Procycling thread

myshkin

Just watched replay of end of stage, De Gendt, Pauwels and Navarro had no motos ahead of them, one following, crowd parts no problem.
Then we have Porte, Froome and Mollema, four motos in front. That's what causes the problem. ASO need to get shot of motos ahead of the riders in the finale.

Where would we draw the line here, I wonder. What if this had happened 5km from the end, would the times have been neutralised? 10km? Who knows?

The 3km rule doesn't apply on mountain stages, but given what happened today, they could've gone that route. Mollema would quite rightly be raging.

Agree with you, but and there's always a but, first time this has been done. Greg Van Avermaet will be wanting last year's San Sebastian Classic awarded to him. Can of worms.
ASO need to organise better, and UCI need to come up with hard and fast rules. Not fair on the riders.

I agree with both your points.

While on the face of it the decision to award times to Froome et al is fair, a precedent has been set with no real basis. Crashes and mechanicals happen all the time, for all sorts of reasons - its part of the sport. Where do you draw the line.

I agree with both your points.

While on the face of it the decision to award times to Froome et al is fair, a precedent has been set with no real basis. Crashes and mechanicals happen all the time, for all sorts of reasons - its part of the sport. Where do you draw the line.

As someone said on Twitter, why not award a time to Porte on stage 2 when he got that puncture? Wasn't his fault, after all...

No matter what was decided with this stage, you could always ask where do you draw the line.  This incident was different to most in that it was the fault of none of the riders involved.  Normally a crash is the fault of a rider and a mechanical is the fault of a team.  So for the commissaires, every pundit I have seen / heard comment, most of the riders I suspect, and me as well, the line is drawn at some point, as yet undetermined, on the other side of this incident.

The bottom line with this one is that had they not done what they did, the entire Tour would have been a nonsense.  This way, just one stage is a nonsense.  

Loved that chaos today!! I think they got it right with the times tbh. Would've been a scandal if Froome had lost 2 minutes IMO.

Young Yates is some boi. Provisional yellow while the commissaries were doing their thing and now clear in second. Very impressive. What is his TTing like? I'm not too sure. I can see Porte maybe sneaking up towards the podium after tomorrow. He looked super strong today.

Also, I'm really warming to Froomey, somehow. He's always left me feeling cold up till now but I'm really liking the cut of his jib in this race.

5 hours ago, Desert Nomad said:

a952f06adfddb0075a2c7e2204101a48.jpg

If he'd been the only one to go down, being third in line, folk would be asking why he wasn't looking where he was going? Fanny. ( That's BM, not you DN) lol.

Edited by kiddy

Le Tour have said today's ITT will go ahead in the face of the carnage in Nice last night. Good brave and forthright decision from ASO here that should be applauded. The ITT is actually reasonably fitting as it's a much calmer way of racing.

Oh dear, Quintana spotted getting a tow, by "holding the wheel" of the Mavic moto! Possible disqualification?

https://mobile.twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673/video/1

In any other case he'd be gone absolutely. Hardly matters, procession now. Froome could have this by 6 or 7 minutes by Paris.

Oh dear, Quintana spotted getting a tow, by "holding the wheel" of the Mavic moto! Possible disqualification?

https://mobile.twitter.com/assekevin/status/753720450551836673/video/1

I think he's pretty fortunate to still be in the race. What he did was probably overshadowed by other events, which might have saved him.