Procycling thread

myshkin

58 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Fair play to Cav, he could have chucked it various times this race, going right back to Stage 1. Even from the middle of this week with no more sprint finishes in store and only a few days of suffering to come it would have been very easy to throw in the towel, but he has toughed it out to the end.

I thought he might have been tempted to withdraw or get dropped after his performance in the first stage. Fair play to him, some achievement 

58 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Fair play to Cav, he could have chucked it various times this race, going right back to Stage 1. Even from the middle of this week with no more sprint finishes in store and only a few days of suffering to come it would have been very easy to throw in the towel, but he has toughed it out to the end.

It's a shame the Olympics in Paris stopped him finishing on the Champs-Élysées

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's a shame the Olympics in Paris stopped him finishing on the Champs-Élysées

And a chance at a final stage win as I doubt they would have gone with a time trial.

Saw the presentation, black shirt for the Lanterne Rouge, “CAXXXV”. What were the chances of him losing 1min+ to his team mate Ballerini?

What a shame, it wasn’t Merckx presenting it.

BCDB24EC-48F5-43A4-870C-F79D1865EB0A.jpeg

1 hour ago, stanton said:

Pogacar giving the Olympic Games a miss , looks like he’s aiming for the Rainbow Jersey 

Slovenian Olympic Committee saying it’s “extreme fatigue”. The ORR is on the 3rd August. 

Edited by kiddy

24 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Slovenian Olympic Committee saying it’s “extreme fatigue”. The ORR is on the 3rd August. 

I felt it was asking a lot for him to go into the Olympic Games so close to the Tour. Be interesting to see what effect Covid has had on Tom Pidcock who was targeting a medal in the mountain bike and the road race 

The Slovenian Olympic Committee not picking his girlfriend might have also been on his mind...

Olympics will be interesting with it being so close to the Tour again (although not as close as London I think - didn't Wiggins, Froome, Cavendish etc not only have a few days? Then the Worlds where Pogacar has targeted taking the Rainbow jersey from van de Poul. Will Remco defend the TT jersey?

One good thing about this Tour and the way it played out is that the Vuelta looks really open. Kuss will presumably be there to defend. Adam Yates/Almedia bid for UAE? Roglic has wln it a few times, he should be fit enough to have another go. Could Landa finally get a GT win? Who do Ineos take? Will Teo Geoghan Hart be fit for Lidl Trek? Pogacar could have probably done it and won tbh. I take it he'll have a go at some point so he has the full set.

49 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The Slovenian Olympic Committee not picking his girlfriend might have also been on his mind...

Olympics will be interesting with it being so close to the Tour again (although not as close as London I think - didn't Wiggins, Froome, Cavendish etc not only have a few days? Then the Worlds where Pogacar has targeted taking the Rainbow jersey from van de Poul. Will Remco defend the TT jersey?

One good thing about this Tour and the way it played out is that the Vuelta looks really open. Kuss will presumably be there to defend. Adam Yates/Almedia bid for UAE? Roglic has wln it a few times, he should be fit enough to have another go. Could Landa finally get a GT win? Who do Ineos take? Will Teo Geoghan Hart be fit for Lidl Trek? Pogacar could have probably done it and won tbh. I take it he'll have a go at some point so he has the full set.

IIRC Wiggins finished the Tour on the Sunday with the Olympics a fortnight later.

Edit: a quick Google shows I'm wrong, Tour finished on 22nd July, London road race was on 28th July.

Edited by peasy23

15 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I won't be shocked if Yates and Almeida both on the podium at the Vuelta. They have both been in sensational form this year and I think Yates could have podiumed the Tour had he not completely sacrificed his chances for Pog.

• 4 weeks later...

What happened to Tarling yesterday? I didn't see any of it and saw he was quite far down for such a big stage favourite. 

Also seems to be a criticism of the lack of spectators for a Grand Departure, which is a shame.  Also weird the organisers have went for an ITT to finish the race instead of the usual Madrid circuit sprint. Would look interesting maybe in a normal year but in the same year the Tour did the same it makes it look like they have no ideas of their own (apart from starting inside a supermarket next week).

17 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What happened to Tarling yesterday? I didn't see any of it and saw he was quite far down for such a big stage favourite. 

Also seems to be a criticism of the lack of spectators for a Grand Departure, which is a shame.  Also weird the organisers have went for an ITT to finish the race instead of the usual Madrid circuit sprint. Would look interesting maybe in a normal year but in the same year the Tour did the same it makes it look like they have no ideas of their own (apart from starting inside a supermarket next week).

Caught some of his interview after the TT, said he felt flat...

he was sounding a bit down

Where he crashed today near the end was a nasty bit of road to kerb gutter..

If he sounded down yesterday.....

We're approaching silly season and I see some transfers have already been announced.

Ethan Hayter is off to Soudal Quickstep.

Alaphillipe is off to Tudor.

Lenny Kamna to Lidl Trek.

Simon Yates to Visma.

Jhonatan Narvaez off to UAE.

Some interesting moves there.