Procycling thread

myshkin

Mollema takes San Sebastian.

Attacks at the top of the final climb to catch Valverde, Purito & Galloping napping. TT's his way to the line whilst the others look at each other to close him down.

Wonder if the doping theorists will be out in force after that, after all some people were trying to convince us during the Tour that when Froome won a stage doing almost exactly the same thing it was only because he was whizzing out his nut.

Wonder if the doping theorists will be out in force after that, after all some people were trying to convince us during the Tour that when Froome won a stage doing almost exactly the same thing it was only because he was whizzing out his nut.

Mollema beats known dopers Valverde and Rodriguez. Nae bather.

Aye, if you like. If you are quite content with your worldview, don't let me stop you.

Is the 'Ride London' thing a World Tour event, or just a Criterium? Would that that prevent "Froomey" from wearing the Yellow Jersey at it?

Edited by kiddy

Aye, if you like. If you are quite content with your worldview, don't let me stop you.

Think you have missed my point. When Froome did it in the Tour there were a lot of folk trying to claim that breakaway as some sort of proof that he dopes, when in fact all it proved was that he caught his rivals asleep just like Mollema did yesterday. You or I have no proof if Froome/Sky/anybody else dopes but given that riders are still going up climbs as quick as known dopers then people have every reason to be suspicious.

Good article from Cycling News with Floyd Landis which is well worth a read. He now sells drugs for a living.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/hell-always-have-paris-floyd-landis-returns-to-the-tour-de-france/?utm_content=buffer2b05c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Surely you only wear the race leader's jersey in the race you're actually leading? It's only the World Champion's Rainbow jersey and National Champion's stripes you can wear in a different race isn't it? 

Why I ask if it was a Criterium, there are a lot of them take place directly following the Tour, where, I believe, Tour winners are allowed to wear the jerseys won the previous week.

Robert Millar wore his Polka Dot shirt for one such race, in Glasgow, following his win.

Edited by kiddy

15 minutes ago, garybs said:

BBC loosing coverage in the last 5k :unsure2:

The coverage was abysmal, verging on the unwatchable, at the end.

They even managed to miss Boonen crossing the line, on one shot!

Why I ask if it was a Criterium, there are a lot of them take place directly following the Tour, where, I believe, Tour winners are allowed to wear the jerseys won the previous week.

Robert Millar wore his Polka Dot shirt for one such race, in Glasgow, following his win.

Pretty sure I saw him wear that in George Square when C4 had their City Centre Cycling series. There's a framed one hangs in Bilsland's store in Saltmarshe, or at least there was.

Good article.

As Landis said in that piece, he was the unlucky guy to follow the COTHO and when he got pinged, the press took their frustrations at the behaviour of Lance out on him.

His interview when he came out is a fascinating insight into his feelings at that time - basically a big massive f**k you.

9 hours ago, kiddy said:

Is the 'Ride London' thing a World Tour event, or just a Criterium? Would that that prevent "Froomey" from wearing the Yellow Jersey at it?

UCI Europe Tour event given a 1.HC rating which is just below World Tour.

Transfer Update

Peter Sagan has signed for Bora-Hansgrohe on a 3 year deal, whilst Bora will drop Argon-18 as their bike supplier and title sponsor and move to Specialized bikes as they move up to World Tour. Whilst they have signed Leopold Konig from Team Sky to be their GC contender and Tony Martin from Ettix-QuickStep. They have also signed some of Sagan's Tinkoff team mates Juraj Sagan , Erik Baska , Michal Kolar and Maciej Bodnar

Roman Kreuziger has signed for Orica-BikeExchange, As already mentioned Contador has signed for Trek-Segafredo and Owain Doull has signed for Team Sky.

3 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Transfer Update

Peter Sagan has signed for Bora-Hansgrohe on a 3 year deal, whilst Bora will drop Argon-18 as their bike supplier and title sponsor and move to Specialized bikes as they move up to World Tour. Whilst they have signed Leopold Konig from Team Sky to be their GC contender and Tony Martin from Ettix-QuickStep. They have also signed some of Sagan's Tinkoff team mates Juraj Sagan , Erik Baska , Michal Kolar and Maciej Bodnar

Roman Kreuziger has signed for Orica-BikeExchange, As already mentioned Contador has signed for Trek-Segafredo and Owain Doull has signed for Team Sky.

Konig is still with Sky? Hadn't noticed.

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Konig is still with Sky? Hadn't noticed.

Me neither. 

A quick check on PCS, tells me that he abandoned both the recent Tour de Suisse and Tour de Pologne. I think he suffered a knee injury in February and that meant he's only race 23 days this year. One of those was winning the Czech National TT champs.

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Nicholas Roche also leaving Sky to join BMC. Seemed to never do much at Sky - you'd think with his grand tour experience he'd be leading the team at the Giro or Veulta or be one of Froome's super-domestiques for the TdF.

Back up for Richie.

Lizzie Armistead gets all clear for Rio despite missing three doping controls. She avoided the Mo Farah doorbell excuse. Defence paid for by the GB cycling federation. Absolutely mental. No way she should be in Rio.

Lizzie though. :wub:

5 hours ago, Desert Nomad said:

Lizzie Armistead gets all clear for Rio despite missing three doping controls. She avoided the Mo Farah doorbell excuse. Defence paid for by the GB cycling federation. Absolutely mental. No way she should be in Rio.

*resident doping conspiracist enters thread*

Well, aye. I have a few questions about this.

1. Why didn't she appeal missed test number 1 until after missed test number 3?

2. Why the f**k is a governing body paying for an athlete's appeal against an anti doping agency? Imagine the fallout if the Russian Athletics Federation paid the legal bills of a Russian athlete against RUSADA. But aye, those Russians are cheating b*****ds eh?

3. If she knew she was likely to have a visit from testers at 6am that morning, why was her phone on silent? I assume that was the time she had advised the doping control officer she was available, so, again, why was her phone on silent? Also, if she wasn't answering her mobile, why did no-one have the gumption to call her hotel room phone? Didn't they provide that number? If not, why not? Did the doping control leave a message on her mobile?

4. Why did no-one involved with British Cycling tell hotel staff that it was probable they were going to get a visit from a doping control officer?

5. Why, having missed the first test, did she not make damn sure she was available for the second? And having missed the second, why did she not ensure she was available for the third, knowing that she ran the risk of a four year ban if she missed it? Is there any reason why someone would miss three drug tests, aside from the obvious one?

6. Why was the World Champion being suspended for three weeks because of an anti doping violation (and missing three tests is an anti doping violation, make no mistake) not made public? I thought the UCI under Cookson was meant to be transparent? Why was she allowed to say that she missed the Giro Rosa and La Course due to "illness"? This stinks.

Enjoy your clean Olympic Games, guys.

*resident doping conspiracist leaves thread*