Procycling thread

myshkin

he shouldn't be racing the tour, it's a simple as that.

he should have taken a year suspension then came back in 2012. if wins the tour then loses at CAS he'll ruin the result of 3 of the last 4 GT's, that is a hefty blow to a sport that struggles for credibilty.

So he should`ve voluntarily taken a year out then? I agree he shouldn`t be there, but I`d start pointing the fingers at the UCI. They couldn`t run a bath. As said the whole matter should`ve been dealt with in the cycling close-season. How that they`ve managed to arrive at this point is a complete & utter joke. The sport needs rooted right from top to bottom, starting with those corrupt clowns at the UCI. It would be great to see a new champion come from nowhere to take this Tour by storm, & by that I don`t mean Schleck.

Looks like the crashes towards the finish might be a bit of a minefield. Normally on a flat stage as this, anyone who is held up by a crash in the last 3km(Schleck) gets the same time as the main bunch in front(6 secs behind Gilbert). Contador finished with Schleck, but was held up by an earlier crash 6km out, the commisionaires are gonna have a nightmare sorting this out.

they've arrived at this because the bent as a 9 bob note spanish cycling federation cleared him. it's up to the national association to discipline riders and if they don't wada and the uci have to take them to CAS which is a long drawn out process.

the ending there was chaos. i don't see how they can give the people who crashed inside the 3 the 6 second time but not people who finished in front of them. whatever happens someone is going to be pissed off.

they've arrived at this because the bent as a 9 bob note spanish cycling federation cleared him. it's up to the national association to discipline riders and if they don't wada and the uci have to take them to CAS which is a long drawn out process.

the ending there was chaos. i don't see how they can give the people who crashed inside the 3 the 6 second time but not people who finished in front of them. whatever happens someone is going to be pissed off.

Confirmed. A Schleck, Basso, Wiggins, Gesink get 6s time. Contador gets 1.20 time. Gesink finished over 3.30 down at the finish with a broken bike! :lol:

Contador & Sanchez big losers. Suppose the moral is don`t get held up 6km out because of a crash!

Confirmed. A Schleck, Basso, Wiggins, Gesink get 6s time. Contador gets 1.20 time. Gesink finished over 3.30 down at the finish with a broken bike! :lol:

Contador & Sanchez big losers. Suppose the moral is don`t get held up 6km out because of a crash!

totally unfair but i'm happy.

Anyone But Contador

totally unfair but i'm happy.

Anyone But Contador

http://www.cyclingne...stage-1/results

Try and make sense of that, what an absolute mess! :lol:

Anyone but Contador, Schleck, Radioshack, Basso for me.

Edit: Schleck has to be the overwhelming favourite now, he`ll gain more time tomorrow in the TTT. Either Contador will come out attacking in the mountains or give up and go home(my prediction). Really hope somebody can attack Schleck, or we could be in for one borefest of a Tour.

Edited by Desert Nomad

Edit: Schleck has to be the overwhelming favourite now, he`ll gain more time tomorrow in the TTT. Either Contador will come out attacking in the mountains or give up and go home(my prediction). Really hope somebody can attack Schleck, or we could be in for one borefest of a Tour.

it's early days for that yet.

contador will take at least 40 secs out of schleck in the ITT and don't think he will lose a great deal to him tomorrow. if anything it means that saxo will have to start the attacks early, maybe in the massive central. there's no chance contador will give up, even if he is 3 mins down he would probably still be confident of making it up in stages 14 and 19 plus the ITT.

since it looks like no one got hurt i don't think we could have asked for a better start.

Good to see them booing Contador.

it looks like people who were ahead of the schleck/wiggins crash inside 3km but finished behind the 6 second group have been promoted to a 6 second finish. :blink:

we haven't heard the last of this.

If that is the case Contador's group should try and get the time gap from when the crash occurred inside 3km. I think they were only 40s behind at that point and almost certainly lost time due to the crash by Wiggins Schleck et al. Contador is certainly not out the race although it does mean he has to attack which makes the race more interesting.

The thing I'm dreading is Sky winning the TTT and getting the yellow jersey, hopefully Garmin do the biz and Hushovd is in yellow.

Cracking first stage with the sort of drama the tour always seems to serve up already. The time loss for Contador already puts a different spin on the race. Terrific finish from Gilbert. When Cancellara burst clear I though he would take some stopping but Gilbert nailed him. The spectator who caused the crash should be flayed.

Did anyone get retired yesterday for not finishing on time?

Nope

Cavendish whining as usual.

Aye talking pish as well, his team let him down badly for once by hitting the front far too early leaving Cav isolated, while Farrar had at least 2 men to launch him. Great work from Garmin.

Edit: looks like Cav should concentrate on his own conduct when sprinting: link

Tomorrows stage looks interesting...

tdf2011_4sp_600.jpg

Cat 3 climb to the finish, looks ideally suited to Gilbert once more. Wonder if it`s enough to tempt Contador into a little attack to regain some seconds? Would think it might be a little too much for Hushovd, so David Millar has a great chance of getting into Yellow, as long as he marks Evans up the climb.

Edited by Desert Nomad

Great quote from @nedboulting

Hushovd told me he was just "trying to put some sun cream on Cav's arms." He was just having a laugh about it. A load of crap, that disq.

i think they are worried that a full out sprint on a long straight road for the intermediate points will cause a pile up.

usually when there is a big sprint at the end the people who aren't interested are happy to ride in easy and get the group time. in the middle of the stage you still have idiots like cav and renshaw going all out but the full peloton is behind them still taking care of their own business. inside 3km crashes don't matter but with over 100km to go they can have a huge effect.

Edited by T_S_A_R