Procycling thread

myshkin

34 minutes ago, Compliment Sandwich said:

Guys like Nieve, Landa and Henao don't even look like they need to drop off on the climbs.  It's almost got the feel that they do it because they don't want to raise any more suspicion than they already do by having 4/5 riders up top when Quintana is dropping off the back.

Not been much chat on here of Adam Yates remarkable Tour to date.  If he keeps up this level of form then he'll surely be a future Sky leader...

Don't you mean Sky domestique?

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not just pro cycling, no sport is trustworthy.

Aye, this is true. I know I have become P&B's resident doping conspiracist, but cycling is a long way from being the worst sport. At least, by and large, cycling fans are not in denial about this. I would far rather have scepticism surrounding the sport than live in the happy clappy world of tennis, for example.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Froome appears to be struggling when not on his own bike. How mysterious.

I know you don't like him or Sky but maybe it was because he had clattered his knee off the road and was in a bit of pain? A few heavy falls today, Pierre Rolland went sliding off the road and Mollema only just avoided going right into the trees at a roundabout. Biggest casualty was Tom Dumoulin who broke his wrist after crashing and had to abandon, and his Olympic TT hopes look in serious doubt now.

3 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Froome appears to be struggling when not on his own bike. How mysterious.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

I know you don't like him or Sky but maybe it was because he had clattered his knee off the road and was in a bit of pain? A few heavy falls today, Pierre Rolland went sliding off the road and Mollema only just avoided going right into the trees at a roundabout. Biggest casualty was Tom Dumoulin who broke his wrist after crashing and had to abandon, and his Olympic TT hopes look in serious doubt now.

Be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow, as he appeared to have a bag of 'ice' strapped to his knee on the podium.

As for riding another's bike, perhaps that just comes down to the set up preferred by the rider. Didn't seem to phase him too much after 1/2 an hour of getting used to Thomas's gearing.

Certainly the fight is on for 2nd and 3rd on the podium today

Quintana in 3rd place only 16 secs behind 2nd placed Bardet.

4th placed Yates 19 secs behind Quintana.  Richie Porte 31 secs behind Yates.

Today's stage profile:

PROFIL.png

Given some of the decisions so far, it's absolutely horseshit that Adam Yates has been given a 10 second penalty for accepting a handsling yesterday after he had to change bikes. Quintana getting a tow from a service moto was conveniently glossed over.

Rain forecast for later today, the final descent into Morzine could be a bit hairy.

Kreuziger had a decent go at it and caused some minor panic among the GC contenders as he had enough of a lead at one point to go up to second on GC.

Noticed the last few days that the motorbikes have taken a more proactive approach to getting in between the riders and any arsehole fans on the climbs. I do wonder at times how they decide what sections to fence off, there were long parts of the descent fenced off during the TT the other day but only a handful of fans at them, while it was the usual free for all on the climb.

Be interesting to see who Sky build the team around at the Vuelta. Landa would be the obvious choice &, given his pulling out of the Giro, along with this minor part in Froome's Tour success.