hour ago, specsaver said:

Us older ones can easily remember Opel Manta, the flying machine of it's time! Vauxhall Astra was an Opel Kadet. All wee very common in early/mid 80's  

Also the Opel Corsa came first, before we got the name when Corsas replaced the Nova as the small car in the range.

32 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

I'd always thought Opel's were nasty, forrin, knock-off Vauxhall's. Not seen one since I was about 8 though, I don't think.

Were they ever made in Vauxhall Liverpool/London? Or have they just plucked an English place name out of a hat?

One of a huge list of auto manufacturers around the world who were gobbled up at one time or another, or their failed name rights purchased, by another brand or group. Vauxhall produced its own cars 1903-1925, when GM bought them. About 1980, GM started rebadging Opels as Vauxhalls. Bedford was GM/Vauxhalls commercial division from 1930, and GM unloaded Vauxhall to Peugeot in 2017, which became Stellantis now.

As for production, until 1905, production was in Vauxhall, London, but still mainly marine engines and pumps, when they moved auto production to Luton.

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

One of a huge list of auto manufacturers around the world who were gobbled up at one time or another, or their failed name rights purchased, by another brand or group. Vauxhall produced its own cars 1903-1925, when GM bought them. About 1980, GM started rebadging Opels as Vauxhalls. Bedford was GM/Vauxhalls commercial division from 1930, and GM unloaded Vauxhall to Peugeot in 2017, which became Stellantis now.

As for production, until 1905, production was in Vauxhall, London, but still mainly marine engines and pumps, when they moved auto production to Luton.

frank.jpg.734f0bde0cec5931cf3ff84a5707209e.jpg

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My brother's first car was an Opel Kadett.  Just like this one, same colour and everything:

23168533159_1dc7767a46_b.jpg

Absolute heap of shite. 

Opel badged Chevrolet Chevette…piece of shite is too good a term for it. Had a ‘78 that caught fire on the freeway due to a transmission fluid leak after months of it smoking and trying to fix it several times.